POPs, VOPs and the pythagorus theorem

speshist

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to create organic looking structures using particles and trails whose movement and behavior is guided by a recursive expression based on the pythagoras theorem. I want the particles to move as a flock, then split and branch out into groups after a certain time interval, the direction vectors of which are perpendicular to each other, eventually forming a pythagoras tree after several recursions.

I want the velocity of the particles to be influenced by the direction vectors that are calculated using the pythagoras expression, so that the movement of particles smoothly blends from the initial velocity to the new velocity.

I thought of a solution to this: a flock of particles are birthed from the origin with the initial velocity of (0,1,0). After a specified time interval, this flock breaks up into 2 groups. The first group is influenced by a directional vector that is an offset of its initial velocity by a certain angle, in any of the axes. The second group is influenced by a directional vector that is perpendicular to that of group 1. Also, when every flock divides itself, each new group gives birth to a new set of particles which join that group to form a new flock.

I think a VOP pop is a good way of doing these vector calculations, but I am having trouble offsetting the velocity of the particles by a certain angle, especially when the value of the angle is dynamic (governed by a certain parameter/attribute), so as to not form a very geometric looking pythagorus tree.

How would I influence the velocity of the particle groups so that they blend from initial velocity to the new velocity?

I am quite new to POPs & VOPs and still very much in the learning stage, so your help, suggestions and tips will be much appreciated!

I have attached an image to illustrate my idea.

Cheers,

Anshul

post-4476-1235871076_thumb.jpg

Hi, maybe you should better use l-systems?

Hi mic, I've had a little play with the L-system node, however I really do not have a clue on how I would implement it in my particle system! The aim of the exercise is to form patterns in 3D using flocks. Would you be able to give me an example of how I would implement the L-system?