Nate:Best Effect: Cyber Fight

MatrixNAN

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well I am having problems applying shaders to individual faces. Here is all the detials of what I have done. I figure shade knows the answer to this question. Please help.

Forum Shader Question Post

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Hey Nate,

Sorry it took so long to reply back, been busy @ work. Glad you sorted out the problems.

Congrats to everyone too! Yippie we are all famous :)

Congrats to all defantly! B) Sorry to anyone who did not get into the mag. :( However there is always next houini contest which I heard there will be a new one. :blink: So there is a next time. He He. Shade I was not able to resolve all of the shader issues just a few thats all. I still am having problems with the diplacement mapping and the mulitiple shaders. Grrr My inexperience with Renderman / Mantra.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• 2 weeks later...

well I modeled the arm. There is no texture applied as of yet. Although you can do layered Displacement Geometry and manipulate it at the shader level and view it in real time in the Surface Editor, or you can just do a regular shader displacement. Check out the pin table example in the Community section of sidefx's website and then in the video section they have a displacement SOP for lava that works in that manner too. I suspect that houdini's method is more powerful than XSIs I know it is certainly the case with Maya.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

P.S. Thanks for Comments. :blink:

Ok this is the new pelvis I modeled after looking at and being inspired by undertakers model. :);)

TalzonWarriorPelvis_01.jpg

Oh and as Jens suggested I am scaling down my characters now that I am finishing the models of them. I unforniately have to delay my muscle modeling of my Cyber Character until after Christmas in which time I will model and shade those out. :);)

TalzonWarriorFront_02.jpg

That character I think is 1/10,000 the size of the world ship. They are going to fight on the organic tendrils.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

hey nate,

you don't have to take this advice whatsoever because it is completely your artwork, but I feel your textures somewhat hurt your model. i really don't want to come off badly at all because i've seen your process on this guy for some time and always thought your modeling was solid. but now that i see him so textured, and all that work you took so much time on with his modeling gets very flattened by the mere repetiveness of your scales (im assuming) texture. he had a lot of depth to him, and now he seems very computer generated 3d-ish..

hopefully you dont take this as an insult and more as constructive criticism since i know youre doing your senior thesis (just as i am) and would want it to be its best (just as i would).

thanks,

dave

Hey no problem about critism yeah I agree the shading is not right but the shading is also not done this is just the first step in the shader for him. Christmas I am really going to finish it up right but for now I am just going to do a 3 part shader and thankfully its all uv type mapping unlike the worldship which has both pos and uv. So I am going to shade the teeth bone and the horns and hooks as bone. The lips and gums are going to be a dark red wine purple color. Thats before christmas in like the next week or this weekend. We will see. lol Christmas I am going to model in the rotting skin and underlining muscle tissue. Then use a cell shader or vein shader to do the arteries. I am also going to hand paint in areas of his skin with the paint sop and my graphics tablet so different regions have their own coloring. I was thinking blue greens and reds maybe some yellows to in the different regions of his body. Like under his throat and on his stomach and chest. No fire away with crits I love them. They only help me. I have pretty tough skin. :);)

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

P.S. Thanks for the Crit. :DB)