Long hair grooming

Marc

There is the proto_install tool called Flowfield that you can give a try to do basic shaping of hair.

ok it's been a while and I completely forgot about this thread, but the flowfield SOP is very cool. Thanks for the example file, it's definitely intriguing.

Thanks

Marc

Hello, me again.

So let us say that I've combed a hairstyle in some other package and want to bring it in to Houdini to run through the fur system. Any ideas how I would do that?

It looks like the fur SOP requires the # of guide curves to be equivalent to the number of points in the skin geometry... Which is cool and all, except the chances of that happening when combing in another package are slim to none. Which makes the fur SOP a bit limited in my opinion.

And yes, I know it's called 'fur' for a reason. But what if you wanted to groom a complex furry character elsewhere, you'd be just as hampered.

M

• 2 months later...

how about something post-edit...like in This exemple...roots that stick at its root, root has a power attribute so orientation at the root is maintained..lenght is maintained...you can fu... around as much as you want..

the editSop would need a spring or rope model where the "root" would be anchored and the solver would iterate over the "active" hair's length.. I was wondering if you could hook something like it up via VOPs now... haven't looked myself. Then you could grab a single point and drag the entire curve around easily. You will still end up moving points in the traditional editSOP manner..

the other SOP that we all would benefit from would be a maintain my length SOP. editing and resampling the curves will get you something not the right length which could be a problem ;) Being able to maintain that attribute after adjustment would be great.

The flowFieldSOP is handy for sure when you want to ensure there will be almost no hair to hair interpretations... not the easiest thing to do but handy nonetheless.

there are all kinds of ways to manipulate the points in the long hair so you have a surface to model as well, it is just a bit more abstract.... thinking about a hair net that was a surface that was compromised of individual hairs at the same "depth" along the length of the hair itself...a few pointSOPs and sorting and bingo...... you could devise a way to move up and down the hair's length in a wafer approach were the brush tools would work.

-k

ik_curve_concept.hipnc

• 4 months later...

Sorry for reviving this topic but I am going to learn how Houdini Fur works. I searched the forum here and on SideFx and did not find the answer to my question, so I thought I might ask. How can I prevent long hair curves to intersect themselve? Are there any settings inside the Fur-System for this.

And where can I find the Flowfield Sop?

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks!

the flow field was a proto install last time I looked.

the idea is okay, but not fool proof. If you have any shape (noise,kinks curves) to your hair the flow field will smooth all that out. you will have to find a way to maintain your groom and still use the flow field to stop the inter-penetrations.

easier said than done but still it is possible.

-k

How can I prevent long hair curves to intersect themselve?

i really have no idea about hair and fur but a while back i had to build a tool that did something quite similar. the sop basically generated non-interpenetrating curves on abitrary meshes. i used this for a whole different purpose but i remember that it seemed pretty obvious to me using it also for something like a hair-system. anyway, as i said before i´ve never done hair- or fur- stuff so i might be completely wrong.

if someone is interested i have attached a shortened version of the file. its written using the new inlinecpp module so you need a working compiler. if that´s not the case - compiled dll is included for today´s daily build 10.0.491 - win64.

also the proto flowfield-sop needs to be installed!!!

petz

post-2942-128346055781_thumb.jpg

hair.rar

• 1 month later...

i think the below tech is a good fit for houdini. i've done the 'combing' in a couple different packages. it can be fun, but somewhat unpredictable once motion and dynamics are applied. the idea of modeling the hair with a poly mesh, that outputs guides seems much more predictable to me. it seems more natural to envision a

hairdo as a complete surface, rather than imagining it one strand guide at a time.

the polygons in houdini would be procedurally created of course, and the wires or guides already exist in houdini... so all that is missing is the process of outputting

guides from polygons.

we would have a 'hairSOP'. it would 'polyextrude' a polygon selection (a scalp) out a bit to give a starting point for the hair.

this would allow the 'hairSOP' to integrate with all the modeling tools nicely.

see below.

rendered stills

http://www.cyberradiance.com/hairfarm/opening/

Hair Meshes - SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 Paper Video

timelapse hairfarm polymodeled example

timelapse modeling bun-hairdo

Edited by smaugthewyrm