All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. How to select a bevelled edges?

Submitted an RFE for this
  3. Rendering Cola

I bet a lot of money this look came from comp more than from anyone render engine. It looks heavily modified.
  4. you may want to lower resize_container/Bounds/Field/FieldCutoff
  5. Building a beast Houdini + Redshift mainly

Any reason to wait for the next gen Threadripper? Will they have more cores and/or base GHz?
  6. export texture

for exporting these additional channels you need to setup a shader with bake exports. watch the masterclass to understand how stuff works: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/h15-masterclass-mantra-rendering-and-texture-baking/ or this for gameDev maps baker: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/game-tools-maps-baker/
  7. snapping point to a Null

in 17.5 snapping to null works perfectly good for me
  8. Modeling questions (remesh, polyfill)

hi, 1. PolyFill wouldn't work with quadrilaterals on this particular shape as it wasn't able to produce full quad output due to pointed ends (if you made end tips slightly beveled it would work) 2. can't give you a technical answer why remesh was not working for the shape you produced. anyways, when I built the same shape in a way I would normally do it, it magically started to work. i guess polyFill is not really meant to produce a mesh out of curves, and while it did it, it ended up being an invalid surface in some way. cheers, D.
  9. Vellum jitters non-stop without loss of energy!

I had a look at your scene - lowering the cloth constraint thickness to 0.001 and raising some of the dampening settings got most of the jittering out.
  10. Yesterday
  11. This .hip needs more work to do but yes, i think it is possible too. heightfield on such shape_01.hipnc
  12. Disable Simulations on Startup

Add these lines to `scripts/456.py`: # Disable simulation updates hou.setSimulationEnabled(False) # Set cook update mode to manual hou.setUpdateMode(hou.updateMode.Manual)
  13. Select Outside Edges Only

Hi guys.. How does one convert them to edges?
  14. Hello, Here is short video showing how volumes can be used to shade and texture semi-translucent organic things. Volumes For Organic Assets This approach allows to achieve close-up realistic organic look for semi-transclucent assets where SSS or colored refraction is not enough. An object with UV's is converted to signed distance volume with UVW grid. Then volume is used to set density and perform uv lookup in rendering. This way density can be adjusted by depth. I.e. not so dense near the surface and very dense at the core. Or not very dense, then dense patch like island of fat, then not dense again. UVW grid is used to texture volume. Different textures can be used at different depth. This approach allows very flexible yet powerful way to place any texture at given depth. Texture X at depth Y. I.e. big veins are 5mm under the surface. This approach is best for close up organic hero renders where SSS or refraction are not looking good enough. Attaching example file volumetric_textures_example.hip
  15. Rotate orthographic (top) view?

Hi, maybe you could make a camera pointing down (for a top view) and make that camera orthogonal. Then you should be able to rotate it along y-axis. ?
  16. Hi, many ways to do that... here is one: make a "group by range" node, choose points as a group type, and put 0 for start, 1 for end, and check inverse range. This will select the last point. make another group, with point 0. blast those 2 groups. a shorter way would be a wrangler: put down a point wrangler node. and type this : removepoint(0,0); if(@ptnum == (@numpt-1)) removepoint(0,@ptnum); first line remove point 0 (the first point of the line). (0,0)means : (geometry entering slot number 0 of the node , point number 0) second line reads : if the actual point number is equal to the number of points minus one (the last point of the line) third line : remove that point
  17. MSI GL63 8SE laptop

I`d like to install 17.5 houdini version and not QT ( that i installed because it`s the only version that work )..
  18. Hi, When I use a Remesh on my mesh, it doesn't do anything. Tried changing any parameter. Anyone has an idea why this is? Was also wondering why I can't choose quadrilaterals in my PolyFill. modeling questions.hip Help would be appreciated.
  19. Hello. I'm trying to delete first point and last point of geometry made with line node. Somebody have a solution for this?
  20. Rotate orthographic (top) view?

Okay thanks. But what if I want specifically the top view? Or if I want the top view 90 rotated?
  21. Neighbour count doesn't seem(?) to work?

Allright thanks.. The example I had picked up here didn't have that. But it has 'input_index', instead of 'filename'? https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/13933/?page=1#post-65825 What did it do now exactly without this OpInput1 connected? Where did these 0's, 2's and 3's come from?
  22. Is it also possible when you have, say, a shape like this? Can you cut out what's in the height field grid which is not the same is this shape (from top view, I guess)? heightfield on such shape.hip
  23. Neighbour count doesn't seem(?) to work?

Make sure in your countneighbours vop you plug in OpInput1 into filename like this:
  24. MSI GL63 8SE laptop

Assuming you're not using anything that relies on the older version of Qt, I'd try updating the video card drivers (downloaded directly from Nvidia) and update Windows. If that doesn't change anything then maybe try a vanilla install of Windows instead of the manufacturer provided Windows. If you're using something that relies on the older version of Qt then continue with the version of Houdini, with legacy Qt support, that works.
  25. Hi, I want to procedurally select the two end points of my shape. I read I could achieve this by counting the neighbours and using a group expression. You would think every point on my shape would have 2 neighbours, instead of only the two end points, who would have 1 neighbour. But I get very strange results. Lots have 0, a few have 3 and 2.. I don't understand it. Can someone please explain to me what is happening? neighbours doesnt work.hip Thanks!
  26. Project points on geo

Added projection from the top...lidar_test_intersect2.hipnc
  27. Project points on geo

I wonder if intersect_all() would give you what you need.. lidar_test_intersect.hipnc
  1. Load more activity