A hello to everyone

To start with,a hello from a newcomer.After playing around for some time with maya,and 3ds max 2 days ago I decided to do the move and get houdini apprentice and try it out.

Before I do start with the extremely noobish questions let me introduce myself.

My name is Alex and at this point I am studying 3d animation(mostly self study as here in Greece pace is really slow on animation).Hopefully some time next year if I am given the chance I would like to go and take a master in visual effects.Having searched solutions only affordable solution as it seems in the Horizon is the Bournemouth digital effects program.Doing a research I discovered they Use houdini in their program along with Fusion.(drums rolling....agony gets high....)Yes you understood correctly.I started wondering what houdini is (i know about the power it has in the industry).Wantint to be more prepared I decided to give it a first try by my own and learn the program.So I downloaded the free version,and got the magic of houdini book...I opened the program for the first time ready to show off at my cousin some stuff that could be done in the program and guess what happened...I think it was like hitting my head in a brick^^.This program is WAY too different than maya and 3ds max.I knew it would be hard to learn but heck did not think it was that bad.

Anyway to put the story short,I am not dissapointed that the program is that different,instead I have all the patience needed to start learning.I would like though to do some questions to the experts.Would be nice if you did answer.

1)Houdini and modeling.Doing a very fast search I discovered procedural modeling.(I know houdini is not that famous for its modeling stuff).Anyone would like please to tell me,when we mean procedural modeling we are talking about some kind of houdini modifier,or its programmable modeling?

2)Houdini and its toughness to get the basics.How long does it take a noob to learn the basics and get a grip of what is going on?

3)Houdini philosophy in general : What to expect,how hard is really Houdini and finally the biggest question of all :

I want one day to be able to work in a big company.I know digital domain uses a lot houdini.Question would be the following:

I do realise that for sure there are particles and dynamics in the program inside.Is C++ and python essential?(For sure for crazy effects I would need them)

If it is easy for you,could you do a small introduction in houdini?(Do not ask crazy stuff you know lets say that when Max or maya had modifiers houdini has that option.)

Thanks in advance,and hopefully I get slowly slowly good so I can show off some stuff!!!(Even though I do know I have a long road ahead)

Alex :D

Firstly welcome to odforce!

1)Houdini and modeling.Doing a very fast search I discovered procedural modeling.(I know houdini is not that famous for its modeling stuff).Anyone would like please to tell me,when we mean procedural modeling we are talking about some kind of houdini modifier,or its programmable modeling?

A perfect example of how the procedualy modeling would be a tree,

because if u can think of how the branches split and how complex the shape is, if u were to have to model each branch and each shape and each join, u might be there for a while,

especially if u have to make many variations :) ie in a forest.

however if u can think of a cunning way to use l-systems to form the basic shape and then some clever way to join up the different branches, u can setup a system that can scale and is procedural, u change one or two parameters and have many variations because they depend on those parameters.

2)Houdini and its toughness to get the basics.How long does it take a noob to learn the basics and get a grip of what is going on?

Thats hard to answer, but i personally think that its quicker than u think, its a logical program, its just BIG because its got so many sides ie

pops, sops, dops, rops, vex,, vops, chops, etc: each with their own uses and mostly based off the similiar philosphy but it will only frustrate you to think that its something u have to learn all at once.

the wonderful thing is once u get your head around the basics, u can grow from that knowledge because.

with all the material available on odforce, sesi and the various sources of video tutorials, its a wonderful time to actually pick up to tool.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=132

hope this helps

:)

Welcome to Odforce!

Houdini is procedural in the sense that each operation is 'live', in a chain of 20 operators you can display the last one and go all the way up to the first and change it's parameters - those changes will flow down through the chain...

you'll see this in action in some of the basic tutorials

if you have any experience in another application it shouldn't take you too long to get familiar with the way Houdini works - just do all the tutorials and read the help files when you can...

I do realise that for sure there are particles and dynamics in the program inside.Is C++ and python essential?(For sure for crazy effects I would need them)

NO.

C++ would only be used when you wanted to create your own operators, python is going to replace Houdini's scripting language (Hscript) so eventually you'll learn a few bits of python...but it IS NOT essential, not in the sense that a knowledge of mel is needed to do anything in Maya.