All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yesterday
  3. You'll want a polyframe SOP then. Fiddle with the settings, it'll do what you want. If that doesn't work you'll probably need to do a double cross product with the normal and the vector towards the "center" of your building.
  4. source flip fluid with velocity

Oh, well as long as it's nice and easy now...
  5. Alembic Path Attribute & Voronoi Fracture

Post a hip and Ill check it out for ya! Make sure to lock the .abc so we can work with the scene. Thx
  6. I want to create a procedural wall asset by copying modelled wall segment along the curve. In the tutorials I could find, people usually just sweep the curve with some profile, and that's less than ideal, because you can't just model any kind of wall segment with complex geometry. My goal is to be able to draw the curve of any shape, and automatically turn it into a wall by copying wall segments onto it's points - at a correct distance, with the correct orientation. Can you guys help me out? I think the biggest challenge is making the wall segments point into the right direction, because I don't really know how to generate normals for points on a cruve in a way that will consistently make them point "outside" the building.
  7. Hi, I try to make a enable/disable switch for displacement, instead of cutting node's connections . So far, I tried to connect 'switch node' between collect node and displaceOutputVariables and Parameters. but it does not work. Next, I tried' Properties > add Disable displace Shader rendering'. However, it still renders displacement. Thus how should I properly create displacement switch? I am using copy instance after material is assigned with a "share displacement with instances" in properties. That's why disable button possibly won't work correctly...
  8. Thoughts on this laptop build?

Just like you said it's not going to do any seriously massive sims. But it's going to be enough to learn techniques. Though you could probably do that too at 1/2 the price. Only 1 SSD, one monitor, and a cheaper GPU. Still, since you're not doing crazy sims can probably get away with a less expensive graphics card. Check out https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/ and look at the "value %". If you're spending 2K you could get a kick ass desktop tank for simming with a 10TB hard drive and 64GB of RAM. Again, take off the extra monitor and go with Linux (maybe Ubuntu) to save money. Do you already have another laptop? That could do double duty as a web-browser & media player.
  9. That pretty much depends on what you're trying to do with HDK, but chapter about operators and geometry are the must. Also note that if I say read documentation I don't only mean reading introduction to HDK, but above all the docstrings of the classes and methods from HDK headers. They are not perfect source of informations, but they carry a lot of crucial details about HDK. I'm far from being an expert, but the way I do it, is by first finding an example which does the most similar thing to what I'm trying to do. Then reading its source couple of time. Then follow doxygen link of methods used by the example. Read its docstrings and those which are linked to them. If you encounger appendPointBlock in the code, read its docstring along with other similar functions (like appendPrimitiveBlock). If case of doubt I first create a simple command line app to test particular lines, and I carry on from that point. Also note, that some of the older docstring are not in doxygen format, and you can't see them in docs' html page. You have to click headers' name at the very top of the page to open code preview, so you can read code along with docstring directly in the sources. Some of the most commonly used headers you should read from top to bottom many times (like GA/GEO/GU_Detail.h - if you deal a lot with geometry). HDK: Table Of Contents Introduction to the HDK Major Changes in the HDK Houdini Operators <--- Houdini Geometry <--- Houdini Digital Assets Houdini User Interface Using and Extending VEX Using and Extending HScript Rendering Getting Data In and Out of Houdini Houdini File System Utility Classes Another important chapter: GA Using Guide: Table Of Contents Introduction to Using GA Eliminating GEO_Point GA_FOR_ALL_GPOINTS() macro Handle Access to Attributes HDK_GA_Using_Handles_GA_AttributeRef GA_AttributeRefMap GA_Handle GA_PageHandle GA_OffsetArray vs. GA_OffsetList vs. GA_IndexArray vs. GA_Range Writing Parallel Algorithms in GA UTparallelFor(), UTparallelReduce() UT_ThreadedAlgorithm Threading writes across page boundaries Adding Custom Primitives Custom Primitives: GEO/GU Custom Primitives: Registration Custom Primitives: SOP creation Custom Primitives: GT (tesselation) The .geo/.bgeo file format JSON Schema Numeric Data Good luck!
  10. Align Geometry on Spline along TangentU and Y-Axis

