od[force] Houdini 11 Wishlist

Guest Swann

It's already in there...

Now you tell me ?! :ph34r: thanks

And my second post ? Is there magic button "SPEED" somewhere hidden in Houdini menu that I don't know too ?

Edited by SWANN

• 2 weeks later...

We need multi-core support. Speed is the base problem of houdini

Speed isn't actually a problem in houdini , it's payment for power,flexibility and freedom. Hard Coded "black box" node like in maya-> speed. I don't thin that sesi can drastically improve performance.

Its fact. But the only hope is........GPU computing! Thats where we can get power + speed. ;)

Edited by Stalkerx777

Guest Swann

Speed isn't actually a problem in houdini , it's payment for power,flexibility and freedom. Hard Coded "black box" node like in maya-> speed. I don't thin that sesi can drastically improve performance.

Maybe I'm not geting something but is Softimage ICE not almost like Houdini ? I know that you get less freedom and it's more closed but I think if they could do it Houdini also can speed up. Problem is that everything in Houdini is slow. From viewport perfomance thru simulatons to rendering.

I'm not sure if GPU computing is the holy grail. it has a quite tight bottleneck. You only get speed if the stuff fits into the grafik ram.

and why would houdini take advantage of gpu computing when it does not from multicore support. If You cannot divide a job for threading, gpu computing does not make that much sense, I think

I think sesi is aware of the speed issue:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1464&Itemid=316

Martin

Its fact. But the only hope is........GPU computing! Thats where we can get power + speed. ;)

Yeah, they are most likely aware of the speed Issue. If its a priority is a whole other story. Personally I have never chosen Houdini for its speed though I would really like it at this moment. Sorry for my dry sense of humour but I just made a slogan :)

If Houdini where snappier I would be happier.

Edited by SoulVector

In the group sop I want to be able to select a edge loop, and be able to organize it via the sort sop.

My best thoughts on how to do this would be to go in and select edge loops and then infer the points in order of the edge selection. So edge 1 begins at vertex 1, down the line around the edge loop selection. If it was done via edge loops as opposed to just maya's border edge selection, then I think it would open a world more of simple solutions(thought straight up Maya border edge selection would be nice). For one instance extruding around just the edge of a shape, or being able to create a path around an object with the add sop there after.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my first project lighting inside houdini rather than a studio's inhouse lighting tool and what I would really love

to see is a non realistic fully art-directable fallin and falloff control for the spot and point lights. Basically

an artist can specify a distance from which a light starts contributing, to full contribution, and another pair for full contribution

to zero.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Basically an artist can specify a distance from which a light starts contributing, to full contribution, and another pair for full contribution to zero.

H11 has this in the Light object now, the ability to use a ramp for falloff with start/end distance parameters. There's just a single ramp, though, not two with a middle distance (if I'm reading you right).

• 4 weeks later...

So is it late to ask a normal map texture node in VEX/SHOP like bump map has?

A simple node like bump map but with the parameter to choose the kind of space (object/world/tanget).

I'd really like to work with this one like I do for other applications (ZBrush, Blender, game engines and so on)