Random link of interest

Jason

GAMES, Games, games... + ton of procedural stuff and a little of Houdini:

Lol - "They can give you white paper scientific bullshit all day"... hmmmm whilst they are making computer games.... righto

Edited by tar

Guest mantragora

Ok, last spam from me today ;)

OTOY new show of of Brigade Realtime pathtracer engine for games:

and of course impressive Unreal engine open world demo talk

Very cool stuff! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cloud chamber:

Well, crap. I came here to post a cloud chamber video. When I saw it I immediately though of ECC memory (and why everything I build has it). Thanks for posting it. The videos below are just of background radiation.  :D

'best, average, and worst case complexities for search and sorting algorithms'

http://bigocheatsheet.com

Big-O is an important algorithmics tool but it doesn't tell the whole story. The actual performance can differ by a *LOT* because of the hidden constants that are removed for analysis. In some cases, the hidden constants that show up in real implementations can cause them to be slower than an algorithm that has worst complexity!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"OpenGL NVIDIA Command-List: Approaching Zero Driver Overhead": demo showed during Siggraph Asia 2014 Talk

*Shipping with NVIDIA driver release 347.88 (March 2015)

Edited by tar

I never experienced the days of timesharing, now we all can :)

Tangentially related then is this GTC talk of Titan at Oak Ridge on GPU errors for large scale computing. Sounds boring ya, but is very interesting as they run this thing 90% capacity and has 18,000 GPUs

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2015/video/S5566.html

Guest tar

Quite uninteresting for non-OsX users but an open-letter to from Blender devs to Apple on their 'dismal' OpenCL support/ hopefully OpenGL gets some attention too!

Quote: 'Apparently OpenCL is not at the same level of priority than providing new Emoji and so we are stuck with broken drivers.'

http://preta3d.com/os-x-users-unite/

Edited by tar

In the near future, the capital of Sweden has turned into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. We join four soldiers on a routine mission in ‘Zone 3’, with the assignment to investigate an old surveillance tower that just went offline. That’s the setting in first-time director Andrée Wallin’s short film.
With Andrées direction, renowned visual concepts and designs, this short film is something extraordinary. Shot in London with an international cast, exteriors shot in Stockholm and incredible CGI and VFX by Bläck, this looks like an excerpt from a big budget blockbuster.

Houdini used for smoke simulations and some other stuff
Edited by Erik_JE