PBR Attenuation in Glass Hack

anamous

Hey all,

Unfortunately depth attenuation in the Trace VOP doesn't work in PBR. In case anyone ever needs depth attenuation in glass in PBR, I use this cheap hack: I modified the glass material to include a gather loop that returns the depth of the glass at a sampling point, and I mix in the attenuation color with the refraction depending on that depth.

Limitations are mainly backlighting and the incredibly cheap VOP hackery :).

post-1116-1223898867_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Abdelkareem

pbr_cheap_att.hipnc

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a version with the extra nodes transferred to a "modern" glass material. Seems to baheva a bit differently, though.

For some reason blending with a constant BSDF gives me black, so this is with lambert.

The glass material does have attenuation built in these days, too..

post-2678-133716806426_thumb.jpg

pbr_cheap_atte.hipnc

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a version with the extra nodes transferred to a "modern" glass material. Seems to baheva a bit differently, though.

For some reason blending with a constant BSDF gives me black, so this is with lambert.

The glass material does have attenuation built in these days, too..

Hi eetu!

You can use "uniform volume" property for same geometry that surface and render two objects on same time: original geometry with mantra surface shader and their copy with volume shader. So you have volume inside shape with same form. Then you get physically correct attenuation closest to PBR philosofy as I think.

Edited by almatea