silly challenge

oh yeah... hehe, even I've been to busy to keep up with the challenge, and it was my idea!

Anyhoo, my approach used almost no math or complicated expresions whatsoever :) That's why I thought this would be interesting. And as for making it roll along the hills (which I haven't had the time to do yet), I was looking to an approach that similar to the character/walkcycle on particles system. It also got me thinking about stone age cars, with square wheels, and full suspensions.... hmm... fun fun...

Oye... I'll have more time next week... I'm sure of it...

:)

Cheers,

Jens

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I know the solution... :( For crying out loud, I can't even make a cylinder to rotate like tire...

(No, I haven't give up just yet. This is an interesting puzzle to think about.:))

OOoo. Wait. I think I know how to mkae the wheel move like tire.

Hmm... the circumference formula seem to do the trick.

Hey, what program did you guys used to output gif animation?

Not that anyone cared. But... whooohoo. FIgure out how to roll the 1 box. Now I just need to figure out how to get multiple instances of boxes to roll. :)

Hey, what program did you guys used to output gif animation?

[/code]

I went hi and lo, hunted for dozen of share/free-ware.....and then used imagereday that came bundled with photoshop7, it was there all along, and did a short quick sweet job of converting the frames....

no previous training required : B)

Well, I have to call mine done for now. I couldn't figure out a way to prevent the triangles from sliding... The rest slide a little, but not really noticable unless I close to the objects.

Primarily the circumference formula that got it working, which I belive is probably the same as surflen(). However, there are few things in teh formula that I am still wondering "why". Couldn't come up with an explaination, but it jsut worked. ;)

Wrote a bunch of simple conditional custom expression function just so that I can give some randomness to the trans/rot/scale.

Dealing with the pivot is probably the trickiest. Some how I don't quite remember the pivot in H4 behaving the same way as H5 did... can any one comfirm this?

anyway, now I just need to figure out how to get it to gif. :blink:

Again, my solution is anything but elegant. It's quite messy, as a metter of fact. It'll be a long while before I got it to the "Jason-elegant" solution. (Howdy, Jason.) :D

well, nobody managed to get them rolling on hills :( I managed to come up with a particle solution, but I don't have anything good yet.

But you're probably right... lets start posting them solutions!!!!!! Wohoo!

:)

Mine was a silly one at first:

rotate the cube by 90 degrees, then pop it back to 0 (so $F%90). Then, I moved the cube forward by it's length every 90 frames (floor($F/90))

:D Stupid, I know, but it works. Well, of course there had to be some modifications to make them different sizes and speeds. $F turned into a channel reference, and I had to add some multipliers to take the size into considerations. All in all really simple though.

B)

Cheers!

Jens

well, I can't profve it to you right now, cause my friggin houdini won't render with motion blur... (?????????), but you could theoretically just add 90 degrees to it (rotated around the center of the cube) at just the right moment to counteract any bad and evil other rotations.... seee?????

So there.... if I can get this thing going, I'll post images.

Cheers!

Jens

FINALLY got round to finding some time for myself (ie for houdini...) to tackle this thing!

that should apease the spirit of the grand Tapir!

(wanted to throw in some texmapped faces, but ... too lazy!)

I had dreams a bout it for a while........wow! the power of your subconscious at work!

nevermind that mantra STILL doesn't support multi-segment blur (oh well, it's ok, I won't complain, I know it's hard to implement at this stage...but it would be soooo NIIIICEEE)

anyways, have a GREAT summer everybody (scorching hot here in SF!)

post-21-1028930355.gif