Breakup poly

If you use the Facet SOP and click on "Unique Points", it'll break up your model into unique primitives. You can move them apart procedurally using the Primitive SOP.

Try that out..

J

Wow, that's pretty amazing. I should try this aswell sometime...

try this also for fun:

make a particle network, pop down a source pop, and use the geometry you want to break up as your source. change emission type to Prim center.

then in sops, plug your gometry (with unique points) into the first input of a primitive sop, then the particle network into the second input. Turn on Do Transformation, and change Rotate to Template to Match Normals. Hit play, and you've got yourself some exploding geometry! Extrude the suckers, and you've got chunks.

Cheers,

Jens

Go to SESI's Community page & click on Effects under the Learn section. Download the Breaking_ice.pdf file. After you finish the Breaking_ice.pdf, continue to break more stuff with the ice_bash.pdf file.

I think the Breaking_ice.pdf has been taken down due to problems so try it out after it's fixed.

Now you say... I should indeed try it out. And in fact, I remember a "breaking ice" tutorial. (I might even downloaded it)

But what was the problem with the tutorial?