How to emit Colored Smoke

sanostol

Hi,

I'm trying to emit smoke in different colors. for example I have three emitters, and everyone should emit a different color. I'm stuck right now. I have a sourcerelationship dop to set the object as source, but how about color. Are the colors then advected?

Martin

Hi,

I'm trying to emit smoke in different colors. for example I have three emitters, and everyone should emit a different color. I'm stuck right now. I have a sourcerelationship dop to set the object as source, but how about color. Are the colors then advected?

Martin

Have a look at this file, it sort of works, although there is still some problem with the rest attribute for the smoke. I'm doing it with two "emitters" at the moment. I guess I will probably need rest2 as well as the noise on the smoke seems to jitter a bit - haven't looked into that area of volumes too much yet myself. You would add color as a separate attribute/field in there and then advect them with through the solver. I've also added "sources" but just by doing a max operation (if you look inside of the smokesolver this is what a source actually does - so you can just replicate that).

I tried doing it with the high res solver and getting a high res color field - but because I'm not actually copying my values from the low res field yet, the values are a bit off when you would use the high res field - it seems to give streaks/banding problems.

When you do your sim you might want to lower the upres sim to something more reasonable, unless you can split it over several machines as well. You'll have to modify some of the paths as I was using the transfer drive for some of my rendertests. Also I added a few output variables to the smokeshader so I could really examine the color diffusion as I was interested in trying that out for myself as well. I comped my final output a bit as I wanted to adjust the contrast and gamma a bit in post. (The grey background is just to distinguish between shadow and background, it isn't in the alpha so you can mask it out easily). I guess the best file would probably the one Jeff lait was showing in one of those fluid presentations, but I don't know it that file has been released.

Also you might want to have a look at the "attribute to volume asset" I made in this thread as it allows for easy transferring of all kinds of attributes (Cd as well - Johner made an even better suggestion in that thread to use metavolumes rather than point clouds for the lookup): http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=9325

Good luck with it and if you make some cool results, please post them back!

(I won't be on the forum for a week but I'll check when I'm back).

(attached movie is .mp4 format)

merging_colors_19.hipnc.zip

merging_colors_02.avi

post-1666-1247793357_thumb.jpg