PRMAN in houdini? Please help me!

Hey there guys, this is my first time posting on these forums although I have been lurking for a while. I am interested in using prman with houdini but have a few questions to ask.

Houdini 10 has built in renderman shops, but how do I construct a shader? I am assuming that the renderman that comes with houdini is limited.

I want to get an evaluation copy of renderman so that I can experiment with it in houdini, but can't find anything. The renderman site only has renderman for maya evaluations.

What can I do to start using renderman and building/writing shaders? Where should I turn to find an eval/license?

Is there any slim or mtor hiding on my system somewhere with this houdini version?

Any help with this is greatly greatly appreciated. :)

I'm a noob when it comes to this so don't be too hard on me.

Edited by mightcouldb1

Hey there guys, this is my first time posting on these forums although I have been lurking for a while. I am interested in using prman with houdini but have a few questions to ask.

Houdini 10 has built in renderman shops, but how do I construct a shader? I am assuming that the renderman that comes with houdini is limited.

I want to get an evaluation copy of renderman so that I can experiment with it in houdini, but can't find anything. The renderman site only has renderman for maya evaluations.

What can I do to start using renderman and building/writing shaders? Where should I turn to find an eval/license?

Is there any slim or mtor hiding on my system somewhere with this houdini version?

Any help with this is greatly greatly appreciated. :)

I'm a noob when it comes to this so don't be too hard on me.

Hi,

PrMan doesn't come with Houdini by default, it has to be installed apart, then you will be able to use its shaders and stuff that ship with houdini.

that wiki page may help

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/PrManSetup

Cheers

Houdini doesn't come with any "renderman" version, only support for shaders and RIB generation. The standard Houdini renderer is called Mantra. If you want to use either PRMan or Mental Ray, you will have to purchase standalone licenses from their respective makers. More information on PRMan is here. I'm not sure if Pixar offers evaluation licenses of PRMan Server.

"Renderman" is actually a specification that many renderers follow and extend. Some open source alternatives (that can be used with Houdini, although some functionality may differ from PRMan) are Aqsis and Pixie.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

I think the way you construct shaders for Renderman in Houdini is close to how Mantra shaders works - So its not a waste of time to find out how

Mantra works imho.

3Delight offers a free license with 2 processors support. You might check that out. I have bought the The Renderman Shadinlanguage guide wich is very good.

Just my 2 cents

Erik

I have obtained a copy of RenderMan Pro Server from Pixar, and am desperately trying to set it up. I have read the odwiki page but am completely lost when it comes to setting up the environment variables.

I ran cmd and entered "hconfig -ap" but am unsure of where to enter the path. I am also a little unsure of what path I am entering. On the wiki page it says to point to render.exe, slc.exe and prman.exe which I assume would be located in C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer\bin.

Is there any other location I need to point to? Do I need to change any renderman variables/files? Could someone solidify this for me? Maybe give a quick step-by-step with a couple of examples?

I'm sorry if I am being a burden to this forum, but a wouldn't post here unless I was exhausted of resources (or completely failed to understand them).

Also I haven never run a Python command in Houdini(although I do speak python) so how can I run this slo2otl.py command?

Any pittance is much appreciated.

Edited by mightcouldb1

I have obtained a copy of RenderMan Pro Server from Pixar, and am desperately trying to set it up. I have read the odwiki page but am completely lost when it comes to setting up the environment variables.

I ran cmd and entered "hconfig -ap" but am unsure of where to enter the path. I am also a little unsure of what path I am entering. On the wiki page it says to point to render.exe, slc.exe and prman.exe which I assume would be located in C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer\bin.

Is there any other location I need to point to? Do I need to change any renderman variables/files? Could someone solidify this for me? Maybe give a quick step-by-step with a couple of examples?

I'm sorry if I am being a burden to this forum, but a wouldn't post here unless I was exhausted of resources (or completely failed to understand them).

Also I haven never run a Python command in Houdini(although I do speak python) so how can I run this slo2otl.py command?

Any pittance is much appreciated.

1. you need to add following lines in your .chrc file, for houdini to know where is your renderman located

set path = ($path /usr/local/prman/bin /usr/local/rat/bin)

2. slo2otl.py have to be like this slo2otl.py -l myshader.otl myshader.slo

cheers,

Junaid

Edited by junaid

1. you need to add following lines in your .chrc file, for houdini to know where is your renderman located

set path = ($path /usr/local/prman/bin /usr/local/rat/bin)

2. slo2otl.py have to be like this slo2otl.py -l myshader.otl myshader.slo

cheers,

Junaid

Oh I probably should have mentioned that I am running windows so I don't have a cshrc file. Or at least I don't think I do... that extension is only on Unix, right?

Ok so everything is working properly now with the exception of the proto_install to allow prman to render in the mplay window. It seems that there is something wrong with my display driver? Anyway, just as long as I can build shaders now, I am happy.

I had some errors when running the proto_install. All of my paths are set properly and prman is rendering, just not in the mplay window. Here is the text from the d_houdini.dll file with the exception of the binary.

TLOSS error

SING error

DOMAIN error

R6034

An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

R6033

- Attempt to use MSIL code from this assembly during native code initialization

This indicates a bug in your application. It is most likely the result of calling an MSIL-compiled (/clr) function from a native constructor or from DllMain.

R6032

- not enough space for locale information

R6031

- Attempt to initialize the CRT more than once.

This indicates a bug in your application.

R6030

- CRT not initialized

R6028

- unable to initialize heap

R6027

- not enough space for lowio initialization

R6026

- not enough space for stdio initialization

R6025

- pure virtual function call

R6024

- not enough space for _onexit/atexit table

R6019

- unable to open console device

R6018

- unexpected heap error

R6017

- unexpected multithread lock error

R6016

- not enough space for thread data

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

R6009

- not enough space for environment

R6008

- not enough space for arguments

R6002

- floating point support not loaded

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

... <program name unknown> Runtime Error!

Maybe someone here can make sense of this. Thanks!