CHARACTERONPATH

freespark

ok,

I know this is suppose to be relatively simple, but I know I am making it very difficult. I have a character that is walking on a path. And, I have done this by parenting a "MASTER NULL" to the character's goals and to the character. I want the character to completely walk the path. So far what i've tried to do in order to accomplish this is by increasing the very last key of the Master Null's linear() position. However, once I do this the character wallks the whole path, but walks to quickly. So far, I have only made the character walk about a 1/4 of the way on the path. Is there a way to cheat so that I can make the character walk the path in the speed that it did prior to increasing the (Last key of the Master Nulls linear() position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there's an equation for this, but i don't know where to start. Thanks in advance!

Nevins

:huh:

Wow, this sounds like a walkthrough I had a while back. "Make it get there faster, but don't increase the speed."

Anyhoo, I don't think I totally get what you're saying, but this is what I think you're saying: You want to change the end position of your character, but not increase the speed at which it's traveling. The only thing I can come up with is to increase the length of the animation. Then add a keyframe at the end, and change that last segment to matchin(). That should keep it going at the same rate.

Cheers,

Snej

Yup,

very beautiful, and intuitive, but it get's closer to the end but no cigar. Plus, this doesn't take care of my oher question in regards to making the character walk the whole way, because and correct me if I'm wrong, my character's walk cycle does not match the length of the paths segment. is there a way to cheat this so it does? Or do i have to sit there and add keyframes for the rest of the entire length of the animation. Again, thank you much for the reply. It definitely gave me something to build on.

Nevins

correct me if I'm wrong, my character's walk cycle does not match the length of the paths segment.  is there a way to cheat this so it does?  

:blink: Well, I wasn't really clear on how you were going about the whole thing. If it's a looping cycle, you can also use the handy repeat() function, which will loop segments.

Cheers,

Snej

Hello,

Thanks again man. I really wasn't aware of the repeat() and matchin() functions. As far as doing it though, is it just a matter of scoping each channel, selecting the segments, and changing them to repeat(). Or is there a way to do this in the textport where I call on the channels where I want the repeat() function to begin and end and make them repeat(), or is there a way to quickly do this in chops even. Thanks again for all your help.

Nevins Duret

when in doubt, use exhelp :)

is it just  a matter of scoping each channel, selecting the segments, and changing them to repeat()

pretty much. you'll select the segments after the part you've animated, and then type repeat(firstframe,lastframe).

of course you can also do this in chops fairly easily. import all your channels, append a cycle chop, and you're rocking and rolling.

Cheers,

Jens