Voronoi - dynamic - location based fracture (WIP)

johner

Johner this tool is amazing, thanks...i'm pretty new here and in houdini too, still trying to get use to the whole node base working behavior; i was working in a project breaking a street somehow, and this tool is gonna be a wonderful help, thanks again, i will post future wip for some c&c...

Some new test with vornoi - great tool!!!

Thanks Igor. Good to see you doing more cool stuff with it. Just curious, did you do the sim in Maya, or import the already DOP-simulated pieces?

Johner this tool is amazing, thanks...i'm pretty new here and in houdini too, still trying to get use to the whole node base working behavior; i was working in a project breaking a street somehow, and this tool is gonna be a wonderful help, thanks again, i will post future wip for some c&c...

You can do some nice further deformation on a fractured 2d surface that you're then going to extrude, so it's pretty easy to get away from the straight edges that come out of the Fracture SOP by default. See attached:

street_pieces.hip

post-2001-125851200952_thumb.png

Thanks Igor. Good to see you doing more cool stuff with it. Just curious, did you do the sim in Maya, or import the already DOP-simulated pieces?

johner everything was done in Houdini, export from Houdini as point cache and import in Maya for render with Vray...

My idea is to fill up this two models with RF fluid...

You can do some nice further deformation on a fractured 2d surface that you're then going to extrude, so it's pretty easy to get away from the straight edges that come out of the Fracture SOP by default. See attached:

thanks for the .hip file johner i will start playing with it...show you later what i have accomplish...thanks again.

This tool is glorious!! The human model here was originally 27k points, polyreduced to 4k. I am using the dynamic fracture, with a scaling metaball. The crack is making 1700 pieces... And it only took 11min to sim out!!

This is an H264 test of an energy explosion I am working on... The idea is that the guy erupts with energy. As for now the first shock wave is red, but I am only using that as a mask so I can make it look more like distortion in comps... Any feedback would be awesome! TIA

Particles_test_016_H264.mov

Once again suuuuuuperb tool!

I am having a slight problem that i dont have a clue whats really causing it and its when i play around with startframe for dopnetwork!

I think have pinned down the problem to the rbdobjects input sop and the wierd thing is that in the voronoi dynamic sample file it works changing the startframe (and creation frame of rbdobject) as it should.. but when i try just copying the network and make a new torus obj and change startframe the object disappears when it impacts and should be fractured... the pieces appears in the details view but 0,0,0 position etc.. and the wierd thing is when i played around having copied your bowl and making new torus obj, some obj works and some dont it just feels random and i dont have enough experience in dop so i cant seem to pin down the problem... i attached a file here where my torus disappears at impact when having different startframe on the dopnet1 than 1 (it disappears when changing to 1 too until i hit recook simulation button)!

/the confused man

*edit* : oh and is there a way to escape the warnings that u get when copy+paste any of the voronoi DA´s?

voronoiFracture_dopStartFrame.hip

Edited by Magnus Pettersson

I don't know how much help this is going to be but, here is what I got:

If you want the simulation to start at frame 13 (which is where I presume you want it to be?), why not just control it in the individual object(s)? When I set the Creation Frame to 13 and the dopnet1 creation frame to 1 (in the torus RBD object), the object was fracturing like it was supposed to. So that may be the route you want to go.

As for it disappearing, I went inside the Fracture Solver and found that the torus disappears at the 'switch_no_impact_density' node. From the looks of it, that is the node that switches out the non-fractured to fractured geometry. I'm afraid I won't be much help with explaining the specifics behind it though.

Hope this helps and sorry ahead of time if this was stuff you already knew.

-Ryan

This tool is glorious!! The human model here was originally 27k points, polyreduced to 4k. I am using the dynamic fracture, with a scaling metaball. The crack is making 1700 pieces... And it only took 11min to sim out!!

This is an H264 test of an energy explosion I am working on... The idea is that the guy erupts with energy. As for now the first shock wave is red, but I am only using that as a mask so I can make it look more like distortion in comps... Any feedback would be awesome! TIA

The titles says particles... but did you use any volume fluids for the energy aura?

If this is particles-only, how many particles (sprites?) are you using for this render?

If you want the simulation to start at frame 13 (which is where I presume you want it to be?), why not just control it in the individual object(s)? When I set the Creation Frame to 13 and the dopnet1 creation frame to 1 (in the torus RBD object), the object was fracturing like it was supposed to. So that may be the route you want to go.

Ah thanks for the tip :) but i have made a test with having the dopnet creation frame on 1 and while it works for this simple example file its very unpractical in a production where you might have a long shot (or bad frame numbering or whatever the reason) so u got to have the startframe on lets say frame 1500 and then if u got 2-3 substeps u will get very big loading time before ur dopnet have calculated up to frame 1500 (even tho ur objects havent been created yet), at least thats the results i got when i have done several tests on this with having ur framerange start at 1500 in the timeline.

Ah and thanks for pointing out where in the DA that its not working maybe i will have some time to figure out what it is. But i wonder what the source of the problem is? Because some meshes works and some dont (it can even be same mesh like a torus!!) without touching anything in the DA.. maybe johner knows what the problem comes from? is it something related to SOP solvers?

thanks for the help :D

hmmmmmmmm. Well there is that check box above the creation frame on the RBD object that says "Creation Frame Specifies Simulation Frame. Do you have that selected? I have used it before with some scenes and it worked fine for me (even with the substeps higher).

hmmmmmmmm. Well there is that check box above the creation frame on the RBD object that says "Creation Frame Specifies Simulation Frame. Do you have that selected? I have used it before with some scenes and it worked fine for me (even with the substeps higher).

I dont know im doing anything wrong but when i tried that and put dopnet startframe to 1 and in creationframe 5000 and substep 2 (tried 1 also) and had my startframe at 5000 in the timeline and press "recook simulation" button i get a huge initial cooking time!

