Sign in to follow this  
ofer

Correct transparency rendering in viewport - possible?

Hi,

I just noticed that trying to view transparency on geometry in the viewport isn't really working, probably because of drawing order of the primitives.

I just wanted to know if there is any solution or a way around it. Or maybe I should sort the polys by their distance to the camera?

What Im trying to do is to build a kind of a "light table" or "onion skinning" asset to assist in animation, and I want the ghosts to be transparent.

Thanks.

The closest that you can get right now is to use a Primitive SOP and have it sort with respect to a camera object. This of course only works if one is looking through that particular camera in the viewport.

Well, it kind of works, but my idea is not practical, I think. The trail SOP leaves no attributes on the trails, so if I want changing opacity or color on the individual trails, I must use primitive groups with a name like:

g_$F, then use a python expression to use the group name for assigning the values in a Primitive SOP. This works, but it is very slow.

Thanks anyway.

Yes, I'm sure he means the Sort SOP.

Thanks, Jason! I'm losing my edge with age and lapse of reading the forums lately.

Thanks, Jason! I'm losing my edge with age and lapse of reading the forums lately.

Too much vim and not enough kate, and Mark - you've made my day:)