Unfolding systems

Vinz9

Hi,

Finally uploaded my master's project, with heavy use of CHOPs, L-Systems and copy stamping.

Except for the camera there is no keyframe animation :) Modeled, animated and composited in Houdini except for a slight grain added at the end in after effects.

unfoldingsystems1.jpgunfoldingsystems2.jpg

Whole animation (60 mo) (I will probably remove it at some point since I want to rework it)

Webpage link with trailer and french paper

I also uploaded some of the tests I did while I was learning Houdini :

Procedural modeling, animation and audio synchronisation tests

Hope you like it

Vincent

edit : some people asked me how the frequency driven animation tests were done, so here's a hip file. I've cleaned it a bit and added a few comments.

torus_extrude.hipnc

Edited by Vinz9

Thanks!

I forgot to thank everyone here and at the sidefx forum for all the interesting topics and stuff to learn.

Andz : The music was mostly made before the animation, except for the intro which I added after, some moving around and some parts shortened or lengthened. When I started to work on the animation I wanted to go back and change more stuff in the music, but I ran out of time... The music was an inspiration for the pictures which in turn where an inspiration for the music!

Edward : Thanks, I'll submit it to the gallery :)

Thanks all!

kleer001 : I'll probably post a hip file or two in a couple of days with some of the stuff. Are you interested in something specific ? Else the advice I can give is to play a lot with the operators and expressions, it took me some time to begin to understand how operators could be greatly customized by adding some spare parameters and expressions.

About the camera work, well it was not planned as much as it should have been, hence some not so great moves, but I really wanted a continuous shot, which made things more difficult

Swann : a friend told me he liked some of my tests animations better too! I wanted to use more of my tests in the final animation but I ran out of time, hope to be able to continue it (it was planned twice as long ;))