HOT1.0rc3 for Centos5

Marc

So this isn't strictly a HOT problem, but it's related :).

When I compile fftw, I get this error :

/opt/hfs9.5.241/toolkit/include/VM/VM_Math.h: In static member function ‘static void VM_Math::set(fpreal32*, fpreal32, int, const uint32*)’:
/opt/hfs9.5.241/toolkit/include/VM/VM_Math.h:333: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/usr/bin/ld: /home/march/libs/lib/libfftw3f.a(plan-dft-c2r-2d.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/march/libs/lib/libfftw3f.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

In my awesome google-fu skills, I found that it either means I cannot link a static library in a shared one, or that the system doesn't support position-dependant code in a shared library.

I tried recompiling the fftw libraries with --enable-shared, but that just broke the compile.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Marc

Hi Marc,

What was the compile problem ? I just tested it and it seems to work ok. I use x86-64 and Ubuntu 8.04 These are the commands I used.

> curl http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.1.3.tar.gz | tar xvfz -

> cd fftw-3.1.3

> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/dev/hot/src/3rdparty_linux_x64 --enable-single --enable-shared

> make install

Thanks to Suzanne I've been hammering on the HOT a bit in the last couple of days. I've managed to get a Win64 version running (you need VS2005/VS8, 64 bit fftw shared libs now included in the source dist and a 64 bit compile of blitz) as well as an OSX version (you have to build x64 fftw and blitz libraries).

But ... I've also found a problem with the VEX functions operation when used as a shader in mantra under H9.5.241. There is some strange interaction going on such that the displacement shader/material isn't being recorded in the IFD file using the Mantra output driver, though it works fine with the H8 Mantra driver. So I'm guessing it's related to SOHO. I've sent a bunch of stuff off to Sidefx support and hopefully we can get this debugged quickly. All the other functionality seems to working properly.

I've also put a new 1.0rc4 version of the source up on the odWiki that includes a small bug fix that got shaken out while getting the OSX version running. I'd recommend working with it.

I'm only going to make source code releases for the time being, it just takes too much time to compile, package and test binary releases for all the different OS variations, sorry guys.

-Drew

If only it were that simple.. :). (Meaning, it's the first thing I tried).
Edited by eloop

It configure's just fine, but when I run 'make' then it fails with this :

/usr/bin/ld: kernel/.libs/libkernel.a(align.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
kernel/.libs/libkernel.a(align.o): could not read symbols: Bad value

Plainly I've messed up my system somewhere. I compiled it on another fresh centos install and it compiled perfectly. SO in theory I should be able to just move the compiled libs across... right? Well, that's what I'm going to try now :). I'll update you with my progress.

Thanks

Marc

P.S. Would it be beneficial to make one permanent HOT thread? It might be easier to keep track of the notes.

So compiling the fftw libs on another machine worked fine, the SOPS compile without complaint now. However I'm getting this when I try and load the example file :

Houdini DSO - error on '/home/march/houdini9.5/dso/SOP_Ocean.so'
		libfftw3f.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Houdini DSO - error on '/home/march/houdini9.5/dso/VEX_Ocean.so'
Houdini DSO - error on '/home/march/houdini9.5/dso/SOP_Cleave.so'

I've checked and the libfftw3f.so.3 is in the lib directory (and it found it on the compile), so I'm not sure what it's complaining about.

P.S. Would it be beneficial to make one permanent HOT thread? It might be easier to keep track of the notes.

That would probably be a good idea, if it isn't too much trouble.

Glad you got it compiled. Hopefully I will be able to solve the problem with the vex displacement shading soon (the vop_dislacement.hip example displays the problem, try throwing down a new mantra output and rendering with it). I spoke too soon about the win64 compile, it's not working properly. I think there is something wrong with the MingW compiled fftw binaries that I'd downloaded. Anyhow I'm glad the linux version is mostly behaving itself.

-Drew

• 9 months later...

Hi Marc.

