All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi, im using the prim expression to find a value from a primitive. but all primitives have different values and i want to polyextrude them accordingly. I cant use prim(surface_node, @PR, attrib_name, attrib_index). do I need to use this in a for each? or is there a faster less heavy method?
  3. Today
  4. Camera Projection from Moving camera

up!
  5. Is it possible per-pieces scaling?

if it's packed you can use the (nasty?) node 'primitive' which I guess is a blackbox node that does a foreach on each prim
  6. or set the pscale attribute per point before you copySOP it
  7. Is it possible per-pieces scaling?

Run into a foreach with this expression in the pivot translate "$CEX $CEY $CEZ" of a trasnform, or in a primirive sop with "do trasnformation" enabled . Then you should be able to trasnform each primitive indipendently! Best regards Frankie
  8. Hi; Please take a look at my simple test file and help me: why "GameDev Dissolve Flat Edges", caps my model? Is this a bug? Thanks. dissolve_flat_edges.hip
  9. Non-Simulated Flame (+hipfile & notes)

Looking very good Man. Thanks.
  10. Hello; In "Transform SOP" (or maybe other SOPs), is it possible to do a Per_Element scaling? I mean to scale each pieces based on it's bbox_center pivot, not based on main pivot (pivot defined in transform sop). In 3DSMax you have several option to scale selected pieces of a geometry which is awesome ("Use Selection center", "Use Pivot point center" , ... ). Thanks.
  11. Proper Branching Topology

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum and to Houdini. If you like to “nearly drown” in vex, than you may like this talk
  12. Matrices - CG Forge - Quicktip

For more tutorials, check out cgforge.com In this quick tip, I talk about matrices. If you've ever wondered about what a matrix is, and how they can be useful, then you'll love this introduction to the topic. Thanks for watching!
  13. Hi Guys... How are you? I know there is a lot of information there that try to explain why this issue happens. However, I´ve tried to set up a basic scene to replicate the most common problem out there The scene attached is not the final or nothing at all... It was at the point of testing when I'm writing this post HOUDINI COLLISION FLIP ISSUES The main idea is this: Making the inside of the character-filled with liquid (just a little more than half). The liquid MUST be the same at all time. I had to invert signs of the static object to make it "work" And here the magic dust came along. THE LIQUID DISAPPEAR I´ve tried the following attempts with no luck so far: Reduce the grid size to 1 so the voxels of the flips have the same size of particle separation, Reduce the Particle scale to 1 to avoid conflicts in collision Try to multiply the scale by 3 to make it bigger and up the timescale of the solver to match it. I also try to advect the collision field with a volume source with VDB but it was worst and I discard that option in the minute Thoughts: I think it has to be with the particle collision mixture between volumes and particles. For some reason (i think particle accumulation) the solver reaps particles that are very close together and in the next frames, it does the same thing over and over until you are left with no particles at all... I tried to adjust the reseeding and even not reseeding at all and no luck either... It will be SO COOL to finally leave this point crystal clear to avoid future users to melt their brains out Cheers to all Peace! Wolf.rar
  14. Yesterday
  15. H17 Water Rendering Issues

Yup, that's your problem. I've run into it before. I'm coincidentally fixing it at work too. It's a pain in the arse. Try going without the volume part of the render, if you can't change the sim. There's many places to try to fix it and prevent those render busting bubbles.
  16. Proper Branching Topology

Just stick the branches into the trunk and other branches. You most likely don't need it to be water tight single perfectly modeled object like it might come out of ZBrush. Don't fall into a science-experiment mentality, it's an endless rabbit hole. Just get the pixels out
  17. Pro tips for flip meshing?

Yeah, that half-sphere have 1.3 units on all sides, so it's considerably small. I've put some surface tension there, but just a little, maybe I can try to put some more and do some tests. and yeah, I totally forgot about Swirly Kernel, I will try it too!
  18. Align geo with normals on an oval shape

I finally managed to find a solution : I've separate the circle in two parts : one with the points where I copy my windows, and the other is the original geometry where I want my windows to be aligned with (to do this, just duplicate the circle and double the divisions, and then do a grouprange with an offset and keep the part you want to be the source of the copy (the points in blue are the ones from the original geo and the orange ones are those where I copy the geo)) Then, I compute normals based on the tangent u (with a polyframe sop) from the original geometry and I transfer it to the points I want to copy my windows over, and I rotate my windows by 90 and then boom, it's aligned. I've attached a hipfile because I think my explanations are really non-understandable Cheers, Align_the_windows.hipnc
  19. HELP!! import vdb to houdini

