Search 3 letters word

Hi,

It's sad that we can't search a word with only three letters, for example try to search 'vex pop' in the search form, it don't return any result... Search '"vex pop" site://odforce.net' on google and you'll see 31 results... It may be wanted, or came from your database search function which only allow four letters words. If you want to fix this i can help you as i've done a search function for our company database which works pretty well... Or you've may have planned to fix it with the new website.

Cheers

Nico

Edited by Div

Good idea.. I've changed it to minimum of 2 character now. :)

Are you saying, Jason, that this wasn't a limitation of search engine but setup? Do you know how many times people were cursing odforce's search for that reason! :blink:

he, he, funny...

Edited by SYmek

Are you saying, Jason, that this wasn't a limitation of search engine but setup? Do you know how many times people were cursing odforce's search for that reason! :blink:

he, he, funny...

Yeah.. sorry; I just found the preference. :ph34r:

um, sadly though the preference won't do anything since by default MySQL fulltext searches only search 4 characters or more.

Happily though I just quickly googled it to make sure I wasn't incorrect in my thinking and apparently since mysql5 you can control that by changing a setting in mysql :

"The minimum and maximum lengths of words to be indexed are defined by the ft_min_word_len and ft_max_word_len system variables. The default minimum value is four characters; the default maximum is version dependent. If you change either value, you must rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes. For example, if you want three-character words to be searchable, you can set the ft_min_word_len variable by putting the following lines in an option file:

[mysqld]

ft_min_word_len=3

Then you must restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes."

Buut... sadly again this means rebuilding the FULLTEXT indexes. Which means the server has to go through all the posts you people have sullied our clean forum with over the last 10 years and reindexing them ;), which may take a while.

So hang tight, it might get better soon :thumbsup:

I had to use google search to find that one... sigh ;). I was a bit grumpy with that fellow eh? I must have been tired or something :sleep1:

I'll hack the mysql planet tomorrow, I promise.

• 1 month later...