All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The way dop was designed, you need an object of simulation type (pop, flip, smoke, vellum). Each have an initial state you can decide how the object state is when the simulation started. For most simple simulation that doesnt require additional sourcing whilst the sim running, its fine. most of the examples have a source node that set the object state only at the beginning of the sim ($ST==1). I believe it is nice for someone new to understand the logic. Source node also have a complete(ish) settings to help determine how a new items sourced should behave (life, vel, timing intervals, etc)
  3. Today
  4. Coloring Node based on its state

Goto Edit Parameter Interface of the switch node and : Create an Int spare parm on the switch node (call it trigger, for example) and connect it's value to the switch input parm (ch("input") expression) Fill the callback script (python) on this new parameter with: colorList = [[1,0,0],[0,1,0],[0,0,1]]; kwargs["node"].setColor(hou.Color(colorList[min(len(colorList)-1,int(kwargs['script_value']))])) Bam!
  5. I want to print all the bgeo.sc used in the scene.Using Python. hou.fileReferences() doesn`t give me any bgeo.sc used in the scene. I am looking for a way. Can someone guide me?? Thanks Hiro
  6. new pyro solver

hello, Has anyone here had a chance to use the new pyro solver/the new combustion model with flame/burn? seems really difficult to actually get microsolvers (turbulence, disturb, shred) to actually affect the flame field in a way that looks decent. I noticed that I was cranking values really high just do anything at all to the flame field. It almost seems like its not working properly. As soon as I try same micro solvers on just density (smoke sim), it works fine. It just seems like the flame field doesn't work properly. Thanks
  7. you can use PolySplit SOP which can even take a curve as a second input if you want you can output the split edges as an edge group and then remesh afterwards using that group as hard edgegroup
  8. I am not a king in scripting but this is would be an excellent addition to a switch node. All I'd like to do is to color the switch node based on it's state (0=red,1=blue,2=green....etc) I have no idea how to go about this. any ideas? Thank you
  9. opacity map in Principled shader

The Transparency texture isn't working for you?
  10. Yesterday
  11. Thanks a lot Mark, I will look into this right now It would make my desktop much easier to setup.
  12. Supercharged H18 GUI (TouchDesigner Style)

A blank Python Panel's pane content can be shrunk almost completely, and if you hide the pane tabs they can get pretty small (but for the stowbars). But I don't think there's a way to get rid of the stowbars.
  13. In Houdini this is one primitive (the red line is just a drawing). I can remesh, but what's very important is to create an edge/line/split in the middle same way as in SpeedTree. I want to use it to fold the leaf. Any idea what sop would do it? is there a way to draw a line and magically an edge would be created? Or any other way.
  14. Thanks Mark. I also do this but there seems to be an artificial limitation in that feature. There doesn't seem to be a way to make a pane as small as the status bar or the main menu bar itself. So you have to use qt masks to mask out the unwanted parts. But of course doing so has some draw backs in organization. Unless there is a way to create a special pane that can be as big as the item it's hosting? Otherwise it feels like the item is secondary to the pane. It would be useful to be able to wrap these items (main menu bar, playbar, etc) in a pane for the purpose of UI organization. If this is possible, then one can for example create a split pane (left, right) at the top of the app where the main menu bar is, store the main menu bar on the left pane and the status bar on the right pane. That would make things so much easier. Please let me know if there is some way to achieve this Can python panel possibly be used to achieve this?
  15. The color texture doesn't have alpha, there is a separate opacity map (black and white). In the principled shader I can see the "use texture alpha", but that assumes that my texture has an alpha which is not the case. While waiting for Side FX to add a convenient "use opacity texture", how would you plug this texture in the complicated network of things in the kitchen of the principled shader. There is a video showing something like that, but it dates back to the shops days, I couldn't follow, the network has changed.
  16. for Attrib Promote you don't need for each loop, it can directly work per piece - set both classes to Primitive - check Piece Attribute: class - set method to Maximum and as for the @cloud68 method, you just need to alter it to work on prim groups instead and on partial group instead of part in your case for (int prim_num : findattribval(0, "prim", "class", i@class)) { if (inprimgroup(0, "partial",prim_num)) { @group_partial = 1; break; } }
  17. Supercharged H18 GUI (TouchDesigner Style)

