$LIFE in POP network

Michael1

I have a POP network in which I have a colour node which uses $LIFE in the 'Lookup' section to control a colour ramp to change the colour of the particles in their lifetime. This works fine, I then have another colour node which has $LIFE controlling an Alpha ramp, which should fade out the alpha in the lifetime. This does not work, I'm stumped as to why it doesn't work. Both nodes have $LIFE in the look up, the only difference is that one is affecting the colour ramp, the other a alpha ramp.

Any ideas?

I have a POP network in which I have a colour node which uses $LIFE in the 'Lookup' section to control a colour ramp to change the colour of the particles in their lifetime. This works fine, I then have another colour node which has $LIFE controlling an Alpha ramp, which should fade out the alpha in the lifetime. This does not work, I'm stumped as to why it doesn't work. Both nodes have $LIFE in the look up, the only difference is that one is affecting the colour ramp, the other a alpha ramp.

Any ideas?

Try this in the Lookup

$F / $NFRAMES

Not sure what you are after it helps if you leave a hip to play around with the POP you made.

For anyone who might need to do something similar, this is what we did:

Basically the lookup of the color and alpha of the particles is now done (in Michael's file) outside of the pop network by feeding the $LIFE into the shader. This way the pop network doesn't need to be re-simulated. $LIFE is the normalized age which is then used to drive some ramps in the shader.

For anyone who might need to do something similar, this is what we did:

Basically the lookup of the color and alpha of the particles is now done (in Michael's file) outside of the pop network by feeding the $LIFE into the shader. This way the pop network doesn't need to be re-simulated. $LIFE is the normalized age which is then used to drive some ramps in the shader.

hi pclaes...is it possible for you to put up the .hip file. The POP_Alpha.hipnc file whic is posted, uses the color sop to play with the alpha.