My tools reel

whalerider

Hey whalerider,

really nice set of tools u've got there!!!

Of course the pressure of keeping a reel as short as possible is always there, but I think you should leave the written descriptions up for a bit longer. Maybe leave the speed of the clip as it is and slowmo it slightly on those parts where there is writing? Could look cool I think.

In general I would always try to read out loud what's written on screen while the clip is playing and add a tiny bit extra time (since you already know what will be poping up u're gonna be able to read it slightly quicker then a first time watcher) to see if it is up there long enough.

Maybe I'm just a slow-arse reader but some of the notes I couldn't complete reading.

hope this helps

R

Thanks. I agree, and already got a similar feedback elsewhere, so you are not alone when it comes to reading the text.

I will edit the reel to increase the screen time of the titles and will post an updated version this weekend.

Hey whalerider,

really nice set of tools u've got there!!!

Of course the pressure of keeping a reel as short as possible is always there, but I think you should leave the written descriptions up for a bit longer. Maybe leave the speed of the clip as it is and slowmo it slightly on those parts where there is writing? Could look cool I think.

In general I would always try to read out loud what's written on screen while the clip is playing and add a tiny bit extra time (since you already know what will be poping up u're gonna be able to read it slightly quicker then a first time watcher) to see if it is up there long enough.

Maybe I'm just a slow-arse reader but some of the notes I couldn't complete reading.

hope this helps

R

Edited by whalerider

Nice tools. I´m particularly interested in the Curve Flow tool, as it´s something that I always thought it was weird not to have as a native tool in Houdini.

I´ve done this in the past using the force attributes from a Point SOP and then POPs, of course...would you mind explaining your approach here? it looks quite controllable from what I can see on the video.

That's exactly the approach I use - Point SOP forces fed to an Attractor POP, with a Speed Limit POP added to make sure the particle traverse the curve within a specified amount of time (but they need to be close to the curve for that to work reliably). With some added bells and whistles like expressions, caching, collision detection to keep the particles close (since there are no particle goals in Houdini, afaik) and ability to change all creation parameters (in Maya you can't change the origin and the number of controls and sub-controls once you create the curve flow). And of course all that done at the click of a button ;-)

ps: you can download them at http://www.orcavfx.com/downloads/mt_tools/

Nice tools. I´m particularly interested in the Curve Flow tool, as it´s something that I always thought it was weird not to have as a native tool in Houdini.

I´ve done this in the past using the force attributes from a Point SOP and then POPs, of course...would you mind explaining your approach here? it looks quite controllable from what I can see on the video.

Edited by whalerider