Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

A very simple but usefull one would be to add a time input to the import attribute vop "sort of like the chf() but per point" so we could get the value of an attribute in another frame. And or adding the $PT variable to the timeshift.

I would use the Time Shift SOP. But I guess that's super slow and not multi-threaded?

A very simple but usefull one would be to add a time input to the import attribute vop "sort of like the chf() but per point" so we could get the value of an attribute in another frame. And or adding the $PT variable to the timeshift.

you can use CHOPs for that, I think it makes more sense since you can have some time segment of deforming geometry fully read in memory and then sampling at different times per point is very fast as compared to constantly cooking geometry in different times per point (which can literally be unique time per point)

I've used CHOPs for this successfully in past, the only limit is memory

but if that feature is part of import attrib VOP and somehow works fast and efficient then +1

I find Cinema 4D's dynamic Ik very handy for some effects. Maybe similar setups are possible with curve IK in H but i found no way to combine any kind of standard IK setup with dynamics controllable for each bone/joint.

Lucas

you can use CHOPs for that, I think it makes more sense since you can have some time segment of deforming geometry fully read in memory and then sampling at different times per point is very fast as compared to constantly cooking geometry in different times per point (which can literally be unique time per point)

I've used CHOPs for this successfully in past, the only limit is memory

but if that feature is part of import attrib VOP and somehow works fast and efficient then +1

Yes, I know, I use chops too, and not sure if its posibble to do it efficiently but if it's possible I would use it all the time :).

I general I feel houdini it's already capable of doing "anything", so make things simpler to setup and faster to cook are best improvements can be made to houdini IMO.

Edited by andreu.lucio

With the same idea of being able to play a bit more with the time in vops, it would be really cool to have an import animation channel with a time input in vops.

Again you can do this in chops and or with expressions but it would add another way to control animation in vops. It's similar to using a ramp but with animation channels.

• Like 1

With the same idea of being able to play a bit more with the time in vops, it would be really cool to have an import animation channel with a time input in vops.

Again you can do this in chops and or with expressions but it would add another way to control animation in vops. It's similar to using a ramp but with animation channels.

100% behind this one (the only problem I saw with accessing attribute over time per point was unefficiency unless the geometry was cached over time as in CHOPs, but for parms it makes sense )

and this should be an easy one to port to VOPs as there is already ch(string channel, float time) VEX function

one thing to keep it mind while using ch() with time is that there is/was some limit of using it for string parameters as it was documented until H12.0

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/vex/functions/ch

and I can see it in 12.5 offline help as well

but in newest 12.5 online docs that part of help is missing so either it doesn't have that limitation anymore or simply the documentation is missing that part, either way you'll better keep that in mind

one thing to keep it mind while using ch() with time is that there is/was some limit of using it for string parameters as it was documented until H12.0

but in newest 12.5 online docs that part of help is missing so either it doesn't have that limitation anymore or simply the documentation is missing that part, either way you'll better

The limitation has since been fixed and the documentation was intentionally removed.

• Like 1

When an attribute sop errors due to an invalid deleted attribute the warning is: Invalid attribute specification: "no match for ..." for Point, Vertex, Primitive, and Detail... it would be nice if for each type it could list it in the connected warning line such as, Invalid point attribute specification: "..", Invalid vertex attribute specification: "..", etc. It would make the look up simpler.

If there are small suggestions that you think SESI should integrate into Houdini, I would suggest also logging an RFE (request for enhancement) here: http://www.sidefx.co...=768&Itemid=239. It's more likely to be seen by a SideFX developer than a post on the 20th page of a forum topic.

I think page 20 is a good place as any...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the Dops, Viewport Pane Dynamics Select Mode, the Hide Other Object (Y) Control visibility of external objects, it would be cool if I could see the world outside of Dops. When doing sims, it nice to work within the sim context and be able to see your environment. I can go outside the context to sop level or object level and see the output, but then I need to dive back in and adjust the settings and loose my environment. Kind of a pain in the but, when you are rapidly prototyping sims.

Some mplay and renderview enhancements:

Mplay/Renderview:

- option to export with the background image, right now the export just the render

- option to export quicktime

- looking on matte channels like alpha should default to gamma 1

Some mplay and renderview enhancements:

- option to export quicktime

If you have quicktime installed on your system and write access you can use the mplay; File > Export > Quicktime Movie...

- looking on matte channels like alpha should default to gamma 1

Don't have this issue, possibly you may be switchign from one image plane to another and the adjustment does not change. Usually it does otherwise it would be a bug.

- option to export with the background image, right now the export just the render

Def in the non-flipbook context.