"up-rezzed" fluid smoke quick test...

Netvudu

I found these all add up to nice results:

* Change the volume filter to sinc on your volume object.

* Higher frequencies on your emitter will exploit a higher res sim.

* Some kind of film LUT/sRGB LUT or just a gamma of 2.2 might help in a perceptual way, instead of looking at it in linear.

I did a test with the pyro res at 120 / 180 and it was still fast, but with a sphere emitter it didn't really give it much sharper edges :/

I have just used billowy smoke with noise and that works well.... It needs rest of course.

Nice test netvudu.

I like this tool but there is so much difference between a real hi-res sim and a hi-rezzed sim. It's useful of course, but it's not a replacement for a hi-res sim from my point of view. I'm sure you agree

Having said that, Sam.h: "higher frequencies on your emitter" do you mean in the AutoDop/Upres smoke solver??? like the manual advice on setting this to even a lower value (0.7 instead of 1). What's the real effect (I haven't had much time to try it out)?

Cheers

I would recommend working with the shader as much as you can, working with both sim and shader at the same time seems to work best for me now that I know a bit more about the process.

There are a lot of things you can do with the modifiers to tighten up the edges of your fluid. ( like on a density modifier, create a sharp falloff in the curve) I'm still trying to get the hang of all these modifiers, but I can see their strengths.

As well, you could go above 200 for your upres...try 280 or more. Good luck , Ive been getting some amazing results with these tools, just a matter of figuring out how they work. It's a much different process than maya fluids, but the results are coming out better too, ( I can finaly say goodbye to maya for good ;)

Nice test netvudu.

I like this tool but there is so much difference between a real hi-res sim and a hi-rezzed sim. It's useful of course, but it's not a replacement for a hi-res sim from my point of view. I'm sure you agree

Having said that, Sam.h: "higher frequencies on your emitter" do you mean in the AutoDop/Upres smoke solver??? like the manual advice on setting this to even a lower value (0.7 instead of 1). What's the real effect (I haven't had much time to try it out)?

Cheers

I meant higher frequency details in the emitter... so rather than emitting from an object you could emit from a volume and mult in some noise...

Nice test netvudu.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you if this was an SPH sim, but to my eyes for SDF sims this technique could be quite valid. Accepting it

Edited by Netvudu

I would recommend working with the shader as much as you can, working with both sim and shader at the same time seems to work best for me now that I know a bit more about the process.

There are a lot of things you can do with the modifiers to tighten up the edges of your fluid. ( like on a density modifier, create a sharp falloff in the curve) I'm still trying to get the hang of all these modifiers, but I can see their strengths.

Sounds to me like you are talking about the Pyro VEX Shader, while if you read above you will undoubtly realize I said I was using the billowy smoke shader for the up-rezzed fluid...

...you can upres more things than Pyro FX, you know ;)

But just make the test hi-res/hi-rezzed and you'll see a lot of difference. If you want a close shot, let's say these kind of commercials where everything is slow motion and close to camera... I think you cannot get along with this solution.

I wish I could test the hi-res, but today I don