Random link of interest

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mantragora

also interesting realtime pathtracing on GPU's

youtube compression is painful, but it looks glorious in person!

I'v seen Brigade (and the blog) couple months ago, but I thought that this is only R&D that we may see 5 or more years from now in games. Well, it looks that it may be faster...

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/brigade-officially-announced-powerful-graphics-api-aiming-to-replace-directx-or-opengl/

Edited by mantragora

Guest mantragora

When you will be watching this film think about Brigade + Oculus :D

* about Brigade read more in my previous post, the one above "symek" post

• 2 weeks later...

looks great, I also like the possibility to select  a part of the deformed mesh and get the rig control selected, would be great to have that kind of selection for characters, so much cleaner than some curves

Amazing… Worth having a proper look at this

Check from minute 31 or so… 

http://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/b/514486710

Edited by sanostol

Guest mantragora

Why on earth would you wan't that?

Quesion is "Why not"? Are you afraid that Microsoft will change his mind? Once it will go officialy opensurce with GitHub on board they will have no way back.

What are the technologies that Microsoft have (freely*) opened and were adopted by a wider community? I think that move addresses mobile game market and shouldn't impact others worlds, that is hopefully....

* - 'freely' as opposed to some of which had to be opened by court's sentence.

IMO Go/Python/Node on server side HTML5/JS/WEBGL on client side looks to be pretty sexier compare to .NET ... well for web app dev at least.

But as i have never touch .NET in my life maybe i'm not aware of certain possibilities it offer. But The M on the box doesn't sell well to me :)

Edited by sebkaine

That's the point. Something like .NET - that is a platform requiring endless development - is kind of a promise, and MS isn't really in a position to make any promises to open source / indie / independent community. It really doesn't matter that .NET would be open source. The question is who is going to support it and maintain it. By providing real support ($) and promotion to people concentrating on Windows mobile platforms, you drive the development further in that direction and make it the only growing option.

The only reason for opening .NET is to leverage non-MS markets for promoting MS game platforms. They can't expect people will develop their products twice, and DirectX apparently has lost battle in mobiles and PC (considering most game engines out there support or are pretty close to support all platforms).  Market escapes from vendor's solutions. MS tries again to hijack the market or at least to adopt to it on its own conditions.

The worst thing could happen if something like .NET would end up in every development platform as a simplest dev environment. Then, after a couple of years, MS will shape it against common interest, following its own. They worked hard for this reputation. Don't blame me.

Edited by symek

Guest mantragora

Another interesting project from M$ gone OpenSource http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-open-sources-roslyn-net-compiler-platform/

@Symek: Today we got Apple, Google, Amazon to block Microsoft. Microsoft tried in mobile old tactics and failed. Today they have to play with the same rules like others, or go down like Ballmer.

Edited by mantragora