All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Hello; When I export a flipbook as a Quicktime file (MPEG4 codec), After Effects can't read it and makes error displayed in image bellow. (VLC player, plays my file without any problem). Any idea? Thanks.
  3. Advise Please- Buying new desktop optimised for houdini

Two months ago I buyed a pc for Houdini, and I'm pretty happy with it, I have : - Ryzen 7 2700X - Corsair H150i - MSI X470 Pro Carbon - RTX 2080 MSI Aero - 4 * 16 Go DDR4 Corsair Ram - 970 Evo 250 Go for Windows and Softs - 6 To Seagate Barracuda for files (I'm thinking about investing some money in a nas for the future, and more SSD's) - Corsair Carbide 270r - Be Quiet! Straight Power Gold 750W It's pretty fast, stay cool when simulating or rendering (cpu doesn't exceed 60 degrees at 100% of use), but it's doing a bit of noise (which doesn't bother me when I'm sleeping), for a total cost of 2600 euros. I know I missed the 3900X and the rtx super series but I'll upgrade later. What I can advice you is to take the max ram you can, and one gpu to begin seems honest. With redshift 2.6, my 2080 does the job nicely and fast. I suggest you to go with the new Ryzen 9 3900X, 128 Go of ram if you can afford, and a 2080 Ti. This would be a nice pc for Houdini
  4. not going to for loop here , thanks and keep it going Jeff
  5. Hi; What is the fastest way to turn off showing all nodes, and show only selected node/nodes, temporarily in viewport? (and vice versa...). Or is there any way to grouping "display" flag (property) of nodes, something like other 3d software? Thanks for helping.
  6. OCIO Darker viewport

Thanks
  7. Hello; To create a global variable like $HIP, I tried to define a network path called "NETDRIVE" in Aliases/Variables window. The problem is Houdini doesn't shows a $NETDRIVE name in the list (I mean under $HIP,$JOB ...) in a "File SOP" path ..! Any idea? Thanks.
  8. Houdini "proxy"

well again you can display your instances as bounding boxes, or point cloud, and all should be fine...
  9. There is no patterns section in Houdini 17.5, but you can add a principled shader and right click: allow editing of contents, and add a pattern within this
  10. Houdini "proxy"

Thank you davpe! I optimized my setup and using Pack Prim again, the response is a lot better, thank you! About using the flag for displaying and rendering, it works but it doesn't when I need to scatter that object around. Would you mind to let me know what other technical ways to do it?
  11. This is what I'm looking for--the actual "Patterns" section on the material palette (mine actually doesn't have a patterns section at all, much less the checkerboard):
  12. Yup--these are just a straight-off-the-shelf grid and sphere with a straight-out-of-the-tab-key uvunrwap on each:
  13. It sounds like you don't have good Uv mapping. Check your uv view to see if you have a shape other than just a line or nothing.
  14. I had found that, but it only gives me grey: (I did throw a quick UVUnwrap on the grid an sphere before applying it.) What am I doing wrong there? I don't remember where it was, but the recent H17 tutorial I found had the person actually grabbing the checkerboard from the palette, so I'm guessing they didn't just get rid of something so common to replace it with something that takes three more steps now, right? presetsAreSometimesPractical.hipnc
  15. So a few older tutorials I have been following have people dragging the Checkerboard from the Material palette onto an object. I thought maybe the checkerboard just was no more since the material system changed, but I recently saw a Houdini 17+ tutorial where someone did the same thing. My material palette has no Checkerboard pattern on it. Where can I find it? Is it something I have to opunhide?
  16. Yesterday
  17. Can't Get Field Force To Work

