What is the fewest number of processes to run Houdini?

I'm curious, what are the fewest number of processes "running in the background" necessary to run Houdini for both winXP and Vista? Has anybody tried this? Am I being too ____ ? ;) If not, or if there are others like me, I'm curious if their lean, mean machine showed renewed signs of life.

FWIW, I have 49 processes running in winXP ( 32 bit ) and 67 processes running in Vista ( 64 bit ).

Also, is it possible to have 2 user accounts, and then switch to the streamlined user account to run Houdini?

Thanks.

I wouldn't get bogged down with a number, it's more about what services are running. Having an inoccuous little process like the clipboard running in the background won't have any tangible effect on rendering...but having SuperFetch running categorically *will*. I'd look up Tweakhound or other web sites out there that detail the different services in Vista and the various risks of shutting down particular ones. It ships with a handful of really production-unfriendly services running.

Cheers,

J.C.

If you're using local licensing mode (for Apprentice/Educational/Apprentice HD), then there are no background processes necessary. Otherwise, you need two additional processes: a license server (sesinetd) and license client (hserver).

I wouldn't get bogged down with a number, it's more about what services are running. Having an inoccuous little process like the clipboard running in the background won't have any tangible effect on rendering...but having SuperFetch running categorically *will*. I'd look up Tweakhound or other web sites out there that detail the different services in Vista and the various risks of shutting down particular ones. It ships with a handful of really production-unfriendly services running.

Cheers,

J.C.

J.C. - thanks for this. will look into Tweakhound. this all would be so much easier if sidefx would come out w/ a DOS port.... *and* the accompanying config.sys file.

If you're using local licensing mode (for Apprentice/Educational/Apprentice HD), then there are no background processes necessary. Otherwise, you need two additional processes: a license server (sesinetd) and license client (hserver).

edward - i'm was mainly aiming at how many resources were "lost" before even running Houdini... but thanks for this. it was beyond what i was thinking about.

still curious if anybody has setup their pc w/ multiple user accounts and having one streamlined for DCC. perhaps as J.C. pointed out most things are "harmless" but it still burns me how much is used up and when other apps, running silently in the background, decide to update themselves.

thanks for the help in this.