PBR masking

do you mean the raybias in the glassproperties ?

my ior is 1/1.488 and like i ve said i use one shader for all objects.... and it looks the the raybias in the shaderproperties is lower than al thicknessvalues in the scene...... hm

i dont know ... it looks a little strange you re right but .... ?

does the flask really look like solid glass for you .... i placed a mesh with a liquid shader inide ...:) rel fluids .... hm maybe i should try that

here is the scene again

impala_pokal_v6.hipnc

Edited by hatrick

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and.... what do you think .... the strong refelction of the water in the flask ... how would you control it ?

i think it comes from the huge white reflector at the back of the pocal which is placed for the transparent(refractive) glassparts in the scene.....

hm ?!

does the flask really look like solid glass for you .... i placed a mesh with a liquid shader inide ...:) rel fluids .... hm maybe i should try that

here is the scene again

Yeah, I mean the neck of the flask - not the body of liquid. I'll take a look at your scene in a second:)

and.... what do you think .... the strong refelction of the water in the flask ... how would you control it ?

i think it comes from the huge white reflector at the back of the pocal which is placed for the transparent(refractive) glassparts in the scene.....

hm ?!

could u upload texture?

Yeah, I mean the neck of the flask - not the body of liquid. I'll take a look at your scene in a second:)

Yeah, I found that your mantra1 ROP>PBR>Raytracing Bias was 0.1 - which is longer than the thickness of your glass, making the ray step over the reverse side of the glass; so the ray then didn't get refracted back, and went on to strike the far side of the glass, being diverted further and then missing the next opportunity to get refracted back yet again.

The rule of thumb with Ray Bias is that you should have the Bias set to the smallest value possible before you start seeing glitchey self-intersection artifacts. Otherwise you must endeavor to reproduce every reflection and refraction possible by keeping this number as small as possible. Take care to make your Reflect + Refract Limits as high as reproduce every noticable light interaction too. 4 refraction bounces for the fluid in the flask is too few - since there are at least 6 interfaces that a ray must pass through, right? 2 glass refractions, then 2 liquid, then 2 glass again. The Glass Material has a fairly low default here.

Getting the right refraction from the water in the flask is also a little tricky. Be sure to try to get all the refractions going.

post-4-1237861943_thumb.jpg

do you have the time for some tiny tweaks on the glass in my scene...? i think a hip file would help me a lot...

thx for the info it sounds logic... i tried to lower the bias value in the mantratab but somehow the tube looks the same as before....

do you have the time for some tiny tweaks on the glass in my scene...? i think a hip file would help me a lot...

thx for the info it sounds logic... i tried to lower the bias value in the mantratab but somehow the tube looks the same as before....

Up the Glass material Refract Limit and Reflect Limit to 8, 8

ok

here is a new render.... i incresed the refl an refr limit to 10+ for the glass and basic liquit...for the glassarm the only way for me to get a propper result was to decrease the ior balance from 1/1,488 to 1/1,20...

Strange thing is that scattered piece of geo in my whater....

thanks a lot for your help guys...

post-4387-1237912353_thumb.jpg

ok

here is a new render.... i incresed the refl an refr limit to 10+ for the glass and basic liquit...for the glassarm the only way for me to get a propper result was to decrease the ior balance from 1/1,488 to 1/1,20...

Strange thing is that scattered piece of geo in my whater....

thanks a lot for your help guys...

Looks great now! Well done.

That piece of geometry is probably where the water is close to the flask - and the raybias is sometimes skipping it, sometimes not. To all intents of and purposes, considered co-planar due to the ray bias inaccuracy.

i lowered the raybias as far as the scene let me but it`s still higher than at least the thickness of my bottle...

Out of curiosity, have you tried a photon caustic version? You have good surfaces for it.. (although not very focussed light sources).