For those that don't want to completely customize their UI, you can use the Pane menu to move the file, shelf, status, and playbar to any pane (little v button to the right of the pane tabs, "Pane Interface > Move XXX here".
  18. Thanks. I am using the proxy volume so I guess I am ok.
  19. hmm i tried your code in a wrangle running thru both prim and points, couldnt get it working. I use a group node before the wrangle to use its bounding function like i first specified or just select some points? those two functions seem quite useful though, i did not know of them till now. I dug thru my instructors old files and found a little trick he did by running a Cd attrib through PRIM to DETAIL attribpromote with a MAXIMUM method then reverse it again DETAIL to PRIM in a for each loop, and it somehow it tells the Cd value to envelope the whole connected piece. super fascinating, hip file attached. grpbound_partial_fullconnectivity.hipnc
  20. FLIP substeps for fast moving boat

I would trail the collision geo and convert into sdf in the sop, cache out and you can either use it as a proxy volume in the static object or, you can create colliison and collisionvel and use in the dop as collision fields. If you are going to try the collision/collisionvel, make sure you wire the volume source to your THIRD INPUT of the flipsolver instead of the forth. Basically, only rely on the substep in the solver is very expensive, the dop is trying to figuring out the sub-frame information during the sim, and apparently, you can prepare the sub-frame info in the sop, cache out, and dop just need to read it in. It will be much faster if you have trailed your collision animation 1/5 increment and put substep 2 in solver than try to calculate sub-frame while siming with 10 substeps. Hope this would help.
  21. FLIP substeps for fast moving boat

What I mean by that is if I go through the timeline in 1/x increments, my collision SDF is moving accordingly inside the DOPnet. I set up my collision object similarly to this quicktip: But I will still try out your suggestion with the timeblend. Thank you.
  22. FLIP substeps for fast moving boat

Hi there, Just curious what do you mean the Solver has access to the sub-frame collision geometry? Have you tried to use a trail sop to trail your animation yet? If not, I would try to create all the sub-frame animation as much as possible before completely relying on solver's substep. Based on the speed, put down a timeblend and then set something like Trail Length 10, Trail Increment 0.1, then convert it to sdf. Hope this would help.
  23. FLIP substeps for fast moving boat

Hello dear odforce users. I have a question regarding substepping with fast moving colliders. I have a catamaran speed boat which is driving in a straight line at roughly 60km/h. I added some procedural animation to the boat with the help of the ocean spectrum, that drives the wavetank, and CHOPs. Currently the simulation uses 6/8 Substeps on the FLIP Solver and the Solver has access to the sub-frame collision geometry. The problem I'm running into is that the trail left by the boats keels has visible stepping in position and velocity, which causes tendrils to shoot up in the boats wake. This doesn't look good together with motion blur. Should I increase substeps further to get rid of the stepping by brute force? Work out a whitewater setup to mask this behavior? Or is there anything else you can recommend in this case? I'm thankful for any suggestions. P.S. Unfortunatly I can't provide any scene files
  24. camera track to object track

Hey, I don't know if it is possible to do that 100% perfect. Here is a scene that works pretty well. The first and last frame are exactly the same, but its a bit off in the middle. This is the closest I could find. extract.hip
  25. I have noticed that Most AdobeCC documents I receive are in the Adobe 1998 color space, for some reason. I think it is the default color space, unless you alter your account. Color Space mismatch can cause color shifts like that.
  26. http://patreon.com/posts/32321342 I made a number of modifications to the standard Houdini GUI that focuses on increasing the productivity by maximizing the screen estate to its limits. Here are some of the changes: 1. Network editor is an overlay over the viewport or the render view, depending on what's visible. It allows working with the network editor while simultaneously seeing the result of the node network, with configurable opacity settings (0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1). The network editor can be toggled away from and into the viewport using a single key. 2. The whole application is in full screen mode, that eliminates the taskbar and the titlebar of the application. 3. The status bar is at the top inline with the main menu bar. 4. The shelf is completely outside the visible screen space. It can be accessed using the viewport TAB menu instead. Special thanks to Jason Iversen for his overlay network editor sketch.
  27. here is an example of Attrib Transfer mentioned earlier Sample_point_cloud_color.hipnc
  1. Load more activity