Linux

Bernard

Hello,

what's the best Linux platform (Fedora, Ubuntu, Red Hat,...)

I want to get a little into Linux...

thanks,

bernard

I use Ubuntu and IMO it works great, haven't checked other distributions but I don't see any problems with Ubuntu. H installs very quick and if compared to the Windows time installation I tell you it's ROCKET. Don't remember how H works under Windows coz last time I used Redmond's system was many years ago, but performance(from what I remember) is better under Ubuntu. I'm Still under 7.10 Gutsy but soon install new version. The main problem with Gutsy is when you turn on Compiz, Houdini starts to be sloooow, but this issue was fixed in last version.

Also you can install(I plan to do it too) 64bit version of Ubuntu which(IMO) will give Houdini wings.

what's the best Linux platform (Fedora, Ubuntu, Red Hat,...)

I'm not going to be the one start the which Linux distro is better, but I can say that I've been using Fedora (currently 11) with Houdini and it works. I suppose that's what's most important - a working Linux distribution that works with Houdini, and I'm sure there are several that work just fine. I will say that Fedora has regular updates and is backed by Red Hat.

I prefer Ubuntu these days, but they're all fairly good suggestions so far. I find Fedora just a little too buggy for my taste but it depends on what you're trying to do.

oh, and I've used RHEL/CentOS, Ubuntu and Fedora.

Stay away from CentOS though... unless the only thing you want to do is browse the net and use Houdini :). Anything else requires some technical trickery that's just not worth the time.

M

I use a distribution calles Ubuntu Studio (64-Bit): link to website

It's very similar to the standard ubuntu, but is pre-equipped with some tools for

media creation and its kernel seems to be optimized for realtime performance.

But I don't know if that is so important for non-audio apps like houdini.

Imho, the desktop looks way nicer, too.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...