Realflow compatibility with Houdini 9.5

bhaveshpandey

hey guys any ideas about getting in the data from realflow to Houdini 9.5??

i guess there were third party plug-ins for the older versions of houdini..

i feel i can save meshes as obj and then import them in houdini(assuming it imports objs)

but in that case the data would be very limited (only meshes) and I would rather want to export more info than just geometry..

but is there anything similar for Houdini 9.5

P.S: I wonder why guys at Nextlimit dont come up with an official plug-in for Houdini??

hey guys any ideas about getting in the data from realflow to Houdini 9.5??

i guess there were third party plug-ins for the older versions of houdini..

i feel i can save meshes as obj and then import them in houdini(assuming it imports objs)

but in that case the data would be very limited (only meshes) and I would rather want to export more info than just geometry..

but is there anything similar for Houdini 9.5

P.S: I wonder why guys at Nextlimit dont come up with an official plug-in for Houdini??

There are realflow plugins compiled for 9.5, as well as the source code being available if you feel like doing it yourself. :) Just Search this forum (and maybe OdWiki) for it, you'll find it.

• 1 month later...
Because Houdini now has the same capabilities built-in and many more, and regarding fluids is now a direct competition for Realflow?

Wow, Netvudu, do you really think that? I am not a very experienced with Real Flow but I think that Real Flow fluid capabilities and integration with other software (like Max, Maya...) are a plus versus Houdini.

But lets see if bealobo sees this post and she writes her opinion on this matter ;)

Sorry for my english! :lol:

Guest xionmark

Hello,

There's always something so be gained by exchanging data with other applications, I can site hundreds of reasons and examples.

While Houdini has fluids now, Real Flow has it's place in the world of fluid dynamics & VFX despite it's limitations there's been some good work done with it.

More importantly, it has much more to do with the imagination and creativity of the artist/programmer that will differentiate your work from others.

Creativity rules! Be not confined to a particular way of thinking or software application!

And, yes, DCA (Digital Cinema Arts) will continue to support the Houdini/Real Flow plugins.

Peace and Joy,

Mark

Wow, Netvudu, do you really think that? I am not a very experienced with Real Flow but I think that Real Flow fluid capabilities and integration with other software (like Max, Maya...) are a plus versus Houdini.

But lets see if bealobo sees this post and she writes her opinion on this matter ;)

Sorry for my english! :lol:

Yes, I really think that. Also Realfow "integration with other software" is more like "disintegration with other software", as 90% of my problems with Realflow in the past came from faulty plugins and/or badly developed or simply non-working interoperability between Realflow and some other 3d app.

Anything you can export form Realflow to any 3d app, you can also export from Houdini to that app with similar effort.

Maya

Great answer. I surrender. ^_^

As you said, I have more experience with Maya and RF Fluids than Houdini. Also, Houdini Fluids has been hard to learn for me. Maybe it is for the change from Maya or RF to a procedural fluid workflow.

My experience with Maya y Real Flow had been good but I have not did complex scenes.

Once again Netvudu, thanks for your detailed response. It is helpful for all of us.

Hi all.

Im in the middle of a project where we use RealFlow on a very high level. And I must say the software has proven to be extremely unstable with more complex scenes - Its been

a nightmare and deadlines are in danger now - So Im not really happy with RealFlow.

So I hope Houdinis solution is more stable cuz Im gonna do some researche after this project to see what Houdini is capable of.

Also RealFlow is very prizy if youre gonna have like 8 licenses...

Just my 2 cents

Erik

duckling

Edited by Ezz

Guest xionmark
Im in the middle of a project where we use RealFlow on a very high level. And I must say the software has proven to be extremely unstable with more complex scenes - Its been

a nightmare and deadlines are in danger now - So Im not really happy with RealFlow.

Yea, it's a beast when trying to do anything other than relatively simple tasks. It's a wonder after all these years that the stability issue hasn't been addressed, it's not like the software has gained all that many features over the last 3-4 years.

Patience comes in real handy with RF.

Mark

• 4 months later...
There are realflow plugins compiled for 9.5, as well as the source code being available if you feel like doing it yourself. :) Just Search this forum (and maybe OdWiki) for it, you'll find it.

Hi Jason ..

which version of 9.5 or 10 is working good with the realflow plugins ? I tested it with 9.5.303 (vc7) .. and it just crashed after 1 minute .. ? no way to get it to work

Thanks

Guest xionmark
Hi Jason ..

which version of 9.5 or 10 is working good with the realflow plugins ? I tested it with 9.5.303 (vc7) .. and it just crashed after 1 minute .. ? no way to get it to work

Thanks

9.5.303 is kind of old, try 9.5.379.