Voronoi - dynamic - location based fracture (WIP)

johner

I just wanted to post some test results here to show how wonderfully this works with the Bullet implementation that Jason started a while back, I'd really love to see both of these things become standard parts of Houdini. Here's the vid...

http://vimeo.com/6638366

Huge kudos to John and Jason!

Very cool! I've really been meaning to spend some quality time with Jason's Bullet solver and just haven't had a chance yet. There was talk on the Bullet forum about some sort of glue functionality being added to it as well, which could obviously be really useful for this stuff as well.

Very cool! I've really been meaning to spend some quality time with Jason's Bullet solver and just haven't had a chance yet. There was talk on the Bullet forum about some sort of glue functionality being added to it as well, which could obviously be really useful for this stuff as well.

That does look nice:) I'm very glad someone is using it! It is still due a bit of an overhaul to make sure it's done right by copying the *right* way to do it from the ODE Solver DOP C++ code that now ships with Houdini. Anyone have time to do it? ;)

Hey there, how can install and use Voronoi?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I used "install digital asset library" to install the latest OTL, but what to do next?

I tried to open up some example files but always get error messages about Problems with synchronizing child nodes.

Please Help.

I am using WinXp 32bit

Edited by mezmerrizer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is a fantastic tool, thanks, I've learned a lot from looking through it.

I am trying to use it to blow up a toy soldier but I'm having difficulty combining the RBD and pyro. I am very new to Houdini and would appreciate any help!

I break apart the soldier using the explosion fracture and use object merge to get the geometry into a new container. When I tell the pyro tool to use this geometry as the source it creates the tree but nothing happens when i tell it to simulate. Why is this?

Hi there, this tool is AWESOME!

I have a question about getting texturing to work with it. i've just set up a test scene with a sphere and a teapot, and throwing them at each other, using your "dynamic fracture" method in dops. However, when I tried to add a rest sop and material sop, inside of the geometry sops (the sphere_object1 and the platonic_object1)... The material is not showing up in the render.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the great work!

Jonathan

**FIXED** in post below

Edited by itriix

I tried to edit my last post to attach the file but for some reason the attach file wasn't showing up... This is my hip file, where I cannot get the materials to render. There is another problem however with this... I tried to turn off the visibility of the dopnet, and instead, used dopimport nodes inside of the sphere_object1 and platonic_object1 geo nodes... and set their visibilities to ON! However, as soon as the frame hits 13, the geo disappears. I've had this happen before but never could figure out what the problem was. This isn't something due to you're asset, but was thinking you might know why this is?

Thanks for the help...

Jonathan

**FIXED** in post below

sphere_and_teapot_frac.hip

Edited by itriix

Fixed my problem...

Problem:

1. Geometry disappears when trying to use dopimport nodes and turning off the visibility of the dopnet.

2. Could not get the materials to work with the objects.

Solution:

There were two geo object nodes: sphere_object1 and platonic_object1... their rbd names were set to: sphere and teapot respectively.

In the Dop Import Nodes I set the settings to:

In the sphere_object1 dopimport node:

DOP Network: /obj/AutoDopNetwork

Object Mask: * ^teapot* ^groundplane*

Use Single Object: Unchecked

Import Style: Fetch Geometry from DOP Network

Everything else left default... The main part that fixed my problem was setting the object mask like i did. I'm assuming, when I used it with the standard way of using the dopobjscreatedby expresion, it wasn't able to find the "peices"... *just my guess there*

so then I did the same thing for the platonic_object1 but instead of having ^teapot*, it was changed into the ^sphere*

Cheers all,

and thanks for the tool again Johner

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

Hello Johner,

Was just curious about MOTION BLUR... I threw a teapot at a sphere using your dynamic fracture method. There is something odd looking at around frame 10-12... right when the teapot hits the sphere and the fracturing occurs. It's as if the motion blur stops for one frame right at impact and it makes the objects look as though they are fracturing before hitting.

Truly though everything is fantastic, just curious what I could do to fix this? I turned substeps up to 2 on the dopnet, turned up xform samples, pixel samples... thoughts?

Seriously awesome tool though

Jonathan

**Maybe Fixed... rendering it now**

just upped the substeps on the dopnet node to 5

rbd.mov

Edited by itriix

and here's the hip file. *not sure why, but not able to edit my posts to add attachments still*

**Maybe Fixed, rendering it out now**...

just upped the substeps on the dopnet to 5 =

trying to find out why i cannot use the full editor when i edit my posts... anyways, posting my new movie test with the substeps to 5

sphere_and_teapot_frac_02.hip

Edited by itriix

*FIXED* motion blur problem

just getting some flickering in my render now but i think it's due to shadow samples or the map size

here is substeps at 5...

xform time samples at 9

pixel samples at 9

*shadow samples at 2*... thinking that's probably why i'm getting the flickering...

also, added inside detail to the fractures

rbd2.mov

Edited by itriix

A few more observations...

Even after the sim has completed and everything has come to a rest... Quite a few peices are rendering very blurry... As if they were still in motion, with motion blur.

You can see it in this video...

and here are a few images from different angles and closer... The peices are at a complete rest here!

Thoughts?

Jonathan

rbd3.mov

post-3821-125472325338_thumb.jpg

post-3821-125472325437_thumb.jpg

post-3821-125472325526_thumb.jpg

A few more observations...

Even after the sim has completed and everything has come to a rest... Quite a few peices are rendering very blurry... As if they were still in motion, with motion blur.

You can see it in this video...

and here are a few images from different angles and closer... The peices are at a complete rest here!

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Howdy,

Sorry, just got back in town and catching up on messages. This is a weird artifact that I should probably figure out a way to fix. I'm assuming you're using velocity motion blur? The artifact is due to the way the transfer of velocity works within the SOP Solver that fractures geometry within the Fracture Solver. It pulls the geometry to be fractured in with point velocities, then does some interpolation and creates the new fractured geometry from which to create new DOP Objects, also with point velocities, which gives the new pieces their initial velocities, if that makes sense.

The problem is that means the individual geometry pieces have the point velocity attribute from their creation time, and by default the DOP Import SOP adds to those existing point velocities on import from DOPs. So, just uncheck "Add to Existing Velocity Attributes" on the DOP Import and that should go away.