I did that specific fracture before the Houdini 16+ booleans were available, using a custom voronoi cutters technique. Basically, I used boolean-style cutter geometry to guide a voronoi fracture.
1) Scattered lots of points on the cutter geo, point-jitter them for width, and create cluster attributes on those points to create small clumps
2) Create a band of voronoi points a bit further from the cutter geometry, to define the large chunks. These points all get the same cluster value, and make sure that cluster value isn't used in the small-chunks clusters.
3) Run the fracture with clustering.... although the new H17 voronoi fracture doesn't seem to have clustering built in. So I believe you need to do the clustering post-fracture in H17, which unfortunately doesn't have an option to remove the unnecessary internal faces, so the geom can be a bit heavy with the new workflow. (Unless I'm missing something obvious!)
I don't think I've used this voronoi fracture workflow at all since the H16+ booleans were released, and I've removed that technique from my CGMA destruction class. Nowadays I would handle this in one of these ways:
- Running a primary boolean fracture to define the main chunks, and then running a secondary pass where I generate additional fragments on the edges of the main pieces. There are various ways to generate those secondary boolean edge cuts, and it's always a bit experimental.
- Fracture everything at once into lots of small pieces, and use noise or geometry-grouping to define the larger shapes from the smaller fracture. Then once those large chunks are defined, use constraints or the name attribute or double-packing to get them to behave as individual large pieces.
Hope this helps! :-)