You have to bind it to your data, to the left, and be sure to set "set always" and not "set initial", Cheers, Field_Force_fixed.hip
  18. I am rendering an image that takes about an hour and a half on a Imac 2017 and it has more grain than I would like (see attachment). How would I improve this without significantly increasing render time? My current Mantra render settings are: Mantra tile size 48 Reflection limit 4 Refraction limit 4 Diffuse limit 0 Color limit 3 Ray tracing Bias 0.001 Sampling pixel sample 5x5 Gamma 2.2 Min ray samples 2 max ray samples 8 noise level 0.001 Global quality 2 Diffuse quality 1 Render 16 bit integer Tiff with gamma 2.2, 2500x2000 px
  19. Hi Barry, I am pretty new myself but hope this helps . From what I have gathered so far better CPU for Sims and Mantra and large RAM for caching it really benefits from it. If you don't use GPU renders like Redshift or Octane than multiple GPU's wont be helpful instead more RAM and CPU threads & clock will benefit mantra and sims.But keep in mind SIMS accelerate considerably so due to OPENCL support so a decent GPU is a must. To put things in perspective.Here is the build I am looking at. 3900x 12core/24 thread around 500$ Board X570 no SLI around 160$ (No SLI means scalabilty for later if want to use GPU renderers) 750 W PSU 60$ 16 Gb DDR 4 Ram 80$ (Recommended around 64GB) 2070 Super 500$ 1300$ £1060Decent Entry Level. You can wait for 3950x that is supposed to be 3rd gen 16core/32 thread. will be around £610 If you are using GPU renderers than Go for a board with SLI support upto 3 GPU's £300 2x 2080 super around £1400-1500 or you can buy 1 and add later 2x £1500 (if you use GPU renderers) Ram at least 3200MHz ddr4 64gb preferably 32gb stick if 4 DIMM board if you want to scale to 128 other wise 4x 16Gb £350 Supply accordingly how much you want to scale 250 wattEach GPU = 500W + 105 W 600W +250W extra GPU scalability = 850W ~ 1000-1200+ watt £160-250 £3010 now add in a water block and decent case with fans. This is not actual build but just to give you some perspective. A rig posted by user caskal Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme £450 Threadripper 2950x £ 754 current(25aug) (price went down to £600 20 july and lowest £360 17 july/15 Aug) G Skill TridentZ 3200mhz CL14 (128 gb) £170x8=£1,360‬ (current price is £230) 4 x EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti £1020x4=4080 £6,640 4GPU 128 GB ram £2904 1 GPU 64GB ram (+ you can save on board if you don't want to scale later.) Hope it helps. Best , PACE.
  20. Can't Get Field Force To Work

Hi everyone, I'm doing some testing for a shot, it's my first time using the Field Force DOP and I can't seem to get it to work. I think I followed the help documentation exactly, but something's going wrong. I have a basic RBD setup in SOPS (see the red area in the attached photo), as well as some geo to act as a field (see the green area). As you can see, this geo has an attribute VOP where the points are assigned velocity values. In the DOP network, I can actually see the force vectors drawn in the viewport, and they match the velocities I applied in SOPS, indicating that the values are indeed being properly read. However, when I kick off the simulation, nothing happens. I tried kicking up the Scale Force attribute way up, but this still didn't help. I've attached the file itself, if anyone feels like giving it a look. I'd appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks Field Force.hip
  21. Hi Noob rigging question. I have a low poly rigged fbx (attached), brought it in to houdini, added a sub div to increase the poly count and re exported with defaults. Problem is when brought into the game engine, the bones aren't connected to the mesh anymore. I'm adding the SubDiv just before the BoneDeform SOP to bring into T-pose. What step(s) am I missing? Neo.fbx
  22. use batch rop before pluging into merge. also you can use switch + null combination to exclude rops from rendering, something like this (z[] - switches, zz[] - batches):
  23. Thank you "dgani", but my question was in general, I mean if you import a 3d model from other software, then you will have no copy point to use "pscale". (As you can see in my uploaded picture, I blured image of copy point nodes...).
  24. Direct Modeling HDA

> thank you Alexey. I was confused at first. Any chance of tutorials on this? I am still somewhat new to Houdini. Anyway it is my fault Currently working on a few new simple features for 2.0. Next step is adding new videos
  1. Load more activity