All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. white spots ocean render

I would still like to figure this out. Check out the photo I uploaded. you can see the white spots appear where the water mesh is not penetrating the ground. I believe it has to do with refraction. It seems in order to render water correctly, the water needs to have part of the surface above the ground, and part below. the way I fixed it in one of my renders is by creating a mask where the collision happens, then extending the bottom of the flip sim down so that all of it penetrates the ground. This is slow and it seems like there would be another method. Surely someone else had to have come across this problem? It doesn't matter how high my resolution is, it always happens.
  3. Today
  4. FYI. and for future reference, I decided to go with the old school instance node, rather than the copy to points approach. The later was taking much more time to refresh on viewport even with a few hundred copieas displayed as a box. The geo "instance" node could easily handle over half a million instances in the viewport. The other thing is as @davpe mentioned, packed instances are not suported by Arnold, which I need to use the final render. With the geo "instance" node I managed to render half a million instances, animated with over 3 million faces each with no problem. I will just try to implement time randomness with the techique sugested by @Atom.
  5. Houdini 17 Wishlist

The ability to create New Operator Type... code nodes from HOM. It is a little bit rise of the machine to allow python to create python nodes. I didn't realize we couldn't and it be nice to wrap all HDA creations under similar script. These types of HDAs: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/pythonsop.html Also allow the menu creation of those HDAs to be put in the same asset section as the rest of the HDA creation scripts.
  6. Duplicating Digital Asset with parameters variation...

Thanks. I think I've read stamping is going to be deprecated, but this could be a solution for now. However, when I add a dopnet in the geo network that references something being stamped, it's no longer working, I have the default stamp value I believe, once it enters the dopnet Is duplicating dopnets a good idea anyway ? I could certainly replicate the geometry before the dopnet and use it as a whole, but it made more sense for what I had in mind to have independant dopnet, one in each instance
  7. Fatal error: Segmentation fault

You mean to write to support@sidefx.com? But "only Annual Upgrade Plan and Rental Customers may contact our support team to discuss production issues" and I have Apprentice.
  8. heh, that's a bummer... i would probably just ask sidefx what they think you should do about it. i haven't ever seen this message (and hope i never will ), my last windows update went a week ago or so and i'm on 16.5.378.
  9. When I run Houdini this morning I get a message: Indeed the system was updated this night. Now when I try to open scenes with one big asset they crash: Fatal error: Segmentation fault I do not really understand what should I do exactly in order to "contact SideFX about getting an upgrade to Houdini to address this issue". I suppose crashes are related to windows update.
  10. Houdini Pyro render issues

Not sure if this would help (like atom said its really dense) you could try raising the volume width filter under shading of your object.
  11. GI makes scene darker

this is what i get when i load the scene and hit render. photon map generation can take a while thou so you may need to wait (or make your photon count and filter/prefilter samples fewer). actually i haven't changed any significant settings in your scene. my guess is it was just a path to the photon file on one of your lights that made it fail. regarding suggested workflow, you can achieve photorealism by any available method, it is more a question of a way of getting there more than whether you can get there. photon maps actually is something i wouldn't discourage you from using, and particularly for interior scenes it may perform better than other illumination methods. but it's a bit dated in terms of workflow and it is somewhat more complicated to set up properly (images may appear fuzzy or may have nasty artifacts). most renders you see today are computed by pathtracing, which is an unbiased method for light transport used by most contemporary CPU renderers, including Mantra and Arnold. its' accuracy is superb and it is really easy to use, on the other hand, pathtracing is generally slower than photon maps and images may show unwanted noise, especially in scenes that are mostly illuminated by indirect light (typical for interiors or evening/night lighting). effects like caustics for example are very expensive to render with pathtracing. both methods have it's pluses and minuses and it's up to you to consider which one is right for your needs. hope that helps. cheers.
  12. Houdini Pyro render issues

What you are seeing is the edge of each voxel, which are just boxes. You are pushing the density value too much in the shader.
  13. Tsunami Wave

Hello, I am trying to create a tsunami scene in which a giant ocean wave bringing a large whale with it hits the ground and enter in the city. And of course, I am taking 2012 Shots as reference. Now which is the best way to create a wave like that and also I tried ocean waves node and merged that with ocean spectrum in wavetank_initial but in the fluid simulation particles do not maintain their shape and they just fall down and get mixed with the ocean(Please find attached screenshot). And in Wavetank_Inital it follows the pattern but I when simulate it in wavetank_fluid after some frames the hero wave just starts to fall. So, Whats wrong here, the Process or there is another way to do this effect? Kindly guide me on that. Thanks I have also attached the reference video. Ref.mp4
  14. python is a way to go for such things...
  15. This is definitely useful, but so far I could only superficially argue with python. I don't know how to adapt it most sensibly.
  16. Houdini Pyro render issues

Thanks for your advice even there wasn't much info. I think both of the problem might happened maybe because of substeps as you said. I'll have a try! Thank you very much!
  17. Houdini Pyro render issues

Hard to tell without more info, but usually : you can solve the « stairs » problem by increasing the substeps of your simulation. With small substeps, those stairs effect appear where the speed is high. I don’t what source you have used, but if it’s from particles or object, you can also increase the substeps, to smooth the emission and then avoid having those artifacts. The « boiling » : well, I think you’re talking about the smoke taking the form of a big smooth mushroom while getting high in the air ? You can limit this either by lowering the temperature of your your smoke, and/or decreasing the buoyancy of your pyro sim. The force that is applied to the smoke is buoyancy * (delta Temperature). A bit like an Archimede force but with difference of T between the fluid and its surrounding. By decreasing that, you limit the mushroom effect. Hope that helps
  18. POP Grains - Experiments and Issues!

Updated 5 million particles. Looks stable but can’t control the setup to my liking. I will still have a second look at the master class. untitled.mp4
  19. Jigsaw Puzzle

As if figuring out Houdini is not hard enough by itself....
  20. I'm working on a houdini pyro smoke scene and the problem is when I render it, the smoke comes out like it's boiling and also with layers ... I don't know why this happens... maybe because of the emitter or maybe render setting...? I couldn't find it on google as well... somebody help please
  21. I'm working on a houdini pyro smoke scene and the problem is when I render it, the smoke comes out like it's boiling and also with layers ... I don't know why this happens... maybe because of the emitter or maybe render setting...? I couldn't find it on google as well... somebody help please
  22. clustering and merging fuel

Hello, I have a fire simulation with a constant fuel value of 1. Now, i want to randomize the flame height on the same emitter so that there is a clear distinction that there are bigger fires and smaller ones. My solution is to add in additional fuel that is remapped by a cluster attribute. I would like to know if there is a better way of doing this or if this is the way to go. I don't seem to be getting very noticeable results either. I am also not sure if I am merging in my fuel properly... I am using a volume mix in this case Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I will attach my scene file for anyone that wants to take a look. Thank you. clustering fuel.hip
  23. use point attribs in volume

Thanks Henry. That did the trick. Exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Cheers
  24. Yesterday
  25. use point attribs in volume

easiest way is to use point cloud functions in your shader to read the points and get the average Cd in a radius, then use that as your volume color. if you need the colors in SOPs, it's more or less the same thing... pcopen() and pcfilter() in a volume wrangle to get the average P within a radius, then bind that to a Cd vector volume. just have to create the volume in advance, before the wrangle.
  26. use point attribs in volume

I solved the density problem, by simply bind the density inside the volume rasterize vop and multiplying it against incoming density. now only thing left is to solve how to get my volume colorized according to my particles
  1. Load more activity