Sesi Internship

Hi guy's!

I've been approved for an internship (animation) with Side Effects in Toronto, I'm thrilled by this opportunity. Depending on my work permit I'll start at July 1st or august 1st, until new years eve.

I wonder if previous interns, or those who have references to it, might want to share there experiences here.

Nick

Some of my colleagues are ex-interns and there was a time I considered it as well. They're all pretty solid and enjoyed the experience. Work hard and create some cool stuff whilst you are there! Toronto is the developers office as well so pick their brains a bit :) - and pack a thick winter coat...

Yes, please please make a blog about it!!! :ph34r:

A Blog ....

I could do that. However I'm not sure what I can blog about. Since I've just received my intern contract and let's say there are quite some restrictions according to 'Disclosures of Information' which is obvious since it's a state of the art software developer. Never less I would love to do a technical blog, but I have to figure out what I write about. Don't expect any inside upcoming feature spoils, since I probably will be banned for life, which appears to me as more than reasonable ;-).

For family and friends or anyone who's interested I'll do a video blog about the 'total personal experience' (which will be on vimeo). Noting crazy but it will feature topics like receiving the approval email from Sidefx to the farewell party and meeting my new house mates. (I would be surprised if anyone next to my parents and 2 other people are gone watch this but anyway ;-)).

By starting this topic I was hoping for some previous interns to respond and maybe share there experiences. One of the big question marks I currently have, really boring but necessary, is about health insurance.

Edited by Nerox

I'm not an ex intern, but I was there for a few interns' stays :). It's a fantastic learning experience and you get to meet a lot of people in the industry that you wouldn't ordinarily get to meet, so great exposure too. There are a couple of ex-interns on here, but they seem to be scarce these days.

As for health insurance, you should speak to SESI and see if they can help. They may be able to give better advice than people here.

Good luck

M

As an intern that just left the Toronto office in December, I will say that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. You will find out for yourself soon enough though. Take advantage of the internship and location. You are in the same office as the developers. Everyone there is very laid back so don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. For the weekends, there is plenty around the city to keep you occupied. If you don't want to spend the money, you could always spend the Saturday at the office and work :).

I could go on and on about my experience there but, to be honest with you, you are just going to have to experience for yourself. When I say it is one of the greatest opportunities ever, I am not kidding. Just make sure you take the internship to the fullest and create some nice pieces!

Good luck!

-Ryan

As an intern that just left the Toronto office in December, I will say that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. You will find out for yourself soon enough though. Take advantage of the internship and location. You are in the same office as the developers. Everyone there is very laid back so don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. For the weekends, there is plenty around the city to keep you occupied. If you don't want to spend the money, you could always spend the Saturday at the office and work :).

I could go on and on about my experience there but, to be honest with you, you are just going to have to experience for yourself. When I say it is one of the greatest opportunities ever, I am not kidding. Just make sure you take the internship to the fullest and create some nice pieces!

Good luck!

-Ryan

Thanks for your enthusiastic reply, I like that :-).

To me it feels like great opportunity, I'll make sure I'll squeeze drop out of it. I just can't wait to get started :D. Can you share some of the things you created wile you we're there? I really curious. By the way, can you from your point of view suggest a good neighborhood?

For those who are interested, to convince Sesi they should approve me to the internship I've showed them these four clips:

Vimeo

Nick

Edited by Nerox

• 3 months later...

There we are, 3 months a head and 4 intense weeks of the internship have passed. I'm really enjoying my time out here, the weather is warm with a fair amount of humidity. I learned so much already we're I feel like I haven't even started jet :-).

Like I promised, I'm keeping a video diary. The first 2 episodes have been released, it's very personal but 'light weighted' enough to be interesting for a wider public, at least that's the intension ;-). So don't expect Houdini tricks and technical stuff all over the place.

It's about how I, an enthusiastic Dutch guy who originally grown up on a farm, experiences his first trip across the big ocean and how he manages him self standing in the City of Toronto.

I hope you'll enjoy it, cheers

Nick Goes to Toronto, Episode 1 - The Wait Is Over

Edited by Nerox

awesome bud, i didn't expect that your videos are going to be so personal and non-technical, really nice surprise, just keep them coming.

btw, don't forget to tell girl from beginning of first episode that she is absolutely gowgeous :D

hey Nick, your vids are really entertaining! :) I hope you can give us, your fellow european aliens, a taste on how´s being working in SESI and Toronto on a daily basis.

Keep them coming!

P.S: I think you need a bit less "face-cam" and more of what you´re seeing while we hear your opinions about it. For instance, we all wanted to see the terrible condition of your room. ;)

Edited by Netvudu

awesome bud, i didn't expect that your videos are going to be so personal and non-technical, really nice surprise, just keep them coming.

btw, don't forget to tell girl from beginning of first episode that she is absolutely gowgeous :D

I'll let her know.

The hole ironic thing about what she is saying is that my only real Houdini opponent in the 'amsterdam post production biz' is her boy friend :P. So she wishes me that I'll become the next Dutch Houdini master, but at the same time this means that she brings her boyfriend sort of in discredit if you know what I mean ;-).

• Like 1

hey Nick, your vids are really entertaining! :) I hope you can give us, your fellow european aliens, a taste on how´s being working in SESI and Toronto on a daily basis.

Keep them coming!

P.S: I think you need a bit less "face-cam" and more of what you´re seeing while we hear your opinions about it. For instance, we all wanted to see the terrible condition of your room. ;)

Thanks, you are totally right. But I discovered this after I finished the first episode, that's only a week ago. And of course there is a certain part in editing, but also in actually filming it. Which I did not enough until a week a go. But don't worry there more than enough to come. The video diary is also good motivation for me to do some things that are fun instead of just working ;-).

On the 'show the Sesi office' side I can't promise anything. I have to introduce the idea and we need to see if I get permission. I've introduced the video diary to my colleagues this morning, so just give it some time and we'll see what happens.

these are great!

but did you mean "Humidity"? because Toronto has that for sure!

keep having a good time and keep up with the videos...and if you can get some footage of Ed dancing that would be a rare treat :)

It's quite embarrassing but I just discovered that the fairly quiet guy sitting like 10 meters from my desk appears to be, who I like to recall as, 'The Edward from Odforce" :P. Personally I look at him as one of the core odforce members who most likely has something meaning full say according to Houdini. But since he is one of the actual developers that makes totally sense to me ;-).

Officially I just met Edward, and to be honest, the impression I got of him, tells me that I'm not 'really' sure if he is going to agree with that (like ever). But well see ;-).