I am trying to compile HOT in my Mac. I have follow the instructions shown here:

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/ocean/docs/#osx

"

cd <where you extracted the HOT source>/src/3rdparty

./build_osx.sh

# now would be a good time for a latte ...

cd ..

./compile_osx.sh

"

but I have encountered several problems:

Here´s the log from the compile process:

"

Gondor:src user$ ./compile_osx.sh

Building and installing the Houdini Ocean Toolkit...

Linking with 'libblitz'

Linking with 'libfftw3f'

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf075a1131862a87493e9eee6542daf3ce2e99fa6da8f77b5847f185379b21c0d07c7334432be2e667bb645b4beee610fedae355440c2de177f891bc429445a0ff924994a3268d4a1ea011fcfe1d90a2e5"' -DVERSION=\"10.0.295\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMBSD -DMBSD_COCOA -DMBSD_INTEL -arch x86_64 -DAMD64 -fPIC -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fobjc-gc-only -c -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Cleave.o SOP_Cleave.C

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fobjc-gc-only" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++

g++ -bundle SOP_Cleave.o -arch x86_64 -fobjc-gc-only -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -L./3rdparty/osx/lib -lblitz -lfftw3f -framework OpenGL -framework Cocoa -rpath,@loader_path/Libraries -Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -F/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks -framework Houdini -o /Users/user/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib

ld: in /Library/Frameworks//Python.framework/Python, missing required architecture x86_64 in file

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf075a1131862a87493e9eee6542daf3ce2e99fa6da8f77b5847f185379b21c0d07c7334432be2e667bb645b4beee610fedae355440c2ced77f891bc429445a0ff924994a3268d4a1ea011fcfe1d90a2e5"' -DVERSION=\"10.0.295\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMBSD -DMBSD_COCOA -DMBSD_INTEL -arch x86_64 -DAMD64 -fPIC -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fobjc-gc-only -c -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Ocean.o SOP_Ocean.C

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fobjc-gc-only" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++

g++ -bundle SOP_Ocean.o -arch x86_64 -fobjc-gc-only -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -L./3rdparty/osx/lib -lblitz -lfftw3f -framework OpenGL -framework Cocoa -rpath,@loader_path/Libraries -Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -F/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks -framework Houdini -o /Users/user/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib

ld: in /Library/Frameworks//Python.framework/Python, missing required architecture x86_64 in file

g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf075a1131862a87493e9eee6542daf3ce2e99fa6da8f77b5847f185379b21c0d07c7334432be2e667bb645b4beee610fedae355440c2fe977f891bc429445a0ff924994a3268d4a1ea011fcfe1d90a2e5"' -DVERSION=\"10.0.295\" -DDLLEXPORT= -D_GNU_SOURCE -DMBSD -DMBSD_COCOA -DMBSD_INTEL -arch x86_64 -DAMD64 -fPIC -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fobjc-gc-only -c -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include -I/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o VEX_Ocean.o VEX_Ocean.C

g++ -bundle VEX_Ocean.o -arch x86_64 -fobjc-gc-only -I./3rdparty/include -I./3rdparty/osx/include -L./3rdparty/osx/lib -lblitz -lfftw3f -framework OpenGL -framework Cocoa -rpath,@loader_path/Libraries -Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Libraries -F/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.295/Resources/Frameworks -framework Houdini -o /Users/user/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib

Done compiling and installing the DSO's to /dso.

Done installing the icon files to /Users/user/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/config/Icons.

Done installing and editing /Users/user/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/vex/VEXdso.

All done. You can now try loading ../examples_and_otl/sop_simple.hip

Gondor:src user$

"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

6 GB RAM

OSX 10.5.7

Developer tools installed, Xcode version 3.0, gcc v.4

MacPython 3.0

Houdini apprentice HD (with paid license), v10.0.295

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to be a problem with my Python version, not working with 64bits codes. How did you compiled the previous version for Mac ?

Any help would be apreciated.