All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Appreciate your time! I have assigned materials either using the material node or packed edit node. Let me see if I can get a few pictures up. Thank you!!
  3. you're welcome. it is as simple as it gets. either you go back to the original asset, do the adjustments there and export a new version or you have to unpack the geo in houdini and do the changes there. there is no alternative to this i'm afraid. anyways, i'm not sure what you mean exactly by textures not lining up with UDIMS unless unpacked. packing does not have any effect on how uv coordinates are deployed. if the render looks differently when unpacked my guess is there must be something wrong with how you apply materials/textures in houdini.
  4. Vellum POP Color

Just use instance on points sourcing method, and set up a random attribute on each frame that you get back in dopland for the simulation vellum_rand_color.hipnc
  5. Vellum POP Color

Hello, I'm trying to assign a different color to each object emitted from the vellum source, I tried to use random by ID in the pop color node, but it doesn't seem to work, anyone could point me in the right direction? Thanks!!
  6. You can call the attribute using @someattribute in the radius parameter of the polywire node, or you can copy/paste the radius parameter of the curve to the polywire one.
  7. feather tools

8. Hi Davpe! Thanks for getting back to me! You're right on this absolutely . So currently, I'm facing an issue with the textures not lining up with the UDIMs unless we unpack while rendering within renderman 21. Would you be able to help me with an alternative? So I was actually thinking out loud when I mentioned, if it's possible to unpack the UV attribute for the delayer primitive.
  9. Simple Tree Tools

Ok so I've updated these tools to v1.5.4! Realtime wind simulation!!! If you havent grabbed them yet, heres a link: https://gum.co/nEGYe
  10. how can I disable the presentation of every edge in my rbdmaterialfractured object in the viewport? its just a box and a RBDmaterialfracturenode. SOLVED: just put a new node in it and voila.... dono
  11. On Growth and Form

A new beginning of fun yupppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii INDIANAC.hiplc
  12. the reason why packed geometry is so fast is that you don't have access to all the data (unless you unpack it). that is the idea of it - you exchange some flexibility for speed. so what you should do you should do is to prep your assets first as normal geometry, and then use packed data for rendering (so it's fast even with very heavy scenes). at rendering phase it's assumed you don't need to see textures or anything like that in viewport, and the priority is to make things as lightweight as possible. so even very heavy scenes can be manipulated comfortably. if packed prims allowed what you asking, it would, from nature of things, make things slow again (as you already found out), and therefore there would be no benefit from packing them. if the geo is too heavy to work with, you have three options - 1) split it first and unpack only the parts you need, 2) get faster workstation or 3) optimize where possible so you have less data to process
  13. Hi, I'm trying to transfer the stroke's width attribute to the radius parameter of the polywire
  14. Can I use the CHOP nodes to deform a line?

Please don't take my advice as an offence The first 2 things you should do when leaning Houdini or any other software, is first learning the fundamentals by looking carefully the documentation and second practice by yourself. And not to bug this channel every second you get stopped.I also get stop 10 times a day, everyday since i start working a long time ago, and hopefull for everyone i don t post here Regards
  15. vector pos = point(1, "P", @ptnum); float mix = ch("mix"); @P = lerp(@P, pos, mix);
  16. Offset time on Copy to Points

toadstorm, Thank you so much for the quick and in-depth reply ! I'm only a few months into this amazing Houdini/Vex thing, and I am still a beginner, but I have so much more understanding of these things than I did, thanks in part to the great information you put online. I have made an attribute based on the frameBorn att in my pops network that records the birth frame of each particle and then freezes on that number. I've never messed with stylesheets before, but I am going go through what you said step by step this evening to try it out. Thanks again ! I really appreciate the help. Not knowing this was giving me weird dreams. haha.
  17. In my Network view is a - hm, never recognized - background hint: "Profile 0: Time". What is it and how to dis/enable it?
  18. uvtexture camera preojection

Seems like your geometry just needs more divisions. Here's the UVs from your original scene file: They look really distorted here. If the divisions on the larger box and the tube are increased, that distortion goes away:
  19. Uv textuer's camera projection donot work well. Dose anyone know way to fix?? Q.hiplc
  20. Yesterday
  21. Hello guys. I was wondering how to get the uv's from a rest position (time shift to frame 1) to a deofrming mesh. Otherwise my uvunwrap flicckers and calculates each frame which is not okay. Thanks a lot. P.D: Point number doesnt change.
  22. Offset time on Copy to Points

Hmm... what you'd probably want to do here is start by creating an incrementing point attribute on your template points that represents what frame in the sequence you want each copy to load from. For this example, let's call it i@frame. Once you have that, you could create a string primitive attribute on your packed primitives (after the copy operation) that would point to the full path of the texture on disk: s@texture_path = sprintf("/path/to/textures/root/texture_%g.png", i@frame); Now that you have this as a primitive attribute, you could leverage material stylesheets to override the emissive texture (or whatever texture) on the material applied to your sparks. Stylesheets are a bit cumbersome to use in Houdini, but they're very powerful and they'll work with any render engine. Once you have a material assigned to your object, go to Inspectors > Data Tree > Material Style Sheets, then create a new stylesheet on the geometry container that your sparks live in. Then right-click the stylesheet in the Data Tree and "Add Style". You can then add a Target of type "Primitive", and then an "Override Script" of type "Material Parameter". Then change the "Override Name" column to the name of the parameter you want to override in your material... if you hover over the name of the material parameter in your shader network, you should see the parameter name. In your case it's probably going to be the emission color texture, which is "emitcolor_texture" in a Principled Shader. The "Override Type" should be "Attribute Binding", because you're using the attribute you created earlier to override the material value. Then set the Override Value to the name of the attribute you created: "texture_path". Your stylesheet should look something like the attached screenshot. Once that's done, if you render (and your material is set to be emissive, emissive textures are enabled, and your emission color is 1.0), you should see a unique texture applied to each spark.
  23. So I've investigated more tonight and finally I just don't have enough ram to fit the displacement calculation, even with 64 gigs i run short. I'll render the displaced ocean on a grid and the fluid itself on different passes and i'll make a bit of comp magic ! Cheers,
  24. [SOLVED] Displacement mask in shader

Thanks a lot, it works ! Couldn't have figured it out without your help !
  25. setting attributes that stick

Thanks guys, I looked at those links, very helpful. Thank you.
  1. Load more activity