Weird velocity motion blur?

Hi there.

I was messing/meshing ( :P ) with a quick particle fluid surface SOP test, and when I tried to add motion blur to it I decided to go for velocity blur because I am saving the simulation to files and then loading them from the appropiate File SOP, and to the extent of my knowledge, velocity blur is the only one that will work with such a situation, so I add a Trail SOP and the whole thing goes haywire...

I know velocity blur is not the automagical solution every time and as OldSchool has told us several times it can be dangerous if badly used, specially with situations like this when the whole thing comes from a particle animation, but I cannot recall the right solution for this...

Any hints?

I

testFluidSurface.hipnc

Hey Netvudu,

I see your problem. :) Under the Attributes tab of the Particle Fluid Surface SOP, put a "v" in the Attributes parameter. This will transfer the Velocity attribute to the fluid surface. It works very well. I can't help with your rendering question now but remember to use white cards to give you nice glints etc. A nice HDRI map will help greatly too. Reflection is very important. Go to youtube etc to look for reference.

I'll try to return to this if workload permits.

Cheers!

steven

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I tried to do the same test but the motion blur is still weird to me. I managed to get the motion blur with the "v" attribute added in Particle Fluid Surface, but the motion blur seems too much and the result looks not natural. I already tried to change the different parameters in mantra and in ParticleFluidSurface node, but no big difference.

I posted the two images here, one with motion blur and one without blur. Could anyone let me know how to fix it?

hi Netvudu, how did you fix the HDRI problem? I tried some sky images but the fluid surface looks very blue. Any advice?

Thanks.

post-3784-1210308337_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1210308384_thumb.jpg

Edited by curveU