This is a basic setup with using N and up. That I believe is doing what you want on a figure 8. Orient.hip
  11. scaling pyro sims

Generally, I just scale down everything to a size that I know gives me the best results. Then I play with the timescale to get the correct motion. It seems like having a smoke container too small yields longer sim times. Also having the smoke sim too big seems to run out of gpu memory faster and I get opencl errors. For very small scale liquids, collisions never seem to work well so I have to scale everything up. Even if you have everything physically correct you would still need to tweak settings to match your reference. Hope this helps--
  12. I have tried recreating Azmisov's snow node network (https://github.com/Azmisov/snow), but using the hdk snow solver instead of his custom one (I noticed there were some similarities). In the file attached there is no simulation playing. I assumed it was because of the solver not having an input to calculate on. In /obj/mpm/MPM_DOP/mpm_solver/sopgeo1 , the Data Name parameter should be "particles" for anything to happen (I assume), but once I write that in, Houdini crashes with a segmentation fault. Do you know where am I making a mistake here? Or could you point me to an example of using the hdk snow solver in a network? Thanks! snowSolver_1.hipnc
  13. SOP_PointWave example questions ....

Wow man thanks for this very much.. What chapters are important in yhe documentation to start? As i don't find what I need to understand always.
  14. Keep uv on deformed mesh by points

Hello ! I hope that you all are ok ! I have a problem that I do not understand ! I made a point simulation from a geometry so that it deforms with an elastic effect. I want the final result to keep the uv's basic geometry. I have the VDB, it does not work well. The deform point works almost perfectly, indeed after a certain moment of the simulation, it pushes certain point anyhow and the geometry is badly deformed. I would like to know how to properly adjust the deform point, or another technique to perfectly keep uv if needed ! Thank you ! at_vellum_sticky_uv_OD.hiplc
  15. Custom Solver

Thank you! That clears out the options. I have tried recreating Azmisov's node network, but using the hdk snow solver instead of his custom one (I noticed there were some similarities). In the file attached there is no simulation playing. I assumed it was because of the solver not having an input to calculate on. In /obj/mpm/MPM_DOP/mpm_solver/sopgeo1 , the Data Name parameter should be "particles" for anything to happen (I assume), but once I write that in, Houdini crashes with a segmentation fault. Do you know where am I making a mistake here? snowSolver_1.hipnc
  16. Juraj's playground

Write-up on a Megascans integration which I helped with
  17. Custom Solver

Since you can write and read attributes, you "can" do it in python, but it will be awfully slow. VEX would be a better alternative, but yet it isn't what the language was really made fore. The HDK is for sure the correct way to do it. In fact, one the examples of the HDK is a snow solver. You can find it in $HFS/toolkit/samples/SIM/SNOW_Solver.*
  18. Thanks a lot @amm ! it's more clear now The results i got so far with this shader : downside of the nose the shadow to up upper lips is not having enough saturation, like we would get in a real shot : a bit redish. The shadow is looking like a diffuse shadow without sss. Is there a workaround ? or did i missed something in the shader params ? So i did a try with a new shader : "full sss" : test with both pathtraced and raytraced sss and this shadow looks natural but render times are going insanelly longer than the shader you provided (if i remember it goes from 15 mn with your shader to 6h30mn with the one i tried > yes : no comment). I guess there is no solution that would be both looking real and fast to render. By the way : do you know the difference between raytraced and pathtraced sss : i tried to anderstand the difference (google) but couldn't get a clear explanation of that. From what i've seen, in the tests i did, the raytraced sss is giving back uniforme saturated transmission color and pathtraced are givin both a more controlled saturated transmission and a more feeling "like real" transmission to "deepness" or scattering, it feels a bit like the difference between a 16bit to a linear 32bit image but according to sss. Sorry for the lack of explanation /
  19. Hello, everyone! I'm attempting a snow solver inspired by Azmisov's one (found here: https://github.com/Azmisov/snow ) My main problem right now would be which is the language/framework that would allow for the extensiveness that I need. I want to create a custom dynamics solver. The Azmisov implementation was done in HDK, but being more familiar with python, I was looking if it could be an alternative. Meanwhile, the majority of python examples focus on SOPs and procedural geometry creation. I have also read that creating a new dynamics operator with python is not recommended (Deborah Fowler's page). There would also be alternatives with VEX, simple solver node or a script node. I am interested in finding out the differences and what would suit a custom DOP solver. Thanks, Ivr
  20. Hey guys, Pretty new to Houdini after many years of Maya. I'm importing an alembic and want to push the path attribute all the way to the end to retain the original hierarchy. When I add a voronoi fracture only the inside group seems to maintain the path attribute. The outside group and my original group that I defined before for the object I'm shattering have empty path attributes. How can I copy the correct path attribute back onto the fractured pieces? (If I have multiple prims/ want to maintain the original prims path attr) Thanks guys!
  21. Groupselection inside HDA

