eetu's lab

eetu

I just held a two-day workshop on growth techniques at Bartlett School of Architecture this week, and quite liked it, maybe I'll make a video tutorial on this stuff

Mate a video tutorial on the quaddel growth stuff would be epic!

It is also good to see someone from this forum cracking the architecture establishment; VFX skills are so transferable among many different industries - architecture being one of them. I currently work in urban research and design and am trying to get houdini up and running in our office!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Something a bit older, as with much of these things I was supposed to do something good looking with it,

but as that hasn't happened yet I'll just post these smile.gif

hit0163.png

This ugly thing is a texture map creator test really. The object is hit by particles, and the texture map gets damaged

at the hit location.

anim, and the texture map after getting hit by the particles.

hey, I know it's been a log time since this post, but any chance sharing the hip file or elaborating more how it's been put together? trying to do basically the same thing now. Any help/elaboration would be greatly appreciated. thanks, D.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess would be some kind of texture bombing setup where you use point clouds to sample little UV patches onto the collision geo. You then use those patches to lay down little bullet hole RGBA textures, and then composite those into the main shader using their alpha channel.

My guess would be some kind of texture bombing setup where you use point clouds to sample little UV patches onto the collision geo. You then use those patches to lay down little bullet hole RGBA textures, and then composite those into the main shader using their alpha channel.

well, that is something I could figure out too :) the question is more about how to get that working. with some help, I was able to put a texture onto a point. good start. what I need to figure out is how to get a proper orientation matrix for the projection so the texture is not stretching when you are projecting onto curved geometry. turned out to be harder than I tought and we couldn't figure out the proper math for this yet. it is kind of working but not really. another thing that might be hard is doing that for any number of points. it obviously will be a loop inside of a shop network. that is something I have not too much experience with and found it rather difficult so far.  

• 1 month later...

This time something that might even be useful, a tonemapping COP.

I've recently worked on game tonemapping, and thought why not implement some of the operators in Houdini. This time written in VEX.

Operators I implemented are from Reinhard, Insomniac Games and John Hable.

Some of the parameters can be a bit opaque, so I implemented a simple preview of the curve overlaid on the image.

A preview video

I guess I should do this in Nuke too..

Looks really nice to use, especially with this curve. I have a problem, though, running the file on Houdini 15.0.313. Your node returns that error:

Non-float value for 'previewScale'
Unknown parameter: '2'

post-15068-0-76987000-1454425115_thumb.p

Edited by OskarSwierad

Looks really nice to use, especially with this curve. I have a problem, though, running the file on Houdini 15.0.313. Your node returns that error:

Non-float value for 'previewScale'

Here attached a modified version working in H15.

ee_tonemap.otl

Edited by fsimerey
  • Like 2

Hi Francois.

I was trying to use Eetu's tonemapper this morning too and he pointed me back here to get your amended version.

For the sake of better understanding VEX, would you mind telling me what was causing the error?

Thanks for posting the update too...

Hi Francois.

I was trying to use Eetu's tonemapper this morning too and he pointed me back here to get your amended version.

For the sake of better understanding VEX, would you mind telling me what was causing the error?

Thanks for posting the update too...

Hi Tim,

in fact my patch is ugly. The Parameter 'Preview Extents' (previewScale) was declared as a UV (vector2).

And there seems to be a bug here. The White FS Point was declaring his value :

and not his name. In pragma, i changed UV to UVW(vector3) and the default parameters in cop2 tonemap() function with 3 parameters :

vector previewScale = {2.0,2.0,0.0};

Now all is fine except the preview Extents have 3 parameters, the last one is useless.

You can rename "White FS Point", to "White  Point" at the line 24, its original label.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while.

I tried to get some pretty and detailed fractals into Houdini from several fractal programs, either as a mesh or a stack of 2d slices, but I didn't get anything clean enough. But Entagma to the rescue!

Here's some Mandelbulb goodness; pretty much just the Entagma setup, but with some animated parameters, rendered as fog, and with a very simple orbit trap from iq to get some colors going.

mandlhd2.jpg

mandlhd.jpg

ee_mandelbrot_13.hipnc

ee_mand.mp4

Edited by eetu
  • Like 6

Wow, that is really nice. I highly recommend downloading and watching the mand.mp4 video.

So is that brightness some kind of emission output from the orbit trap?

Edited by Atom

4 minutes ago, Atom said:

So is that brightness some kind of emission output from the orbit trap?

Nope the brightness is a tube light running through the fractal :)

The hip is now attached, missed it at first.

I'll just give a small shoutout to a tiny hda from inside the previous hip. This deletes everything but the largest connected piece from the input geometry. I don't know how many times I've built the same thing while cleaning meshes, so I hope it can be useful to someone else too.

ee_largest_piece.hda

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2015 at 8:14 AM, Kardonn said:

On 12/13/2015 at 0:09 AM, davpe said:

well, that is something I could figure out too :) the question is more about how to get that working. with some help, I was able to put a texture onto a point. good start. what I need to figure out is how to get a proper orientation matrix for the projection so the texture is not stretching when you are projecting onto curved geometry. turned out to be harder than I tought and we couldn't figure out the proper math for this yet. it is kind of working but not really. another thing that might be hard is doing that for any number of points. it obviously will be a loop inside of a shop network. that is something I have not too much experience with and found it rather difficult so far.  

I tried to find the file, but it must be too far down in the annals of history and I could not find it. Must be on some backup somewhere.

I remember it was a weird setup. I got the uv coordinates of the particle hit, and copied a crumpled sphere to the spatial xy-position of the uv value. (x=u, y=v.) I had a second camera rendering the 0-1 range where these hit markers were floating, and a cop network that composited the rendered images on top of the atlas texture mapped on the original geometry. Fun :)