All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. What is the difference between the vellum source and vellum object when used in a DOPNet. I find myself using both, yet it appears they both do the same thing as all I'm supplying both is the out sop path and the outConstraints path ?
  3. Here is an attempt to remove and establish the line between the points. This is every 24 frames. It leverages your idea of programming the Carve with an on off value. ap_CheckEvery10SecondsAndConnectOrDisconnect-elaborated.hipnc
  4. modeling a cell (beginner)

Hi Daniel, that's a complex shape which will require a fair amount of RnD. But to get started you could delete the top of a spherified cube and deform it with noise. The finer surface structures would probably be done with displacement textures. cell.hipnc
  5. Today
  6. I saw your post just before posting mine, but I thought it was a different problem. Maybe I don't quite understand what you want to achieve: Do you want the repeating bleeps to fade away based on a ramp? Anyways, in this version of the hip I've also put the animation I want to be triggered: CheckEvery10SecondsAndConnectOrDisconnect-elaborated.hipnc I'll keep searching too!
  7. modeling a cell (beginner)

Greetings, I want to create a procedural shape like the one i am attaching to this thread. I cant seem to find the right process to achieve this. Would anybody please help and explain how to get this shape and form? any help would be appreciated.
  8. Constraint don't follow object

Thanks Yigit! I see this is working because your object is animated static obj.. What if it was deforming? Whole new story?
  9. I'm in exactly the same kind of research. It seems that CHOP is one of the solutions. you can look here there is a file with a CHOP example. Don't sure it matches your needs, but may be a clue. In my case, animated instance seems to be an alternative solution. Anyway, I'm also interested if you find a solution. On my side if I find one I will post it.
  10. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

here's my go.... (well if I can't vex...gotta do something else to jazz it up) vu_VellumCurtainPull2.zip
  11. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

Thanks Tomas! That solution worked as I expected! To clarify what this piece of vex code does: inpointgroup(0, "pin", @ptnum) : return True or False ( 1/0 ) based on if the current pt in input [0] is in group 'pin' then assigning the value to the stopped attribute on each point in the vellum system if stopped = 1, hard constraint is maintained if stopped = 0, hard constraint is turned off PS. I really like this solution because it allows me to animate the bounding object back over the unpinned points to constraint them again in the same vellum system. Thanks!
  12. Random File to Point

Amazing, I'll have to do more in depth research into packed prims and how to use them effectively, as i clearly didn't understand them. Looks like Arnold can even read the hidden attrs on them, just prim groups and material assigning causing me trouble. But looks like unpacking solves that and in this case im only dealing with a few mill prims so should be good. Thanks very much for the help!
  13. Vellum cloth scatter issues

Hah, well why didn't you say that in the 1st place? The main problem is scatter messing up point counts. Here are 2 versions in this scene. Your way tweaked a little, and a copy points version. Switch the switch to 1 and reveal your instances to see your version tweaked. Copy points is another way that may allow more control with packed geo. Maybe someone will chime in with a completely better way to instance geo, POST sim, as its not good practice to rebuild every frame like this. _Example_Vellum_Scatter.HIM.v012.hiplc
  14. Yesterday
  15. Solaris camera

That's a good question and it would be really handy. but so far neither I found a way how to keep SOP assignments after import. RFE?
  16. What would be the best way to rather than meshing all of the particles, only have the particles that are closest together meshed and render the rest as Spray particles? Like in this test by Igor Zanic
  17. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

there is couple of ways, but since it seems you only need hard pin contraints update and you are already basing everything off of a group here is the easiest way for your case 1. set Pin Type to Stopped, which will use @stopped attribute to define what's pinned instead of zero @mass, this makes it easier to unpin stuff as the actual @mass is not lost for pinned points 2. inside of the solver subnet, add POP Wrangle for example, bind first input to First Input Geo and use: i@stopped = inpointgroup(0, "pin", @ptnum); vellum_update_pinConstraint_HELP_fix.hipnc
  18. Solaris camera

