Releases

Jason

After getting the approval to submit the additions, I've included the simple version of the constraint implementation in bullet. In this implementation you'll find support for the hinge constraint. The latest version supports hinge and pin constraints as well as animatable contraints but there's one last bug I need to fix before releasing it. Enjoy.

SIM_HINGE_SOLVER.tar.gz

Edited by rony

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't tested with OSX since I don't have a mac. A couple of things you can do that can help.

1- Do you have the bullet libraries in the path? If so, when you launch houdini does it complain about missing function calls?

2- Try compiling with debug. In the compile sh file add a -g right after hcustom.

Then run houdini in gdb. In Linux you run it like that: gdb `which houdini`-bin

in gdb type: run -foreground

make it crash, then in the terminal type this: bt

That should give you a better trace so we can identify the problem.

Btw, the plug-in was build for version 11 (beta) of Houdini.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ron

Edited by rony

goldleaf,

good to know it worked. Yeas I was in the middle of the fractured object implementation until they pulled me into something else. The newest version of the plug-in is more stable and supports pin and hinge constraints. There are a few bugs I need to fix before I post it. If I ever have enough time to do so...

Cheers,

Ron

I put together icons for the bullet solver. To get them to work, you need to put it in $HOME/houdiniX.Y/config/Icons (Windows/Linux), or $HOME/Library/Preferences/houdini/X.Y/config/Icons (Mac).

There is one for the standard solver, as well as one for rony's hinge solver, just to differentiate the two in networks. Hope they prove useful.

post-3767-127555084659_thumb.jpg

bulletSolver_icons.zip

I setup a branch of the solver on gitorious to put some of the changes my professor has been making to bullet in the main bullet solver. It can be found at http://gitorious.org/bullet-physics-solver/rydalch-bullet-physics-solver.

At the moment, I've just added the ground plane to the Bullet Data DOP, and substeps (done by my professor, seth_ro18), which are on the Bullet Solver DOP itself.

Most of the stuff I'll be adding tot his branch was/will be done by him for his PhD work; I'm just helping to get everything possible in the main bullet solver, using the standard bullet libraries. Some of his work changes bullet code as well as the houdini plugin, and this way the improvements he makes to the plugin can be used by everyone.

Van Aarde, if these changes look good to you, feel free to merge them whenever you're able to.

Edited by goldleaf

Van Aarde, if these changes look good to you, feel free to merge them whenever you're able to.

Awesome. It's been a ages since I looked at the BulletSolver but I'll try to find some time to get it up and running and updated again. Thanks for the contributions, though!

Sweet! BTW, how did you compile the static version of the plugin, the one that didn't require any bullet libraries to be installed(in linux)?

The "trick", iirc, was to compile bullet as static libraries and link against that. The bullet libraries compile, by default, as shared libraries and it gets distributed as shared libs in Linux distros as well so you just have to make sure you are using the static libs. I think there was one tiny flag that needed to be set when doing the static linking but it has been a while; i can't remember the specifics. I'll see if I can find it.

how efficient is this physics solver? since it has support for basic shapes i figure it would be good to try some sand-like simulations with thousands of primitive active objects.

The bullet physics solver itself is really fast. Your biggest bottleneck is pulling in thousands of separate objects into DOPs (and this makes the DOP Bullet Solver really slow) and getting them out again.

For much faster simulations a Bullet SOP Solver would be better or even writing a sim application outside of Houdini (but this will require a bit more effort to convert geometry and result to/fro). The Bullet Sop Solver solution works like a charm, though.

That's cool Van! Do you have a version of the SOP Solver we could build and try out?

BTW, I'm getting this after building both Bullet(with shared libs set to off) and the Solver (no errors come up), and launching Houdini:

Houdini DSO - error on '/fse/rydalchc/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SnowSolverBullet.so'

/fse/rydalchc/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SnowSolverBullet.so: undefined symbol: _ZN16btCollisionWorld11updateAabbsEv

What was it in that post you did to compile static libs?

Thanks!

Edited by goldleaf

That's cool Van! Do you have a version of the SOP Solver we could build and try out?

I wish! I was co-developing the SOP Solver when I was still at BlackGinger so, unfortunately, the source is proprietary. But I think it would be a good idea to start with an open source one. I have been tempted to start work on that; I just haven't found the time.

BTW, I'm getting this after building both Bullet(with shared libs set to off) and the Solver (no errors come up), and launching Houdini:

Houdini DSO - error on '/fse/rydalchc/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SnowSolverBullet.so'

/fse/rydalchc/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SnowSolverBullet.so: undefined symbol: _ZN16btCollisionWorld11updateAabbsEv

What was it in that post you did to compile static libs?

Thanks!

Hmm...this sounds familiar...I might have compiled either bullet or the DOP Solver with an additional flag to prevent any symbol omissions (Maybe try hacking your hcustom script to add the -dynamic flag). I'll try it again over the weekend and post the solution if I can manage to find it.

I got it to work, apparently. I changed where I was building out the bullet libs, and use the cmake command on this page, then ran make and make install in the src/ directory. The *.a libs were then in /usr/local/lib, and the src files in /usr/local/include, which I had setup in my build script, and wa-la! It worked!

Bummer to hear about the SOP version; but the insights about the whole setup with bullet and SOPs vs DOPs is cool. Can't wait to someday use a tool like that; maybe someday Blackginger will generously release the code to the community, saving us all the trouble. Thanks Van!

Edited by goldleaf

I got it to work, apparently. I changed where I was building out the bullet libs, and use the cmake command on this page, then ran make and make install in the src/ directory. The *.a libs were then in /usr/local/lib, and the src files in /usr/local/include, which I had setup in my build script, and wa-la! It worked!

Thanks Van!

Good news, Chris! I'm glad it was that 'easy' :)