hotbin_win64_H10.0.401_1.0rc8 install not fully working

maddabbo

Hi all,

Hello Drew and thank you for a very cool set of tools.

I'm having problems getting anything other than the ocean sop working.

I've installed both Houdini 10.0.401 and previously tried 10.0.374 win64

I've downloaded both HOTBIN_win64 10.0.401 and 10.0.374 zip files.

I've got the correct path variable for the hotbin under system variables.

I've added the HOUDINI_PATH variable for the hotbin under user variables and also tried it under system variables? Which should it go in?

Niether works.

With the HOUDINI_PATH variable for 10.0.401 set and 10.0.401 houidni in the path , houdini won't even load load.

With the HOUDINI_PATH variable for 10.0.374 set and 10.0.374 houidni in the path , houdini loads and the ocean sop works fine.

I install the otl into the current hip file to play with it. and then the ocean_displace material becomes available. I make a new material from a surface material and add the ocean_displace into that so it has surface and ocean_displace. It renders flat and says it can't find the opdef: ocean_displace.

Any ideas?

Should I try the 10.0.374 win32 hotbin compile to see if it works?

Sounded from some posts that win64 was brave?

Thanks,

-michael

OKAY!!!!

I finally got this working and it ROCKS!

I had to simplify my paths. We have a pretty complex houdini setup with many machines and a larger HOUDINI_PATH.

I had to simplify to the basic system variables and nothing else.

I should be able to find where our environment is breaking and add HOT back into that and get them to work together.

Thanks all!

so HOTBIN_win64_10.0.401 works fine for me.

OCEAN_SOP

OCEAN_DISPLACE

and

OCEAN_VOP

all tested and working

I'll skip 10.0.374 because I read something about the dlls being the wrong version.

Thanks again!

Whooo HOOO!

-michael

Glad you got things going. Win64 is now a first class citizen, you can ignore those old posts from now on :-) If you have Visual Studio 2005 you can also compile your own versions from source. Sorry I managed to hose my win32 installation at the moment, hence no win32 binary for 401. The 374 build had problems due to a dumb bug in my build scripts, now fixed (ie the "hython setup.py bdist" command mentioned in the docs).

Main thing with HOUDINI_PATH is to remember the ";&" bit at the end to make sure that you're adding to the path instead of overriding it.

-Drew

OKAY!!!!

I finally got this working and it ROCKS!

I had to simplify my paths. We have a pretty complex houdini setup with many machines and a larger HOUDINI_PATH.

I had to simplify to the basic system variables and nothing else.

I should be able to find where our environment is breaking and add HOT back into that and get them to work together.

Thanks all!

so HOTBIN_win64_10.0.401 works fine for me.

OCEAN_SOP

OCEAN_DISPLACE

and

OCEAN_VOP

all tested and working

I'll skip 10.0.374 because I read something about the dlls being the wrong version.

Thanks again!

Whooo HOOO!

-michael

Edited by eloop

Thanks much!

It's working great!

I've got reasonable night water from 25K feet in the air with nice lighting glinting and manking nice specular and reflections.

Very fast too.

-mikey

Glad you got things going. Win64 is now a first class citizen, you can ignore those old posts from now on :-) If you have Visual Studio 2005 you can also compile your own versions from source. Sorry I managed to hose my win32 installation at the moment, hence no win32 binary for 401. The 374 build had problems due to a dumb bug in my build scripts, now fixed (ie the "hython setup.py bdist" command mentioned in the docs).

Main thing with HOUDINI_PATH is to remember the ";&" bit at the end to make sure that you adding to the path instead of overriding it.

-Drew