Do the materials keep their assignments? I'm able to bring materials into lops with the scene import lop but still have to manually reassign them to their respective groups.
  19. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

i'd say it's possible with a wrangle in the solver SOP (delete the constraint i'd say) but i'm not much of a coder. Will have a try anyway but I reckon @anim can write this up in seconds.
  20. Direct Modeling HDA

Hi Alexey. Is there an update to houdini 18 planned? I am using 17.5 with DM 2.1. In houdni 18 the modeler mode does not function it seems. By the way really nice plugin!
  21. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

Thanks for your help Noobini! I also want to do a snapping off animation ( someone pulling on the shower curtain to snap off the points one by one / release from the 'pin' group ), and I am animating the bounding object to try to achieve that, while it is updating in SOPs ( I see the points entering and leaving the group in the spreadsheet ) it is not transferring the updates into the vellum solver, could you help me solve this problem as well please? Thanks!
  22. Vellum SOP - update pin group over time

I'd simply animate the 'pin' points. Here's my proof of concept if you'd like to have a look. vu_VellumCurtainPull.hiplc
  23. Hi guys, I have this constantly moving particles and I create connections between them. Now I want to 'disconnect' or 'reconnect' them sporadically. I would like to create an pre defined animation for that with a carve SOP and trigger that animation based on distance of the connection. I have already captured that distance attribute on the primitives. Of course I don't want this to happen all the time, just some times. Every 10/20 seconds have a check on every primitive if a reconnection/disconnection is necessary. (Seconds/time ofcourse offsetted on every prim) Now how would someone go about this? Is CHOPs required for this? Then maybe this is the trigger for me to go and learn CHOPs.... Or is it better/easier to do this in VEX, if that is possible? Here is the hip I have so far: CheckEvery10SecondsAndConnectOrDisconnect.hipnc Thanks in advance.
  24. Propagating point creation with VEX

Eureka! (No need for point arrays after all...) So, from what I originally intended to be a grass generator... it will be a multi-purpose generator (including the effect on hair that electrocution has according to popular cartoon depictions) Still to figure out a way to control the up angle at every sample... and to orient the points correctly based on the starting points (polyframe the prims I guess...)
  25. Houdini UI broken on new Dell XPS 2-in1

Same here ,tried with 16.5 and with qt4 and even 18 they all had the same problem. Contacted sidefx theybtested on an older version of surface and it seems to be working there. hopefully its just a driver issue
  26. Normals not normal

Thanks Henry. Makes a lot more sense.
  27. Normals not normal

That looks right for point normals for that particular shape. Primitive normals don't really exist... you can't directly modify them with attributes like you'd think. They're more an indication of the vertex winding order per-primitive than anything else. If a primitive normal is facing the wrong way, you need to use a Reverse SOP, and then possibly invert your point or vertex normals. If you want to see primitive normals, it's a different button on the side toolbar (the one with the primitive with the normal sticking out of it). Generally speaking, you want vertex normals if you have polygon geometry. Open polylines and points generally use point normals. It really depends on what you want to do with them (for example, using N as a force vector would generally be best done with point normals), but for any typical polygon model, vertex normals is the expectation... this is how you get control over the apparent "hardness" of edges. Otherwise your corners are all going to appear mushy because the renderer is going to interpret your point normals as perfectly averaged vertex normals. If you drop down a Normal SOP in vertex mode and play with the cusp angle, you'll get an idea of why you want to be able to control normals at the vertex level.
  28. @konstantin magnus Hi konstantin. Would you also know how to remove the first index when using a point cloud instead of nearpoints()? I got this far but the second line needs to be for index, not removal of the point... int firstPTcloudnum = pcimportbyidxi(PTcloud, "point.number", 0); removepoint(0,firstPTcloudnum);
  1. Load more activity