All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Probably an odd question but due to how my works pipeline is a lot of assets tend to be broken with the default conversion done for Houdini(usually the camera) and requires a manual export of certain assets from Maya. I'd like to be able to press a button on my shelf in Houdini that will run Maya standalone and run a python script in said Maya.
  3. Efficient point rendering

I'm rendering a big point cloud from a BGEO file. The only thing that changes is the camera animation. If I use the interactive renderer then the scene updates super quick and renders at about 10-20 secs a frame. If I render using a mantra ROP it takes about a 60-70 seconds. I'm assuming it reloads the geometry every frame (or something!?). Is there a way to get something like the interactive render speeds in Mantra? I've tried using delayed load and disk primitives and also various renderers in Mantra (e.g. micropoly, physical) without much success. There is no lighting or any other vex or vops or anything going on. Simple constant shader. Thanks Simon
  4. Today
  5. air stream?

How do I make 16 seconds? air stream?
  6. Hi, I would simply ceate a script which creates lock file when a hip is opened for the reason more users should not overwrite their scenes. The lock file should be deleted when a new hip is about to open. So i created a hip event in my scene and check which event is fired (i check the opening hip name). My problem is that I can not fire an event before the new hip is opened ( to clear the lock file ) the event always shows the opened hip not the hip which is being closed. Any idea ? thx!!! G My scripts: ---Registering the event----- hipFileEvent_script = """ def hipFileEventsFired( event_type): import houdini.illessz.events as ev reload( ev) ev.hipFileEvents( event_type) """ hou.setSessionModuleSource( hipFileEvent_script ) hou.hipFile.addEventCallback( hou.session.hipFileEventsFired) ---- The event ---- def hipFileEvents( event_type): # print kwargs if event_type == hou.hipFileEventType.BeforeClear: if not hou.hipFile.isLoadingHipFile() and not hou.hipFile.name()=='untitled.hip': print 'clear event %s' % hou.hipFile.name() else: # print 'clear ?' pass print event_type, hou.hipFile.name() if event_type == hou.hipFileEventType.BeforeLoad: print 'before load event %s' % hou.hipFile.name() # hou.hipFile.removeEventCallback( hou.session.hipFileEventsFired) OUTPUTS: hipFileEventType.BeforeLoad X:/temp/saveTest.hip before load event X:/temp/saveTest.hip hipFileEventType.BeforeClear X:/temp/saveTest.hip hipFileEventType.AfterClear X:/temp/saveTest.hip hipFileEventType.AfterLoad X:/temp/saveTest.hip hipFileEventType.BeforeLoad X:/temp/saveTestB.hip before load event X:/temp/saveTestB.hip hipFileEventType.BeforeClear X:/temp/saveTestB.hip hipData deleted X:/temp/saveTestB.hip hipFileEventType.AfterClear X:/temp/saveTestB.hip hipFileEventType.AfterLoad X:/temp/saveTestB.hip
  7. Hi, I would simply ceate a script which creates lock file when a hip is opened for the reason more users should not overwrite their scenes. The lock file should be deleted when a new hip is about to open. So i created a hip event in my scene and check which event is fired (i check the opening hip name). My problem is that I can not fire an event before the new hip is opened ( to clear the lock file ) the event always shows the opened hip not the hip which is being closed. Any idea ? thx!!! G My scripts: ---Registering the event----- hipFileEvent_script = """ def hipFileEventsFired( event_type): import houdini.illessz.events as ev reload( ev) ev.hipFileEvents( event_type) """ hou.setSessionModuleSource( hipFileEvent_script ) hou.hipFile.addEventCallback( hou.session.hipFileEventsFired) ---- The event ---- def hipFileEvents( event_type): # print kwargs if event_type == hou.hipFileEventType.BeforeClear: if not hou.hipFile.isLoadingHipFile() and not hou.hipFile.name()=='untitled.hip': print 'clear event %s' % hou.hipFile.name() else: # print 'clear ?' pass print event_type, hou.hipFile.name() if event_type == hou.hipFileEventType.BeforeLoad: print 'before load event %s' % hou.hipFile.name() # hou.hipFile.removeEventCallback( hou.session.hipFileEventsFired)
  8. Looking for some production tips for simulating hair on a character with accessories such as glasses. I want to get some nice, accurate collisions with the glasses but first issue I am having is that the animators have keyframed the glasses, so despite initially grooming around the glasses the guides intersect first frame of animated geo. Second problem to solve is that the hair generation interpolates through the glasses and not ‘around’ the glasses (guide collide with vdb doesn’t work too well, especially when trying to avoid collisions with the skin as well) Final thing is not accessory related, but when simming I get this underwater/floaty effect as the constraints try to return to position (all vellum btw). Any tricks to avoid this? Thinking about using plasticity for something more natural but not sure how to manage continuity between shots. Any pro tips would be appreciated!
  9. Hi, if you made a curve and that your normal is a « natural » normal (not tweaked manually in another wrangle), then when making your curve, output the tangentu attribute. It should be naturally perpendicular to N. Otherwise, create your own perpendicular vector in a Wrangle using a cross product between your N and an up vector defined arbitrarily (in VEX should be something like v@perpN = cross(@N, up); and define up before like vector up = {0,1,0};) Then same code as you have with N: @P += ch(« offsetperp ») * v@perpN;
  10. Hello; Please help : I need to move my geometry perpendicular to existing Normals. Thanks. CrossNormal_01.hip
  11. Packed Primitive transformation equation

I think you’ll find better info her : http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniDops#Rigid_Body_Dynamics
  12. Packed Primitive transformation equation

