All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Hey everyone! If we have particles colliding with an object and bouncing off, we can transfer colour to the hit position. Once the particles have bounced off the object, the colour is also removed. How do we get the Cd to remain on the object once the particles have bounced off? Any idea would be great! thanks
  3. Sorry my bad, I am not the best at explaining what issues I am having. I added a hip file that mostly shows how my setup is made. I am instancing hundreds of trees and I figured that instancing the branches and set of leaves per branch would make sense. I forgot to mention that I pack both the branches and leaves together for animation purposes. After the animation I use a unpack sop and I am then left with the branch instances and leaf instances separated. I will try using stylesheets and see if I can get something going
  4. Linux subprocess question

for future reference this does work: subprocess.check_output('/usr/sbin/lsof -t /mydirectory/mymovie.mov | wc -w', shell=True)
  5. Vimeo Profile is Online :)

My Vimeo Profile is online too for Tutorials https://vimeo.com/user95633319
  6. Material Builder to Layer

hi, it's not very clear what are you trying to achieve. pictures are not helping much so it's hard to give any advice. anyways, there is a masterclass on materials mixing in case you haven't seen it: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-16-masterclass-custom-shading/
  7. Errors while rendering

It could be easy for you to analyze, what the problem is, so, I'd like to share but I'm afraid that I can not share the hip file because the file is made when I was following a paid online tutorial. I don't want any trouble with the instructor. Anyway, I was rendering cached moving geometry, foam, white water, and fluid simulation. As soon as I read your post I checked that I cached simulation. And I found that I made cache files of "compressed_cache" of the fluid simulation, but I did not make a cache of "surface_cache". Then, I started making a cache file of the "surface_cache", Houdini shows the same error message afterward. So I checked the points number, it was 3.6mil. Is this a High setting for my hardware? My cpu is AMD Ryzen 7 2700, ddr4 ram 64gb, Geforce GTX 1060 3gb, and my hdd is 4TB. I attached a screen shot of "particlefluidsurface".
  8. hi, 1. if you post a hipfile demonstrating the issue it will be easier to help you. 2. do you have any special reason to pack things in a way you do? i mean, having multiple packed levels isn't typically a great idea. can you pack leaves and branches separately? alongside that, unless your branches are duplicate geometries, there is no benefit from packing them. 3. materials should work fine if assigned on primitive level before packing. if you need to assign them after packing use material stylesheets, or Packed Edit SOP (simpler but doesn't offer that much)
  9. VDB From Primitive

If you want to use actual geometry have you tried using polygons but on the copy node turning on pack and instance.
  10. Visual Effects Artists Needed - Work Remotely

Hi Can you provide email Thanks
  11. Errors while rendering

Hi! What are you rendering? It's a sim? Is it cached on disk or is simulating and rendering? From those messages is seems like the video card is running out of memory, but if it's just a render and not a sim running on OpenCL ... that's strange. Can you share the hip?
  12. Linux subprocess question

I want to check if an external movie file is being used by another process before continuing with a script. If I run this in the terminal it returns 1 (which I think is correct as it is being used by rv) lsof -t /mydirectory/mymovie.mov | wc -w if I run this in a python script in houdini it returns 0. subprocess.call(' lsof -t /mydirectory/mymovie.mov | wc -w', shell=True) Any idea as to why this is the case? Truth be told - I don't really know what I'm doing here.....
  13. Hey! I'm in a situation where I have cached a huge amount of points on disk and I want to render those points. What I do in the scene is reading the bgeo.sc caches, merge them all together, trail the points to calculate velocity, apply a pscale, assign a shader and render. If I run it on the farm with IFDs it takes a lot of time to generate the IFDs for render, and I'm trying to reduce the time of this task. I noticed that the IFD itself is tiny, the big part is that under the IFD folder there's a storage folder where basically I have a huge bgeo.sc file per frame which I suppose is the geometry I'm about to render. I wonder if all of this is not redundant since all those operation can be done at rendertime I suppose...I tried to set the file sop in "packed disk primitive" but it seems I cannot apply pscale after that, all the points render at pscale 1...
  14. Hi! I am creating a digital asset with some paint nodes inside. I am promoting their interfaces to the hda UI. I have set the parameter in Type properties/Node/Default State to paint. This way when I click on the show handle brush it switches to the paint tool (in the bar above the viewport). The problem is that the brush circle doesn't appear and when I try to paint on the mesh it does nothing. I just found this thread about the topic but I haven't been able to make it work, maybe because a lot of things are changed from 2010. Any ideas on how to do it?
  15. Discretize 2d shapes

