Giant Freakin Robot

neonshaun

gfr_w_fixes.0466_cover.jpg

Title: Giant Freakin Robot

This is my first student project for studio 2 at scad. It was a collaborative project involving several people, months of hard work, and plenty of challenges.

Al Torres: Lighting, shaders, modeling (maya+MR)

Bum Joon Kim:modeling, animation (maya)

'Neon' Shaun Galinak: Effects (houdini), supporting animation, textures

Adam Flynn: Compositing (shake)

Here's a low res h264 of it:

http://neonshaun.com/studio/movs/gfr_web.mov

A separate breakdown will be done by Monday. Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by neonshaun

post that model so we can rig it in Houdini - where it belongs :)

Haha... I wish I could. The model is really big and clunky. The transformer was a ~100mb file referenced into another big file for all the animation and passes. It glitched out and crashed A TON. This was then exported with fbx (or sometimes obj's converted to bgeo's) into houdini. Is this how studios do it? FBX was such a headache... the only thing i could really count on it for was cameras and lights.

The transformation for the bot doesn't really have a rig right now... I think bum joon made it all individually keyframed geo until it stands up... :o

Looks great, although the sounds effects is kinda weird, especially the transforming part. But the animation and the looks are good!

Great job!

May I ask what is your major at scad? BFA or MFA?

-ray

I was hoping someone would call us out on the sound effects! They were thrown in (by me... haha) the night before the project was 'due.' None of us are planning on using the sound on our reels, so it's just sorta there for now.

I'm a visual effects major. BFA with 1 semester left! :unsure:

Thanks for all the compliments/comments guys!

neonshaun: hey shaun, how are you? Regarding to the effects breakdown, I think you do not have to breakdown every single little effects. You can do a generic one on smoke, primary debris, secondary debris, primary sparks, sec. sparks and the compositing of the bg plate, Depth of field if you have any and roughly that's it. You can combine the smoke to one pass and debris to another pass if you want to.

Nonetheless, it looks good and I congrats for your efforts.

PS:SCAD is coming over to my country for a roadshow and admission talk at the end of this month. I will check them out. :)

regards,

-ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...