Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

sirogi

challenge: FoRest gump...

52 posts in this topic

another challenge....

the spec: come up with a system that would allow to plant trees (or whatever) on any surface, and use an offset control surface to define the scale of the objects....it would allow for interactive and procedural modelling, shaping the control surface would impact the copied obj...

(hint, whenever the control surface intersects and goes below the base surf, the trees should disappear....)

it would be nice if it was robust enough to plug any poly surface as a support surface and still work...

erm...in confusion, look at the pics :)

have fun!

post-21-1027022608.jpg

oops...i forgot something :unsure:

Nice work. :)

I got it to work on a flat plane, but I am still trying to figure out how to kill the cones that's facing the opposite direction on the sphere. :P

nice! :)

well done!

I just realized, comapring your pics to mine, that there is a hint hidden in my pictures! he he he... erm....intentionally...of...course :)

Actually your solution is more interesting because you use a lower-res mesh to control a high-res template!....

one tiny thing, try to fit the trees to exactly match the distance between the base and the control surf (ie: trunks at the base and peaks at the control surf)...but at this stage it's an nitpick!

Cool man, well done!

guess we'll wait for a couple more posts before sharing the joy..

c'mon guys!

hi all,

varying rez template, 1 very simple expression.

mine'd be simpler but mine culls the trees of zero height - (which are obviously invisible anyway)

post-21-1027190500.jpg

oops i did it again....

"distance bug" was fixed:)

Nurbs,Poly and 2 Primitive was used at once as a "Gardener" :P

post-21-1027197537.jpg

Thats not bad at all, well done.

I see your trees scale only in y, not uniformly like the rest of ours. (An easy fix)

Unless we get another entry (DaJuice?betty?), we're almost ready to present our solutions. What do you think?

J

Aieek... Please give us a few more days. I am still trying to figure out a different and more effective solution than I already have (which was more of a hack than a solution)... :unsure:

No entry from me, the monitor on my workstation is dead, so I can't do any 3d for a while.

I don't think I'd figure it out anyways. I'm a total noob compared to everyone else here when it comes to the meat of Houdini.

Gotta hit those tutorials. :D

I think I figured it out... Half way.

However, I am not all that excited with what I have so far... :unsure:

I still need to figure out a much more effective solution than what I have.

NEway, can't wait to see what you have, Jason. :D

post-21-1027295927.jpg