Given a shape, how could you process it to make it a good starting point for copying those various elements at its points ? At first it looked like something related to the Bresenham algorithm, but neighbor pieces have to have one common edge.. The anti aliasing algorithm avoids such situation, so it won't work I wonder what other mathematical problem this is related to.Could it be as simple as a snap (fuse), to a grid, then take care of the 45 degree edges ? I'm trying to have a polygon that is made only of segments oriented along one axis only at a time, and is an approximation of the initial geometry.
  16. Discretize 2d shapes

Given a shape, how could you process it to make it a good starting point for copying those various elements at its points ? At first it looked like something related to the Bresenham algorithm, but neighbor pieces have to have one common edge.. The anti aliasing algorithm avoids such situation, so it won't work I wonder what other mathematical problem this is related to.Could it be as simple as a snap (fuse), to a grid, then take care of the 45 degree edges ?
  17. parameter value relative offset

THIS.... is fantastic! Many thanks, as an ex Softie it's super helpful to be able to do this (easily) again. Rich.
  18. Drag&Drop Contents

hello could you give a hand into making this pipeable ? as in keeping it on a server and having it served via houdini.env ? Not sure about the folder structure/ PYTHONPATH etc I'm trying to keep things clean but not super familiar with the whole pipe'
  19. Greetings! I have a branch that I have scattered instances of leaves on. So a branch consists of about 20 points of leaves. I pack the leaves. I then pack the branch with the leaves before I copy the branch(now with the leaves packed with it) onto the tree. Now I get about 1000 branches with 1000 sets of leaves. I have made a leaf material that works good if each leaf is its own instance/point. However in this case where one instance of leaves consists of 20 leaves/points I get weird results. How would I go about to assign my material so it effect each primitive instead of set of points? treeTeststuff.hip
  20. VDB From Primitive

Instead of using spheres, you could just replace each sphere with a point at it's centre and assign it a pscale attribute which is the radius of the sphere. Then you can use vdbfromparticles and get a perfect sphere for each one.
  21. animate normal like sea ​​urchin

sorry for the mistake...
  22. Hi, A simple question but I can't seem to get the answer. I need to convert a sphere primitive to a volume, when I do this with a VDBfromPoly instead of the VDB showing up as a perfect sphere I get this low res sphere similar to what you would get with a low frequency poly sphere (see screenshot) Is there something to tweak to get a perfect sphere, or is there a better way to to convert from a primitive straight to a volume? P.S. The reason I need to do this is because Im copying a few hundred thousand spheres to points and if I try to do this with poly spheres houdini crashes always.. only way I seem to be able to do it is by keeping the original sphere a primitive. Thanks!
  23. Errors while rendering

I use houdini 17 and while I'm rendering with mantra with default render settings Error occurs Houdini console shows " OpenCL Exception: clFinish (-36) OpenCL Context error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_READ_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Device 0). OpenCL Exception: clEnqueueReadBuffer (-5) OpenCL Exception: clEnqueueReadBuffer (-5) OpenCL Context error: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES error executing CL_COMMAND_READ_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Device 0). OpenCL Context error: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Device 0). OpenCL Exception: clEnqueueWriteBuffer (-4) " Any suggestion, please?
  24. Thanks! I got what i want to do!
  25. Hello! I was going to ask how to do this but I figured it out and so I might as well post this in case someone else has the same problem. If you want to source expansion for pyro in houdini 17, we don't have the fluid source node. Instead we have the pyro source. However, there is no expansion option for initialize. I remembered there was a shelf tool that auto-creates the nodes, so I tried it out. As it turns out (and seems confusing to me) you have to use the flip source then choose expand. Back in Dops you can use the volume source node and set it to expand also. Anyway, hope this helps-
  26. Yesterday
  27. Rendering Cola

Here's my try at it. I reversed the faces of the bubbles, then merge them with the main/outer fluid mesh. cola.hipnc
  1. Load more activity