And i discovered something more, if you open my last attached file and change startframe on the dopnet1 to lets say 70 and recook and try that one, it does not disappear! I tried frame 13,14,15,25 and they all make the torus to disappear on impact.. some frames (dont remember which ones) it only disappears on the "switching frame" on the impact but comes back the next frame... and a lot of frames it does work fine. And i tried with higher substeps too like 10 but frames like 13-15 is unchanged (disappears) :blink::ph34r:

The titles says particles... but did you use any volume fluids for the energy aura?

If this is particles-only, how many particles (sprites?) are you using for this render?

yes im using sprites... i am birthing 3000 particles for the red blast/ shock wave part on an impulse at frame 6 i believe... then i am birth 1000 constant on the yellow flame looking sprites... then i am using the material palette dust sprite shader w a couple expressions to control a color pop in my pop net for color and opacity

-Glenn

I am having a slight problem that i dont have a clue whats really causing it and its when i play around with startframe for dopnetwork!

I think have pinned down the problem to the rbdobjects input sop and the wierd thing is that in the voronoi dynamic sample file it works changing the startframe (and creation frame of rbdobject) as it should.. but when i try just copying the network and make a new torus obj and change startframe the object disappears when it impacts and should be fractured... the pieces appears in the details view but 0,0,0 position etc.. and the wierd thing is when i played around having copied your bowl and making new torus obj, some obj works and some dont it just feels random and i dont have enough experience in dop so i cant seem to pin down the problem... i attached a file here where my torus disappears at impact when having different startframe on the dopnet1 than 1 (it disappears when changing to 1 too until i hit recook simulation button)!

/the confused man

Sorry, just got a chance to look at this. I think what you've found is actually a bug in the asset. The problem lies in the FracturedPieces DOP. That DOP is responsible for creating the new objects to represent the pieces created by the FractureSolver. There is a SOP Net in there that merges in the FracturedGeo and does a few manipulations with it to make sure we're dealing with the geo from the proper object, etc. Anyway, at some point the new geometry for each piece has to be attached to the newly created objects, and that's done by the SopGeometry DOP inside the FracturedPieces asset. It references the embedded SOP Network to get the geometry.

I had assumed that when a SOP Network embedded within a DOP Network cooked, the current time for it would be represented by $ST, the current simulation time, so that's the value for the Time parameter in the "get_new_piece_geo" SOP Geometry DOP. But I think the SOP Network considers its time to be $T, i.e. the current global time. Changing the value from $ST to $T seemed to fix your example and a few others I tried where I substepped the whole DOPNet, offset the start time, and scaled the time as well.

So, right-click the "fractured_pieces" asset, Allow Editing of Contents, change the value of Time in the get_new_piece_geo DOP from $ST to $T, and let us know if that fixes your problems.

*edit* : oh and is there a way to escape the warnings that u get when copy+paste any of the voronoi DA´s?

I've never seen this. Can you describe exactly what's happening?

So, right-click the "fractured_pieces" asset, Allow Editing of Contents, change the value of Time in the get_new_piece_geo DOP from $ST to $T, and let us know if that fixes your problems.

That fixed it, works like a charm now when i made some tests, thanks!

I've never seen this. Can you describe exactly what's happening?

If i put down a voronoi fracture sop and copy paste it (Ctrl+c -> Ctrl+v), i get this warning:

Paste nodes from clipboard warnings

Warning: Problem while synchronizing child node:

Warning: Invalid channel "depthnoisescaleramp3pos" specified in parameter.

Invalid channel "depthnoisescaleramp3value" specified in parameter.

Invalid channel "depthnoisescaleramp3interp" specified in parameter.

[/obj/geo1/jl_voronoi_fracture1/calculate_scale_add_noise_visualize]

I dont think this is a bug in your asset but a bug in the vop ramp node when having channel references from other nodes. Im not sure if its Linux that is the problem or if its a bug in my houdini version because I have tried to copy/paste your asset on my win7 laptop and it works fine but on the Linux computer i get this warning. On my win7 laptop i have 10.0.430 and on my linux box i have 10.0.249.5 .. I will take time today and install new version of Houdini at work and see if this solves this issue =)

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to digging through all the rnd you did on this. Really impressive stuff and very nicely presented for learning the tool too!

But it can get a little slow :). Especially for recursive splitting, whereby you have several levels of voronoi splits within each other. So I was wondering if part(s) of this could be done inside the hdk. Then I came across this old gem that you may not be aware of:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/CleaveSOP

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~sjr/cleave_sop/

The other great improvement would be to link this in with cuda, but that's a different story altogether.

I am only just taking my first steps into the hdk, but so far it has proven extremely powerful (VRAY dso related stuff) and I find it very interesting.

Your tool should really become part of houdini!

• Like 1

I finally got around to digging through all the rnd you did on this. Really impressive stuff and very nicely presented for learning the tool too!

But it can get a little slow :). Especially for recursive splitting, whereby you have several levels of voronoi splits within each other. So I was wondering if part(s) of this could be done inside the hdk. Then I came across this old gem that you may not be aware of:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/CleaveSOP

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~sjr/cleave_sop/

The other great improvement would be to link this in with cuda, but that's a different story altogether.

I am only just taking my first steps into the hdk, but so far it has proven extremely powerful (VRAY dso related stuff) and I find it very interesting.

Your tool should really become part of houdini!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you about the speed (or lack thereof) and I agree. I can't promise anything at the moment, but I hope to address this before too long.

I haven't really played with CUDA yet, been on my ToDo list for a long time (that and upgrading my video card to where it would actually be useful :).

BTW, I really enjoyed your thesis and the "jam project" writeup - great stuff!