I don't know about the tool you are describing, but .vdb files can be read with a file sop. Just drop a volume visualization and preview the appropriate fields, otherwise it will look like a box of smoke.
  20. Proper Branching Topology

Hey Kleer, Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Yeah, I'm technically an "environment" artist for games, but the future is procedural so I figured why not take the plunge. (Plus I really enjoy near drowning in Vex.) The prerendered stuff looks amazing out of Houdini, though, and is definitely something I need to get into, like FX. Especially FX. I didn't realize Houdini doesn't store project geo locally. (Also my base model was from Maya so it was grossly overscaled.) I'm trying to create topology that is four sided, so it can be subdivided into 8 sides (or more) with clean quads. I'm controlling this at the moment through Polywire, and the topology is relatively clean, just triangulated at the joints. As for the UV's I'm not really sure how to UV in Houdini at the moment, and I hadn't really got to that stage in my learning the program yet. I was just going to do them by hand in another 3D package and use textures I have made from Substance. I planned on using this tool as a sort of a vine generator that flexes using base blend shape animations in real time. I fixed up the tool with and added Tommy as the base instead of base Unreal Guy. Vine_PathGen_topo_002.hiplc
  21. PolyBevel problem - Modeling

You have redundant points after polybevel1. Use fuse node after it.
  22. Advice for making paint flow down a wall

From what I understand you want the fluid to reconnect into a coherent stream after colliding with the bottle. This is actually counter to the behavior of the viscosity. Viscosity is basically the fluid trying to move the same as its neighbor. The higher the viscosity the less each point in the sim wants to spread out. And you want some spread. And unless you put in some additional forces to make it flow around the bottle it's never going to happen. Also it looks like your collision object of the wall and floor could use some additional definition. Try upping the divisions to 120 or so until the blue collision preview geo matches more closely to your poly geo. Here are some things to help make it look like you want: (mix and match at will) 1) Put the bottle in a little divot, in a little downward bump for the fluid to fill up as it goes around. A little smooth cup under the bottle with a wide downward slope. Maybe an extra radius around on each side and as deep as twice to four times your particle separation. 2) Put the whole shelf on a downward angle going down to the back where the wall is. Just one degree or less. Make sure you have enough definition in your collision object. 3) Make an advection field around your bottle. This is probably one of the trickier solutions and might look odd and require a bit of fussyness. It's more of an advanced trick. 4) Radically reduce your viscosity. You can thicken up the fluid later when you're surfacing or turn down gravity if it's flowing too fast.
  23. Pro tips for flip meshing?

I think is also because of the details. I assume this is a small scale thing, right? If so, you should use surface tension, right now it looks like a large scale one with lack of splashing detail, if you want more detail at large scale try to use the "swirly kernel" on the solver, this will preserve even more the momentum of the sim but will smooth a bit the violence and chaos behavior in comparison with the "splashing kernel", but will give you much better splashing details. Then on the skinning stage, you can try an old school method: with a VDB pipeline use: Dilate - Smooth - Erode. Cheers! Alejandro
  24. stretch and squeeze by map along geometry

Hey everybody, I just found out that you can't set the tension per point or primitive with Spring SOP see: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/2104/?page=1#post-8680 I tried Cloth as well but I did't found any way to expand or shrink it with point attributes. Basically I want to set a force per point to repeal or attract the other points (but in a cloth or softbody like manner): Do you guys have any hints which solver or method I should use? Thanks a lot! Flo
  25. PolyBevel problem - Modeling

Pack your pieces, and then do a for each loop where you unpack and bevel them individually, and repack them after
  26. Hey, I'm working on a building generator and I can't find a way to align my windows properly when the base shape of the building is oval. When it's a circle everything is okay : But when the shape starts to be oval, it looks like this : Here's the vop network I built to align it with a circle shape, but not functionning with an oval shape : I don't know what I miss to get it working... Cheers,
  27. PolyBevel problem - Modeling

is this what you need? polybevel_voronoi_jl_v02.hip
  28. Pro tips for flip meshing?

To me it looks okay, maybe try to work more your shading, and add some motion blur. Did you try to play with the @pscale value ? Maybe decreasing it could help to get more details
  1. Load more activity