MPlay Export Problems

A few days ago I installed Houdini 10 at home on my Ubuntu 9.04 system. Everything works great so far except for exporting movies from MPlay. During the export MPlay saves a temporary sequences of images in the /tmp directory before handing them over to ffmpeg or mencoder but it throws an error message saying it couldn't write to /tmp, and to make sure the drive isn't full and the directory permissions allow writing files.

I'm not new to Linux and have checked that the drive does have plenty of room and the /tmp directory has full permissions. Also ffmpeg and mencoder are installed and work fine outside of MPlay. Is there some variable I can use to tell MPlay to dump files somewhere else, or am I missing something? On another note does anybody know of something else to use in Linux to make movies from image sequences (with a GUI, ffmpeg and mencoder in CLI are cumbersome)? Thanks very much!

Hay luke,

Not sure what the trouble with mplay might be. The thing is, it doesn't look like you can change the encode quality for movie export anywhere and they come out very heavily compressed. So it might not even be worth it to you. I'm sure you'll still wanna figure out why it's borked though. As far as converting image sequences to video in linux, here's a really handy ffmpeg command for that:

ffmpeg -i paddedsequence_%04d.jpg -r 24 -vcodec huffyuv movie.avi

-i specifies the input, %04d is equivalent to $F4 in Houdini, and -r would be the framerate of course. You end up with an uncompressed avi that you can then convert to something nice in one of the numerous GUI converters. Avidemux has been pretty good to me.

Hay luke,

Not sure what the trouble with mplay might be. The thing is, it doesn't look like you can change the encode quality for movie export anywhere and they come out very heavily compressed. So it might not even be worth it to you. I'm sure you'll still wanna figure out why it's borked though. As far as converting image sequences to video in linux, here's a really handy ffmpeg command for that:

ffmpeg -i paddedsequence_%04d.jpg -r 24 -vcodec huffyuv movie.avi

-i specifies the input, %04d is equivalent to $F4 in Houdini, and -r would be the framerate of course. You end up with an uncompressed avi that you can then convert to something nice in one of the numerous GUI converters. Avidemux has been pretty good to me.

Using ffmpeg as a stepping stone to an application with a GUI something I didn't consider. That makes it a lot easier because the command line arguments for ffmpeg for things like bit rate and scaling the image are really cumbersome. Thanks for the info, I think I'll go try Avidemux. Cheers!

EDIT: Wow, that's all I really have to say. How the hell did I not know about Avidemux before?

Edited by lukeiamyourfather