Casting shadow on i3d

chang

I found this one already. Little bit too hard as this kind of point cloud volumentrics example is coded. I want something in VOP's. Some good examples. Anyone? Something easier.

20133[/snapback]

They are in VOPs! I just downloaded to check. Haven't had time to work through it all but I can see VOPnets. :) For example, take a look inside the pcBulletHoles example. There is a sopDisp VOPnet inside the model object. Also, at least some of them look like fairly simple cases so should be a great way to get you started. pcBulletHoles looks like it just uses a render ROP to save out the particles' positions and then the positional information is read back in with the pcopen VOP inside the sopDisp VOPnet.

I know that, but I'm looking for volumetric examples only, not geometry. Look for i3d one - there is old and new method. The old one is i3d, but new one is modified i3d with code.

Everyone is talking about using poin cloud for creating volumentrics, everyone says it's faster, but nobody can show anything? Show me how to create volumentric cloud with point cloud.

I know that, but I'm looking for volumetric examples only, not geometry. Look for i3d one - there is old and new method. The old one is i3d, but new one is modified i3d with code.

Everyone is talking about using poin cloud for creating volumentrics, everyone says it's faster, but nobody can show anything? Show me how to create volumentric cloud with point cloud.

20154[/snapback]

Fair point ... hey I'd like to see that too. Anyone?

• 4 months later...

During last days i'm looking at "clouds" and smokes.. and i was wondering if this thread can go on with examples using i3d.. pointcloud .. and how to "shape" such volumetric clouds ... (maybe Jason can finish his tutorials ? :P) .

thanks for any helps/examples about this... I'd like to know how to create big explosions for examples... or clouds where to "fly throught"..

cheers

I'm rendering a flipbook right now with a different approach ..

animated Lsystem->scatter->metaballs copied-> i3dgen->bound->shader.

generation of 250 i3d took around 20 minutes (128 res)

now rendering .. which is doing about 1/2 frames per minute (640x480)

I've got problems during firsts frames which are rendered already that apparently fits to the Bounding box.. but the odd thing is that after some frames this problem disappears..

I'll post a flipbook as soon as I'll finish it.

thanks for your reply btw, my point was actually also *if* and *how* such i3d can be used for big explosions, smokes, or any particular (yet spectacular) effects in production.. are they *the* tool in houdini? or I should stick a bit more on POP for that?

what if i wish to create a "walking" smoke.. like a smokes which grows on the floor.. flooding a corridor's floor .. dunno.. just to make examples..

i'd think that with animated metaballs/i3d that could be done pretty nicely.. but that's a guess of a noob on this :D

My question at the end was also totally teorical, to better understand the realu use for i3d. :)

cheers.