Normalising some 16bit data

sibarrick

Has anyone here with more compositing/signal processing experience got any ideas about how to solve this....

I have a bunch of grey scale 16bit image data that comes from a CT scanner. The problem is that the brightness varies from frame to frame and I need it to be consistent. I can probably fix it manually but its going to be very time consumming.

I've tried using the equalize cop but it doesn't do the job I need.

If I look at the histogram for each frame they pretty much have the same envelope with 3 peaks, one near 0, and the other 2 about mid way up. Basically what I'm looking for is a automatic way of aligning those peaks across all frames (at least I think that is what I want)

Anyone got any clever ideas about how to achieve that?

It's all 16 bit pngs. CT data looks a bit like an xray I guess. Bone shows up white and softer tissues grey, with empty space black, hence the 3 peaks in the data.

I have access to AE but nothing else. Can't remember seeing a normalising function in there, but then I know next to nothing about compositing. I'll take a look.

Actually..... cranking the frames before and after right up seems to be working.... maybe I should have played with it more.

Ah.... now I see what is going on. It works for most of the data, but some of it includes some horrible spikes. Which throws out the equalize cop. maybe I can remove those first....

Edited by sibarrick

Actually..... cranking the frames before and after right up seems to be working.... maybe I should have played with it more.

I wonder if it might help or hinder to break the image into luminance bands, running and reassembling might help? Or perhaps performing the correct within a gamma-corrected space?

Can the node correct an image based on reference images? Then perhaps you can play about and preprocess the inputs (say, pass filters or blurs, etc) and correct the originals.

I am more questions than answers today.. sorry..

I'm kinda trying everything you're suggesting, and coming to the same conclusions.

If I remove the high end stuff that is burned in then equalize what is left over a fairly broad range of frames that works quite well, unfortunately trying to blend the removed stuff back in is proving a problem at the moment.

As Jason says I need a way to make the equalize cop just see the despiked stuff but apply the result to the whole frame, masking doesn't seem to be working for this but I think I need to play with it some more. Its close....

Edited by sibarrick

I'm kinda trying everything you're suggesting, and coming to the same conclusions.

If I remove the high end stuff that is burned in then equalize what is left over a fairly broad range of frames that works quite well, unfortunately trying to blend the removed stuff back in is proving a problem at the moment.

As Jason says I need a way to make the equalize cop just see the despiked stuff but apply the result to the whole frame, masking doesn't seem to be working for this but I think I need to play with it some more. Its close....

What if you preprocessed, removing the spikes before equalizing? But, I guess detection of those spikes is tricky?