If I remember correctly, if you want to use the intrinsics of your prims coming out of sim, to instance higher rez objects on the points, or maybe use CHOPS to smooth / reverse / tweak the sim, the equation should be like : Ppoint = Pprim + (Ppoint - PIVOTprim) * TRASNFORMprim where PIVOT and TRANSFORM are respectectively a vector and matrix3. Ppoint should be static (position of the points at start of the sim). Hope this helps
  13. House fire sourcing Pyro

I appreciate the replies! Im not sure i understand whats going on in that file. Why do the particles point away from the windows, but the fire goes towards the windows? The particle sim, is very small compared to the pyro sim. Why does it still work? And what is controlling the direction of the fire? Im pretty much starting with 17.5, so could that be the issue? Things look alot different. When it comes to smoke, should i emit from the fire, or just create another sim that just emits smoke? And if i want to control the smoke, from the fire, is there a way i could do that without changing the fire sim? Maybe im wrong, but it looks like when smoke is being created from the fire, that the settings control everything. There is no separate set of parameters that only control the motion/shape of the smoke, and leave the fire alone. Also im more looking for how to start the fire. Id like to know how this would be done "professionally". Like would the source come from the geometry of the building? Source from the window glass? Put geo on the floor, like a campfire, and go from there? Is that the correct way to start this, or if a deformed sphere like i already have work for my needs?
  14. Vellum leather belt

simulating grid and then pointdeforming hires belt is the way to go, vellum uses pscale for thickness so you can still define how thick your belt is even if it's just a grid here is an example showing such workflow, I kept your scene scale, just be aware that your scene seems to be in decimeters so I also increased gravity to account for that belt_ts.hip
  15. VOP Keyword Reserved

I found a link which could help, in case that people are looking for it . Thanks John Kunz: http://mrkunz.com/blog/08_22_2018_VEX_Wrangle_Cheat_Sheet.html
  16. Vellum leather belt

Hey clear, I've uploaded the .HIP file below, so far I've used Vellum Tetrahedral Softbody and standard Houdini cloth to simulate the strap but because the model has height on it and isn't a flat grid the walls are pretty much collapsing on eachother and I can't find the correct strut settings. Because this didn't work I have also tried to simulate a grid and then later extrude it then point deform my actual belt strap but I haven't had any luck with this either. I feel like I'm approaching the idea completely wrong. Btw if you're wandering what you're looking at when you open the .HIP file I didn't want to get too into modeling etc before knowing I could pull it off with a proxy belt model first, so the little rectangle that animates is supposed to be the belt buckle. I'm not really upset with this result as I find houdini very hard but it's still no where near what I need. Essentially I would like multiple belts to be animated by dragging the buckle around and the strap will naturally follow sort of like a tail of a animal etc. I don't have knowledge outside of vellum but thought Vellum would be the way to go if I later decide I want to really push/manipulate the shape of the belt by twisting and all that. Thanks for your interest! belt.hip
  17. Hi, In Bullet simulation, pieces are packed and have attributes : (1) P , (2) orient quaternion, (3) pivot. Somehow, these three attributes compute the final transformation matrix for each piece. My goal is to animate these simulated pieces in reverse (not just playback in reverse, but instead create more "interesting" animation). My question is how are Pivot and P related? Initially, P equals Pivot, then as the simulation goes: Orientation changes (which is logical), and Pivot drifts away from P (i.e. not equal anymore). I checked bullet[T|R|S] are they are all zero or identity. Thanks,
  18. Yesterday
  19. Vellum leather belt

What do you have so far and how is it not working for you?
  20. Hi, I am following this tutorial, but I don't get a shadow matte with my toon shader. I am wondering why this is. If you want to take a look: shadowmattehip.hipnc (with the Links_Schaduw mantra node) I would also like to know how I could get an equivalent of the diffuse color image plane while Toon Shading. Is Toon Shading more limited in this regard or is it possible? (to have highly customisable composites) Thanks.
  21. Initial State with Vellum Grains

In the dopnet there is a output node. You can save to disk the frame you want to be the initial state. On the dopnet node, under simulation use that frame for initial state. Hope this helps.
  22. Using the rayed and then volume-extruded grid in addition to bumping the substeps way up (5 min/10 max), using volume collisions and the RBD solver are doing the trick on my quick test mesh. Haven't tried it on the final big guy yet--I'm guessing more substeps will be in order.
  23. Mmmh. Just for clarification. While this isn't finished, it's close to the current needs. I create a "shadow" rig which resembles the final bone structure. I'm going to create this rig one by one afterwards, but if I need to change it's proportions, I want to alter the shadow rig and have some clever mumbo-jumbo apply this to the existing bone rig. Each "bone" does calculate it's restlength, position and orientation. it also carries it's name which is identical to the real bones name. This applies for the nulls, too. Does some script already exists which could be altered or is this new territory? Cheers!
  24. Hi there I made some snow with very small vellum grains What Im trying to achieve is to set an initial state when my snow is already relaxed (I am throwing a box made of grains in top of a mountain), and then to continue colliding with some objects. How can i make the simulation read the first frame and then start writing the next
  25. Vellum leather belt

I'm trying to find a way to animate a metal belt buckle and have the leather strap follow the position whilst being effected by gravity/environment and still not intersect with the buckle itself. Essentially I'm looking to recreate the "rope knot" effect that everyone has seen recently but with a more irregular shape such as a belt (rectangular instead of round ) Is Vellum the best system to create something like this? any help would really be appreciated thanks everyone
  1. Load more activity