Planet Earth Help

So I'm trying to get all the effects together for this web series I'm going to try and film in the next few months and I've already run into a problem. Most of the effects will be done in After Effects, but there are a few 3d elements that I'm going to need. The first is a model of the Planet Earth seen from space.

I know the very basics of Houdini, the panes, most of the tools, and how to do basic animation. But I could really use some help on this if anyone could give me a hand. I loved that Earth I saw that Miguel (blank) did and that's actually what drew me to odforce website and I looked around for it but only found it in the gallery. So if someone could point me there because I thought he had some tutorials on how to do that I would really appreciate it if it exists. if not please please help because all of my funds will be going towards costumes and props so I won't be able to get a special effects guy to help me out so it's all resting on me. Thanks

Well I had to make an Earth seen from space some time ago in Maya, but the workflow is the same. First I did some search on Nasa`s blue marble site

to get textures in a high resolution. My renders was in 2K, so they had to be in a very high resolution.

Essential I did a render with 5 passes:

1) a constant shaded earth to make glow

2) a lambert shaded earth to to controle the glow

3) a beaty pass of the earth. Rember to map specular color to differentiate land and sea. Add bump/displacemnet where mountains are.

4) a cloudpass wich I displaced just a bit to get some shadoweffect.

5) a shadowpass.

Thats about that :-)

Also there is a ton of tutorials and threads on the web that covers the subject.

Hope it help.

Erik

Edited by Ezz