Hey there! Im developing some HDA´s for my Bachelor Project! My actual Problem is about the Action Button for a Prim Group Selection. Right now im running the standart Action Button script below: import soputils kwargs['geometrytype'] = (hou.geometryType.Primitives,) kwargs['inputindex'] = 0 soputils.selectGroupParm(kwargs) But, of course it does refer to the Node above the Subnet. My question is: How can i refer to the Node above the Selction Node inside the Subnet ? Is it a Python Callback Script or is it something below the Action Button ? Thank you very much Max
  22. Hey there! Im developing some HDA´s for my Bachelor Project! My actual Problem is about the Action Button for a Prim Group Selection. Right now im running the standart Action Button script below: import soputils kwargs['geometrytype'] = (hou.geometryType.Primitives,) kwargs['inputindex'] = 0 soputils.selectGroupParm(kwargs) But, of course it does refer to the Node above the Subnet. My question is: How can i refer to the Node above the Selction Node inside the Subnet ? Is it a Python Callback Script or is it something below the Action Button ? Thank you very much Max
  23. Open UV View (Uv Editor ) in Python

Thanks you guy for the help , the second code work fine with me , thanks again .
  24. Just coming here a few years later to say thanks for this! It's surprisingly difficult to make generalized tools that generate new primitives and cleanly inherit attributes from the incoming primitives. Also-- I've never seen this structure before in VEX (ADDSETATTRIB). Much cleaner than what I'd been doing... Is there anywhere I can find documentation?
  25. Troubles with melting object

your object is not fully enclosed, try appending PolyCap first
  26. I'm trying to work on a VDB SOP but I'm having problems compiling. I'm windows with Houdini 16.5 and I'm getting "unresolved externals". Along with the usual inclusions I have: #include <GU/GU_PrimVDB.h> #include <openvdb/openvdb.h> #include <openvdb/Grid.h> I'm compiling with cmake which looks like this cmake_minimum_required( VERSION 3.6 ) project( HDK_VolumeDeform ) list( APPEND CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH "$ENV{HFS}/toolkit/cmake" ) find_package( Houdini REQUIRED ) set( library_name SOP_VolumeDeform ) add_library( ${library_name} SHARED SOP_Volume_Deform.C SOP_Volume_Deform.h ) target_link_libraries( ${library_name} Houdini) SET(COMPILE_FLAGS "-TP -std=c++11 -DOPENVDB_3_ABI_COMPATIBLE") add_definitions(${COMPILE_FLAGS}) SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} ${COMPILE_FLAGS}") target_include_directories( ${library_name} PRIVATE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} ) houdini_configure_target( ${library_name} ) Strangely enough, the program does compile if I don't try use iterators, though I'm sure there is a lot that would break it. I've also tried with Hcustom, but running with that yields the same problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much!
  27. Last week
  28. Lol, you did the hard work. Peace.
  1. Load more activity