Challenge #2 - GreeblyPlank - crunch

crunch

Boy, this is fun. Alas, I don't have a lot of cycles to spend on it. I've probably already spent too much time (about 3 hours) - mostly waiting for pre-dicing to occur.

Here's what I've got so far...

post-211-1222911745_thumb.jpg

Stats:

Resolution: 640x480, 16x16 sampling, 2 diffuse bouces, Motion Blur + Depth Of Field

Ray-traced PBR

Render: 8 minutes, 1.9GB

CPU: Core2Duo @2.4GHz (so 2 cores), 64-Bit Linux, H9.5.245

Here's an AVI.

There are some bugs in the process. I know what they are, but unfortunately, don't have a whole lot of time to fix them. Another unfortunate thing is the visible seam in the sphere.

greebleM.avi

There are so many places I'd like to take this -- if I only had time. For example, I'd really like to do arches, I think I know how, but I've already spent too much time.

I also don't like the mix of greeble shapes, but it's all rendered now...

P.S. Render times were ran about 15 minutes a frame on a 4 core machine: PBR, 16x16 sampling, DOF & motion blur, 2 diffuse bounces, 0 glossy bounces.

• 2 weeks later...

In accordance to the rules, here is a .hip file and OTL. Please consider the above images/clips to be the

The greebling is done through a displacement shader (greeble.vfl), using UV space to determine the stamping of the greeble shapes.

The aliasing issue is due to the floor() function which creates discontinuities. It should be fairly easy to improve by filtering over a larger area -- but no time.

It should also be fairly straight-forward to put in textured greeble shapes.

The shader would need a fair bit of work to be used in production.

.hip file & OTL

greeble.tar.gz

Sorry, no animated screencap. Watching a renderer can be done on your own cycles :-)

Oh, the scene uses pre-dicing, so rendering at smaller resolutions is a grand idea.